+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Euro 2020

Quote Originally Posted by jwok View Post
    Oh dear. Same old story.
    Did we expect anything different ... aside from the hype?!

Quote Originally Posted by sieb1886 View Post
    Did we expect anything different ... aside from the hype?!
    We'd beaten the Czechs in the last three meetings (with a dozen caveats but still) so I think it's fair to say we had a chance.

But in general way too many people confuse being at the Euros with being good. We're improving and we clearly have a new generation or two which gives plenty hope for the future but the facts are we were miles away from qualifying automatically, got a charity place dreamed up over a UEFA liquid lunch and even then almost blew it with a performance v Israel so bad the manager would have been close to getting binned had we not won the shoot-out...we played very well in Belgrade and v Holland (in a friendly) and well v the Czechs at home. Otherwise Clarke has done ok but it's been no more than making a bunch of - largely - below average players hard to beat. You suddenly come up against better teams, playing for something meaningful and your limitations are immediately exposed.

I know it's only half-time and anything can happen but I've been impressed with O'Donnell. Keep it up.

Super stuff, thoroughly deserved point and massive credit to SOD for producing the game of his life after Monday.

Not quite in our own hands but you'd probably have taken this situation at the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    Super stuff, thoroughly deserved point and massive credit to SOD for producing the game of his life after Monday.

Not quite in our own hands but you'd probably have taken this situation at the start.
    Big congrat's to O'Donnell. Made a fair few folk eat humble pie with that display. Roll on Tuesday ...

Quote Originally Posted by sieb1886 View Post
    Big congrat's to O'Donnell. Made a fair few folk eat humble pie with that display. Roll on Tuesday ...
    There are many still cryin' oot fir that Nathan Paterson to play on Tuesday. Why is that do you think?

An overblown sense of entitlement is my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodyG View Post
    There are many still cryin' oot fir that Nathan Paterson to play on Tuesday. Why is that do you think?

An overblown sense of entitlement is my guess.
    Yup - The Establishment ain't happy with a hard working, no-nonsense, nearing 30 full-back keeping 'The Golden Child' on the bench. I for one will be applauding SOD from the terraces at Hampden on Tuesday.

Ah well, beaten by a better team. Now give O'Donnell a fortnight's holiday before we sell him.

Quote Originally Posted by jwok View Post
    Ah well, beaten by a better team. Now give O'Donnell a fortnight's holiday before we sell him.
    No complaints - the side 30 places above us in the rankings showed up tonight. But we're looking better, though our strikers, however much they contribute to the team, just don't do enough striking in the old - fashioned sense of belting the ball into the net with some regularity. We do have a decent crop of players, but we're short at the top end.
    But there has been progress.
    I think you're right about Steven - I think he did enough to interest other clubs.

We certainly are improving, we have a handful - only a handful mind - of players who can compete at this level and currently a good few more who might make it. Will they? Who knows. But it's better than being down and out with no hope.

Given where we were under McLeish, making this tournament via the play-offs and building some momentum was Clarke's only goal. He did that and with a soft WC group we will hopefully be competitive again sooner rather than later.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)