+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Spirits

Not so much chatting up but more in surprise she had a drink for me as soon as I got to the bar .🙄

She was a Bonnie lassie Bianca was her name and told me she teached maths at Old Machar school .

She was pissed tho.

Hey Buc, I've seen what passes for an "aye" from you in the WYOWYN threads.
    What was it that attracted you to her?
    A pulse?

Lol .
    Very true I did enjoy rather large lassies maybe up to a size 22 they were always fun to be with and good lying down .

But will say this Bianca was most likely about a size 8.🙄

Size 8!?
    I'm surprised you gave her the time of day.
    Did you see her as a "feeder project"?

FAO Neeps
    What is best kind of sugar for making wine or do you just plain to normal castor sugar?
    Just starting getting some kit together before begin to brew .

I just use ordinary granulated sugar, and have never felt the need tae use anythin else. Caster sugar will be easier tae dissolve, but that's the only advantage I can think o'.

When I started out, I looked into making invert syrup. Apparently, the yeast can get goin' quicker wi' the syrup because it doesna hae tae break the disaccharide sucrose down into the monosaccharides glucose and fructose.

This is done by boiling up 1kg of ordinary sugar in 1 pint of water with a level teaspoon of citric acid, until the liquid becomes a pale straw colour. This can be added straight to the fermenting bin, or cooled and stored for later use.

Personally, for all the difference it made to the start of the ferment, I didna think it was worth the extra effort.

There are various other sugars brewers will swear by, but some of these are hoorin' expensive.

Nearly every wine I make starts out the same. Around 1.5 pints of boiling water per gallon poured into the fermenting bin with one teabag per gallon (for tannin), then 1kg sugar per gallon chucked in and stirred til dissolved. Then in goes the fruit, top up to the appropriate mark with cold water, check temperature, then add the yeast, nutrient, pectolase (if required) and about 30mls per gallon of lemon/lime juice to ensure the acidity ... although, with some wines (eg. Orange, Rhubarb ) this last step will be unnecessary.

..... If making a flower wine, I will top up with cold water before adding the flowers ... so the heat does not destroy the fragrance.

If you want to make a stronger wine, wait until the wine has dealt with that 1kg of sugar before adding more .... and add a little at a time .... like say, 4oz, then a few days later, another 4oz, then 2oz at a time. This is where the invert syrup can be useful..... if you boil up 40oz of sugar and a teaspoon of citric acid, you will finish up with around 40 fluid oz of syrup, each fluid oz containing 1oz of invert sugar.

Best of luck with the brewing

Cheers Neeps.
    Where you get your yeast,nutrient( type) and pectalose from ?

Quote Originally Posted by Auldtoontoby View Post
    Cheers Neeps.
    Where you get your yeast,nutrient( type) and pectalose from ?
    I tend to buy in bulk from ebay ..... it's all a bit expensive buying in small quantities. There are some good outlets online, but all the ones I know of only do free postage on large orders.

If you're starting out and need to invest in a lot of kit, this may be a good option for you.

I notice this company seems to have decent prices ... https://www.biggerjugs.co.uk/ .... and the postage costs also seem reasonable.

As for glass demijohns .... they are pretty expensive ... anything from 8 to 12 quid. But if you need a temporary fix, you can buy 5 litres of still water fae Tesco for £1.20 and use the plastic bottle. you'll need to drill a hole in the lid and find a way of making an airtight seal for the airlock, but it's nae difficult.

Meanwhile, you can ask around for demijohns .... there's always some radge wi a spare one or two up in their loft

Cheers Neeps.
    I got some demi John's, aul stock o faithers an got a plastic brewing thing too.
    That biggerjugs outfit seem good, got sugar at good price fae them n some other ingredients too .

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast