+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Derby's Best English Line-Up

Derby's Best English Line-Up

Something to keep us amused during the close season.

What do you consider to be Derby's ultimate line-up consisting of only Englishmen? My choice is only players I saw, you include 'by reputation' choices if you want

Me:

Shilton

Nish McFarland Wright Todd (out of position)

Gregory Hughes Huddlestone (first spell)

Hector George Hinton

Sub Davidson

Manager Clough

Anyone?

To come: Scotland, Wales, Ireland (combined), Europe, ROW

Shall we just start with the English players from 74/75 and plug the gaps?

You mention Todd as being "out of position" but not Nish. Dave was a left back, you have him on the right.

I'll go with the following based on Schteve's attacking formation:

Boulton
    Webster McFarland Wright Nish
    Thorne Todd
    Mount George Hector Hinton

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    You mention Todd as being "out of position" but not Nish. Dave was a left back, you have him on the right.

I'll go with the following based on Schteve's attacking formation:

Boulton
    Webster McFarland Wright Nish
    Thorne Todd
    Mount George Hector Hinton
    Just got my port and starboard wrong, ignore me. Interesting you chose Boulton, it was toss of a coin time between him and Shilton for me

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Just got my port and starboard wrong, ignore me. Interesting you chose Boulton, it was toss of a coin time between him and Shilton for me
    Shilts was passed his best (but still very good) when he came to us. Boults stepped out of the shadows to become Mr Reliable following his predecessors Boxing Day Bungle, no frills just a damned good and solid keeper who didn't need gloves.

Also interesting that while so many players from ‘yesteryear’ make the cut you disagree over keepers.

Can’t really comment on Boulton but I suspect neither he nor Shilton could ‘hack it’ in today’s game. No room nowadays for a 5’11’ keeper, and Shilton - an undeniably great goalkeeper - would be considered a liability in the modern game with the ball at his feet.

No such reservations about the other oldies, but no place for Bloomer? OTR will be having words.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 01-06-2021 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Also interesting that while so many players from ‘yesteryear’ make the cut you disagree over keepers.

Can’t really comment on Boulton but I suspect neither he nor Shilton could ‘hack it’ in today’s game. No room nowadays for a 5’11’ keeper, and Shilton - an undeniably great goalkeeper - would be considered a liability in the modern game with the ball at his feet.

No such reservations about the other oldies, but no place for Bloomer? OTR will be having words.
    Bloomer excluded because I didn't see him play, I'm not one to go on reputation

Bloomer excluded because I didn't see him play, I'm not one to go on reputation
    Only joking, AF...Steve Powell unfortunate to be omitted though.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Only joking, AF...Steve Powell unfortunate to be omitted though.
    If I was voting for devotion to the cause not absolute skill he'd be top ten.

Interesting about Boulton, he looked ridiculously small in the goal, but with the ball at knee height ping-ponging around the box or one on one with a striker his lack of height was actually an advantage

If I go by 11 I've seen in the flesh (and remember), I'd probably go with from mid 90s onwards:

Taylor

C Powell Keogh Barker Cole

Ibe Osman Carsley Johnson

Sturridge Howard

That was actually really hard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)