+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 24 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Thread: The Euros thread

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Their pressing of the opposition when they don't have the ball is epic.
    it is very 80s in many ways. Love it

Just a thought on penalties in the modern game.

Ok so a defender is facing his own goal. The ball is within reach and he goes to clear it.
    He can't see an attacker behind him. He might not even hear him.
    As he goes into the act of clearing the ball the attacker nips in and makes an attempt to play the ball as the defender is kicking it.
    The attacker goes down as if hit by a sniper in the crowd and is awared a penalty.

How can it be a penalty if a) the defender couldn't even see the attacker and b) he's making a legitimate attempt to clear the ball without interfering with the attacker?

I'm on the attacker's side normally especially with VAR (his eyebrows were clearly offside) but I just don't understand how that is a penalty nearly every time. Been a long time since I played though 🙉

Quote Originally Posted by Shedboy1971 View Post
    I love the way Italy play. See the ability of strikers to take a step to side to enable a larger target to shoot on. Its breathtaking to watch. Funny i recall playing for broughty athletic and being told this. wonder why more forwards dont do it lol
    They look impressive don't they. If had to put the house on Belguim or Italy it's going on Italy. Italy v France would be hard to call.

With Italy you always feel their weakness is if you can get in their heads, get them upset, see if you can rough them up a bit and disturb their rhythm.

Couldn't see Italy dealing with Hendry and Hanley though 🙈

Not a fan of Martin Keown but I think he nails it here.

Martin Keown: Scotland are capable of playing good football but they didn't set up to do that against the Czech Republic. They were very direct.

I was quite shocked and surprised how often Scotland went long in that game. Especially in the first half, every time the keeper David Marshall got it, he launched it.

If they adopt that style again, it will be a different test for our centre-backs, and for Declan Rice in front of them, because it will be a throwback - more akin to the kind of game England manager Gareth Southgate might have faced as a player at club level rather than international level.

Scotland's biggest threat is Andrew Robertson going down the left-hand side. He created six chances in Monday's game on his own, and he is very dangerous, but they don't have the same down the right and it makes them a little bit one-dimensional.

They have to hope that Kieran Tierney is fit because he and Robertson take it in turns to charge forward down that flank. I watched them in their 2-2 friendly draw with the Netherlands at the start of the month and it was almost as if they were exchanging a relay baton.

But one of the mistakes they made against the Czechs was that they were too physical. The two Czech centre-halves were eating up a lot of those long balls, and Scotland did not show much quality or composure in the final third.

I was surprised that Scotland manager Steve Clarke went with players who had helped them qualify - in Adams they have got a Premier League quality centre-forward. He should have started that game and I expect he will be in their team on on Friday.

Must admit I selected Dykes over Adams in my starting 11 for the Czech game, a mistake. Has to start tomorrow.

I would love to say i knew who was going to win this year, but i cannot split Italy, France, Belgium and the Netherlands. Add in Portugal as well and it becomes impossible to predict!

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    I would love to say i knew who was going to win this year, but i cannot split Italy, France, Belgium and the Netherlands. Add in Portugal as well and it becomes impossible to predict!
    I have got France to win,Italy EW and unfortunately Turkey as my dark horses.I placed those bets on the 11th of June just prior to the 1st match.

Sadiq Khan said dinnie come soon,
    the forecast says its pyssing doon,
    its like when we were banned fae Croker,
    another phucking English Joker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUHF...ankurve-Ultras

unlikely?,yes but not impossible,FACT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra52...sneacailcairds

No doubt we’ll get grubbed tonight in the end. BUT, you never know. 1999 we’d got beat at Hampden and the English press were predicting a procession in the second leg but we went down there, showed complete devotion to the cause and won 1-0 against an England side with Beckham, Sol Campbell, Alan Shearer, Paul Scholes, Tony Adams, Gary Neville et al all in it. And deservedly so as well - it could and should have been more. With a bit of luck and fire in the bellies, we CAN do this - they are not nearly as good as they think they are.

COME ON SCOTLAND!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgvgOxVzSMw

Page 24 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)