+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I’ve been offered this car.

There you go Nudgey lol, you've got your normal 'On topic' thread back again.
    Ive seen the error of my ways and taken the OT away from the title. I got limbo'ed to be honest, and what you were trying to say just went completely over my head.
    Nahh then, you carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    I’m not having a dig at anyone - it’s just a simple analogy.
    Why would somebody refuse to buy something offered to them at £30 - knowing it’s worth £180 and there are people lining up to buy it ???

I’m finding it difficult to understand why more of our supporters are not as upset about this as what I am.
    What we have been told makes no sense whatsoever.

If Dane Murphy had NOT said that a price had been agreed and there is a clause in the contract that gives Barnsley first shout ....... then I could have understood it.
    But that is NOT the case.
    1. Well perhaps it just breaks FFP rules off the bat. We cant spend money we don’t have, FFP doesn’t work by speculation , god forbid he could have a career ending injury at anytime.
    2. It’s not healthy to have a player in the squad at such a disparity to the rest in terms of wages.
    3. In reality a player who knows little about Barnsley and has come over to be put in the shop window and has a chance at big money in the big league won’t want to stay even if we could afford his price. Once a head is turned, seen it time and again.

Move on. It was inevitable as soon as he bagged his first goal or two he wasn’t staying with us.

Guy I’m buying it off wants £2000 for it.
    I’ve had the car for a few days and it’s a bit expensive to run but it drives like a dream.
    Local garage has looked around it and they say it’s sound.
    A fella who lives just down the road has seen it and he likes it and has offered me £9000 for it.
    But anyway I’ve decided not to buy it.
    Because when you’ve got home you’ve realised the car will cost £20,000 a week to run and you’re only on £30K a year
    You should never have listened to that salesman YN

Plus you can’t make the car park at your house if it would prefer to park at that big mansion down the road, it doesn’t matter what the salesman said.

Bloke who owns Everton bought the car. Saying it was a present for Dike next season

I’m not having a dig at anyone - it’s just a simple analogy.
    Why would somebody refuse to buy something offered to them at £30 - knowing it’s worth £180 and there are people lining up to buy it ???

I’m finding it difficult to understand why more of our supporters are not as upset about this as what I am.
    What we have been told makes no sense whatsoever.

If Dane Murphy had NOT said that a price had been agreed and there is a clause in the contract that gives Barnsley first shout ....... then I could have understood it.
    But that is NOT the case.
    I suspect, Nudge, that these owners are not daft when arranging contracts (that's based on what I've seen regarding player contracts so far). I wouldn't be surprised that, if in the case where Dike did well and therefore his wage demands became too high for us, then we would be paid a substantial amount for putting him in the shop window, so to speak. I don't see us losing on this deal and I can't remember his exact words but I'm sure that Dane alluded to the signing of Dike as being a 'no lose' situation. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a percentage of his transfer fee at a new club.

Quote Originally Posted by EastStandRed View Post
    Because when you’ve got home you’ve realised the car will cost £20,000 a week to run and you’re only on £30K a year
    You should never have listened to that salesman YN

Plus you can’t make the car park at your house if it would prefer to park at that big mansion down the road, it doesn’t matter what the salesman said.
    Yeah but .......
    A £2000 car int gunna cost £20000 a week to run is it - nar is it?
    But even if it did - the fella down the road wants to buy it and has offered £9000 for it.’
    So even if it had running costs of £20000 per week I’d make sure I only had the car for an hour.
    So that’s:
    20000 per week cost
    168 hours in a week
    That’s about £120 per hour
    Buy at £2000 - sell at £9000 within the hour
    Total profit = £7880.
    Can’t lose.
    And neither could Barnsley.
    Only poor business acumen would turn down a car (and a Dike) deal like that.

Dike hasn’t said he wouldn’t sign permanently for Barnsley.
    That’s an assumption.

Can’t see the agreed Dike set price being bigger than £3m - but let’s say it’s £5m.
    Even if we offered Dike £55 k per week - which is an enormous sum for a 21 year old footballer.
    But say we did - so that’s about £3m per year.
    And we put him on a 2 year contract - with a plan to move him on in summer 2022.
    Total cost 5 + 3 = £8 million.
    Premier pundits valuations of Dike at the moment is 15 to 20 m.
    Dike is only young and will get better year on year.
    But even if we sold him for the lower valuation of £15m - that’s 15 - 8m - that’s still a nice £7 m profit for Barnsley.
    If Orlando asks for 20% of profit that’s still
    £5.6 million profit for Barnsley.
    In conclusion - we have another season of Dike at Barnsley knowing that there is a bumper profit at the end of it.

I’d be very surprised if the club signs a replacement for Dike that is anywhere near as good.
    And although it’s sad that we won’t see Dike pushing the club towards another playoff place - the main concern here is that the owners are still not willing to push the boat out a little bit further even after we have finished 5th in the league.
    Last edited by Young_Nudger; 03-06-2021 at 09:28 AM.

Yeah but .......
    But even if it did - the fella down the road wants to buy it and has offered £9000 for it.’
    So even if it had running costs of £20000 per week I’d make sure I only had the car for an hour.
    So that’s:
    20000 per week cost
    168 hours in a week
    Total profit = £7880.
    Can’t lose.

That’s an assumption.

Can’t see the agreed Dike set price being bigger than £3m - but let’s say it’s £5m.
    Even if we offered Dike £55 k per week - which is an enormous sum for a 21 year old footballer.
    And we put him on a 2 year contract - with a plan to move him on in summer 2022.
    But even if we sold him for the lower valuation of £15m - that’s 15 - 8m - that’s still a nice £7 m profit for Barnsley.
    In conclusion - we have another season of Dike at Barnsley knowing that there is a bumper profit at the end of it.

I’d be very surprised if the club signs a replacement for Dike that is anywhere near as good.
    And although it’s sad that we won’t see Dike pushing the club towards another playoff place - the main concern here is that the owners are still not willing to push the boat out a little bit further even after we have finished 5th in the league.
    jezzz you do come out with some 5h1te it was never going to happen unless we got promotion just let it go (i did write lots of other not nice stuff but deleted it as the world is now full of PC snowflakes).

Yeah but .......
    So that’s:
    20000 per week cost
    168 hours in a week
    Total profit = £7880.
    Can’t lose.

That’s an assumption.

FFS Nudge, gu to Halfords and get a grip.

There's no guarantees in football. Dike could get a career ending injury for instance. Weerz thi profit then? Club would gu bust.

Yeah but .......
    So that’s:
    20000 per week cost
    168 hours in a week
    Total profit = £7880.
    Can’t lose.

That’s an assumption.

We had a car on the forecourt which we couldn’t be bothered starting and thought was faulty. We went and sold it to someone down the road. Turns out nothing was wrong with it and had a great engine. It’s probably worth 5 times what we paid for it and we even tried to buy it back. Turns out it will be turning up on our car park next season

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12