+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spirits

Quote Originally Posted by wester_ross_don View Post
    I'm a whisky-drinker too. Can't see far past Balvenie but there isn't too much I don't like (though a standard Ardbeg would be quite a long way down the "getting-quite-thirsty-now" list).

Also quite like the irish whiskey, it's a lot more watered-down tasting but a fair bit easier drinking when you just need a cooking whisky, it's a delivery mechanism after all. (Last time I was in NI I picked up some Bushmills but was shaking my head with a wry smile at the hoards pouring off buses excitedly in the car-park, it's not all that. All about the marketing I suppose).

Quite like a darker rum, like Diplomatico or Plantation too.
    Ardbeg Corryvreckan is the smokiest whisky around I think but it's actually nice and sweet too.

I was drinking Octomore on Islay a couple of years back. They boy in the Zoot suit behind the bar said it was the smokiest but I was pretty steaming already & didn’t really notice.
    They all taste better with coke in them

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    I was drinking Octomore on Islay a couple of years back. They boy in the Zoot suit behind the bar said it was the smokiest but I was pretty steaming already & didn’t really notice.
    It's not the smokiest but it's up there. Was it the distillery you were in? We go to Portnahaven along the road where her family come from.

I always find that folk that feel the need to say they don't like whisky are huns. Imo

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    Mason, that's right up there with your views on Highland teams v Diddy central belt teams.

BTW any Speyside fans, Cardhu Gold Reserve is on special offer, twenty-five sheet, in Morrison's just now. Normally retails north of forty.

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post
    Mason, that's right up there with your views on Highland teams v Diddy central belt teams.
    I put a dash of coke in a Glenfarclas 1961. The guy behind the bar wasn’t happy but I found it gave it a slightly sweeter taste & took the sting out it enough to down in a oney

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    It's not the smokiest but it's up there. Was it the distillery you were in? We go to Portnahaven along the road where her family come from.

I always find that folk that feel the need to say they don't like whisky are huns. Imo
    Stayed in Bowmore. Going back there next month for a weekend.

I always find that folk that talk up the merits of whisky, tend to look & dress like Nicky Fairbairn

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post
    BTW any Speyside fans, Cardhu Gold Reserve is on special offer, twenty-five sheet, in Morrison's just now. Normally retails north of forty.
    Good intel min. Walked from Drumoak, Kincardineshire to Banchory, Kincardineshire today, nipped into Morrisons in Banchory, Kincardineshire, and scored a bottle. I like Cardhu, even if it is marginally on the wrong side of the Spey, so this’ll be a treat.
    Last edited by 57vintage; 08-06-2021 at 11:59 AM.

One of the perks of retirement is musing “**** mowing the grass, there’s daytime drinking to be had, and I have a Cardhu to sample”.

Very pleasant, tasty on the palate, fine warmth on the epiglottis, and a warm pre-teatime glow, probably leading to “**** the salad intentions, I’ll heat that steak pie”.

I’ll try it with a mere thochtie of water next time as a taste experiment. I no longer subscribe to the macho Banffshire Mannies’ “nae need for watter, there was plenty put in when it wis in the mash tun”.

Nice one.
    As I've gotten aulder I've eschewed the 'nae water' mantra also.
    Merest smidgen enhances rather than diminishes IMHO.
    And as for coke in whisky......in spite of the endorsement of Mr Craig Finn during The Hold Steady's anthemic 'Constructive Summer', it is a tipple beloved only by h*ns and Tories.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast