+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Gareth Southgate-The Ultimate Yes man

They were actually better than I was expecting today, but I wasn't expecting much anyway. Playing Trippyay at left-back seemed perverse when I first heard the team, and it still does. I cannot see the point of it, if he likes Kieran that much then play him at right back and Chilwell or Shaw on the left. Phillips was exceptional, I wasn't expecting that level of performance from him, that was a bonus which made the difference between a draw and a win imo.

To be fair to Gareth, he picked a team to win 1-0 at best, and they did just that.
    Last edited by sinkov; 13-06-2021 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    They were actually better than I was expecting today, but I wasn't expecting much anyway. Playing Trippyay at left-back seemed perverse when I first heard the team, and it still does. I cannot see the point of it, if he likes Kieran that much then play him at right back and Chilwell or Shaw on the left. Phillips was exceptional, I wasn't expecting that level of performance from him, that was a bonus which made the difference between a draw and a win imo.

To be fair to Gareth, he picked a team to win 1-0 at best, and they did just that.
    Pretty much spot on appraisal is that sinkov, although I thought picking Trippier with his big match experience and temperament was the right call.

Thumbs up Pickford's kicking.

Pickford had me $hitting bricks on occasions yesterday, his kicking was horrible, but not one word from the media darlings.

Pope would have been crucified. The lad is well better off having a break and hopefully enjoying his jollies.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Pretty much spot on appraisal is that sinkov, although I thought picking Trippier with his big match experience and temperament was the right call.
    I don't think either Shaw or Chilwell are short of big match experience BT, and are comfortable attacking down the left hand side, whereas Kieran is not, he can't centre a ball with his left foot so just turns back onto his right foot all the time. He's a defender's dream on the left, they know exactly what he's going to do.

I remain bemused at the way football managers/coaches can make a simple game appear difficult.

I don't think either Shaw or Chilwell are short of big match experience BT, and are comfortable attacking down the left hand side, whereas Kieran is not, he can't centre a ball with his left foot so just turns back onto his right foot all the time. He's a defender's dream on the left, they know exactly what he's going to do.

I remain bemused at the way football managers/coaches can make a simple game appear difficult.
    Some managers will squeeze in a favoured player at the expense of another. Southgate does it, Sean Dyche doesn't. I have a soft spot for Trippier and I'm happy to see him play, but at left back I would prefer Chilwell.

I have no idea how Trippier did not know he was thirty yards away from Pickford when he headed that ball back. Dodgy!

Well said sinkov. I really like Kieran. however, playing him out of position is not a plus for me, however, I am not the manager so it matters not!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57462001

I don’t think playing one of the best right backs in the world at left back was getting a big call right. What a waste and what message does it send to the left backs in his squad? I would drop Walker at RB or move him to CB if playing a 3. Phillips was a good call. He was man of the match for me. I still don’t think we need Phillips AND Rice in the same side especially if it means leaving Grealish out. Bring on Scotland now.

Going with James and Shaw apparently, at least he's seen the utter folly of playing Tripps on the left, Shaw is a much better attacking option on that side. No problem with him dropping Walker either, he's an accident waiting to happen, but why James and not Tripps on the right ? Trippier is twice the player on the right, so if he's good enough for left-back he must be an absolute shoo in on the right, but no, Gareth puts James in.

I really don't understand how Gareth's brain works. Still, as ever, none of it matters, just win.

Going with James and Shaw apparently, at least he's seen the utter folly of playing Tripps on the left, Shaw is a much better attacking option on that side. No problem with him dropping Walker either, he's an accident waiting to happen, but why James and not Tripps on the right ? Trippier is twice the player on the right, so if he's good enough for left-back he must be an absolute shoo in on the right, but no, Gareth puts James in.

I really don't understand how Gareth's brain works. Still, as ever, none of it matters, just win.
    I really don't think Gareth understands how Gareth's brain works sinkov.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I really don't think Gareth understands how Gareth's brain works sinkov.
    I'd love to hear him try to explain why he considered Trippier better than Shaw or Chilwell on the left for the Croatia game, but not as good as James on the right for Scotland, I think he's confused.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)