+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Derby's Best English Line-Up

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    If I go by 11 I've seen in the flesh (and remember), I'd probably go with from mid 90s onwards:

Taylor

C Powell Keogh Barker Cole

Ibe Osman Carsley Johnson

Sturridge Howard

That was actually really hard.
    you poor sod. Heros all, but 'my' team would beat yours 9 times out of 10. One of the benefits of being old I guess

Don't disagree. For every position, when I thought of the best players, they were all non-English! Wingers were especially hard to think of. I think my team would get promoted and stay up, but not much more.

I should probably clarify that Johnson was of the Seth variety too!

RA - I disagree that keepers like Shilton wouldn't cope today, clean sheets win titles, and the best managers would know how to use them. If it was all about footwork, we'd put midfielders in goal (not ours obviously!)

If I go by 11 I've seen in the flesh (and remember), I'd probably go with from mid 90s onwards:

Taylor

C Powell Keogh Barker Cole

Ibe Osman Carsley Johnson

Sturridge Howard

That was actually really hard.
    Ibe...controversial.
    Osman...good call...contender for all time XI.
    Carsley...Irish.

Take your point Adi...but I think the demands on keepers have changed more than for any other player with recent(ish) rule changes.
    They now all seem to have to be at least 6’ 2’’ and have a good kicking game.

P.S. Johnson? Presumably Tommy not Bradley.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 01-06-2021 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Ibe...controversial.
    Osman...good call...contender for all time XI.
    Carsley...Irish.

Take your point Adi...but I think the demands on keepers have changed more than for any other player with recent(ish) rule changes.
    They now all seem to have to be at least 6’ 2’’ and have a good kicking game.

P.S. Johnson? Presumably Tommy not Bradley.
    Bugger! Ok, Simpson in for Carsley.

Ibe was desperation. Seth Johnson as he had a wonderful left foot and would be a gift for Howard's head.

I'm not really one for comparing era's, ultimately the best players are the best. I can't see someone like David de Gea coping with pimple gloves and the ball bobbling at him on a mud pitch, or standing out as anything special in the days where there was no back pass rule - but then, I'm sure he would adapt, as the best do.

Ibe was desperation. Seth Johnson as he had a wonderful left foot and would be a gift for Howard's head.

I'm not really one for comparing era's, ultimately the best players are the best. I can't see someone like David de Gea coping with pimple gloves and the ball bobbling at him on a mud pitch, or standing out as anything special in the days where there was no back pass rule - but then, I'm sure he would adapt, as the best do.
    Ive had another think and maybe ‘your’ team would be closer to ‘my’ team than I first suggested. Skill wise there’s a gulf between them (sorry) but your team had one thing that counts for so much these days - match fitness/strength. No way was the fitness regime as fine tuned in the 70s as it’s become, and at your team’s game pace my team might run out of legs after 70 mins. Our 95/96 team were IMO unusually strong either through training methods or more likely good luck and I watched it muscle it’s way ahead in a number of games in that muddy winter when otherwise they were heading for defeat

Stand easy, Carsley only Irish by convenience, born in Brum, lives in Brum

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    If I was voting for devotion to the cause not absolute skill he'd be top ten.

Interesting about Boulton, he looked ridiculously small in the goal, but with the ball at knee height ping-ponging around the box or one on one with a striker his lack of height was actually an advantage
    Still a full 3 inches taller than his predecessor, Little Les.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)