+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charlie Cooke

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Charlie Cooke

One for the older eens; 57Vintage or Donsdaft for example

Listening to Off The Ball today and Cosgrove was waxing lyrical about the mercurial winger, and how he went from Dundee to Chelsea.

I always thought that he went from us to London but on investigation, he went from us to Dundee before his bigger move south. How was that allowed to happen; manager didn’t rate him? Or were Dundee looked at as a bigger club than us in the early 60s?

I seem to recall there was some jiggery pokery in relation to this deal, certainly controversy.
    A wee bit before my time, I'm sure he only played one season at Dundee?

Mebbes some of the aulder radges can fill us in?

Quote Originally Posted by Feck_the_Huns View Post
    One for the older eens; 57Vintage or Donsdaft for example

Listening to Off The Ball today and Cosgrove was waxing lyrical about the mercurial winger, and how he went from Dundee to Chelsea.

I always thought that he went from us to London but on investigation, he went from us to Dundee before his bigger move south. How was that allowed to happen; manager didn’t rate him? Or were Dundee looked at as a bigger club than us in the early 60s?
    Older eens. I like that😁😁

Just before my time.

I am too young to have seen him play. My first Pittodrie experience was 3 Jan 1966 v St Perth. 2-0 up at HT and we lost 2-3. FFS.

I can recall both his moves, to TMSTID for £40k which seemed to be a good fee for the time (future jailbird Dave Smith went hunwards in summer 66 for £45k), but when TMSTID nearly doubled their money to £72.5k when they sold him to Chelsea, I think the Green Final letters page was stappit with correspondence from Fuming of Fittie, Growling of Garthdee and Naeganback of Nellfield Place questioning directorial competence rather than alleging hooky practice.

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    Just before my time.

I am too young to have seen him play. My first Pittodrie experience was 3 Jan 1966 v St Perth. 2-0 up at HT and we lost 2-3. FFS.

I can recall both his moves, to TMSTID for £40k which seemed to be a good fee for the time (future jailbird Dave Smith went hunwards in summer 66 for £45k), but when TMSTID nearly doubled their money to £72.5k when they sold him to Chelsea, I think the Green Final letters page was stappit with correspondence from Fuming of Fittie, Growling of Garthdee and Naeganback of Nellfield Place questioning directorial competence rather than alleging hooky practice.
    Dave Smith, fae Aberdeen? Phit did go to jail for?

Remember D.G. Milne fae Northfield’s letters in the Greener?

Quote Originally Posted by Feck_the_Huns View Post
    Dave Smith, fae Aberdeen? Phit did go to jail for?

Remember D.G. Milne fae Northfield’s letters in the Greener?
    I seem to recall Dave Smith's spell giving Her Majesty pleasure was down to financial irregularities, but once again I stand to be corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    Just before my time.

Being 7 yrs older than you I did see Charlie Cooke in his pomp at Pittodrie and he was one of those players who, as soon as they get the ball, you move forward on the barrier (old fashioned mannies gruns) because you knew there was a good chance that something good was going to happen. Couldn't believe we sold him to Dundee. When I moved to London in '68 I was delighted to see was someone who all football fans were talking about. Quote from Wikii - On his league debut the following season against West Ham United, Cooke waltzed past England's World Cup-winning captain Bobby Moore en route to scoring the winner for Chelsea.
    Last edited by dons8321; 05-06-2021 at 06:35 PM.

Did we not try to punt him to Leeds first with a young Billy Bremner being part of the deal?

Financial fichering, monetary malarkey, shekel shenanigans.

Embezzlement, I think.

Something to do with a gambling addiction, I believe.

Not the last hun to play fast and loose with the filthy lucre, though. Next week it’ll be 9 years since Liquidation Day.

He ran the show in the first half of the Hampden game v England in 68. 1-1 draw (John Hughes goal for Scotland?). Ramsey had him man-marked in the second half, and he fell out of it.

There’s probably a fragment of a song from one of our 90s bands somewhere on tape, with Charlie name-checked as a Proper Mannies’ Mod style icon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast