+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Was he right?

Was he right?

I’ve just about read and watched everything online I can find about yesterday’s game now and am trying compute in my brain if what the Chesterfield manager said was true or not with regards to them ‘controlling the game’.

To be fair to him/them, Chesterfield really did limit us to very little in the first half, through their own tactics and our own lack of inventiveness and cautious approach. At times we played like we were earlier in the season, scared to play a forward pass or drive forward. It looked like our wing backs weren’t in the game at all and more often than not opted to come short for the ball instead of spinning in behind the defenders to creat chances...Miller made it happen once or twice but Brindley was on the periphery of the game, possibly due to Rawlinson not having the distribution that Chicksen has.

When Chesterfield decided to play football instead of time wasting or hoofing the ball long they gave us real problems, and their second goal was well worked and highlighted our midfield and defensive frailties. I’m not complaining but had their manager opted to go for a third goal at that point I wonder if they could have beat us comfortably?

The second half was a different story. Chesterfield chose to sit deep, feeling they were comfortable enough to soak up whatever we threw at them, but there was a different feel or urgency to the Notts team by that point. Our midfield started to win the ball back quicker and in more dangerous positions and the decision to move Brindley into RCB was decisive in getting more attacks started from the back.

It’s true that we still struggled to create anything clear cut, but the fact we were constantly in dangerous positions and forcing set pieces in the end proved critical. We attacked down both flanks and although it wasn’t his best performance, the movement of Knowles at least gave us another dimension in which to work. Indeed, I think the loss of Jim O’Brien can’t be understated in our lack of chance creation yesterday.

That being said, we really rode our luck at times and if it weren’t for Slocombe making ***** saves from Tyson and in the very last few minutes it would have been a very different result. It was difficult to see from my angle but were Tysons runs offside? Very poor defending and cause for concern if he wasn’t. Perhaps that’s why Ellis said he wasn’t happy with his performance post match on the radio?

So that brings me back to their managers comments. In the first half I think he got it spot on, they were comfortable really, but in the second half he failed to react to us and chose to try and shut up shop instead of putting the tie to bed. I think his anger and disappointment was really at himself, realising that if he had played the game on the front foot they could and should have beaten us yesterday....tough titty fella, take it on the chin.

I do hope Burchnall works on some of the frailties from yesterday for next week, and also that we can see a return of O’Brien to the starting line up for Torquay, but in the meantime I’m just going to enjoy what was a memorable match and day out at Meadow Lane!

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    I’ve just about read and watched everything online I can find about yesterday’s game now and am trying compute in my brain if what the Chesterfield manager said was true or not with regards to them ‘controlling the game’.

To be fair to him/them, Chesterfield really did limit us to very little in the first half, through their own tactics and our own lack of inventiveness and cautious approach. At times we played like we were earlier in the season, scared to play a forward pass or drive forward. It looked like our wing backs weren’t in the game at all and more often than not opted to come short for the ball instead of spinning in behind the defenders to creat chances...Miller made it happen once or twice but Brindley was on the periphery of the game, possibly due to Rawlinson not having the distribution that Chicksen has.

When Chesterfield decided to play football instead of time wasting or hoofing the ball long they gave us real problems, and their second goal was well worked and highlighted our midfield and defensive frailties. I’m not complaining but had their manager opted to go for a third goal at that point I wonder if they could have beat us comfortably?

The second half was a different story. Chesterfield chose to sit deep, feeling they were comfortable enough to soak up whatever we threw at them, but there was a different feel or urgency to the Notts team by that point. Our midfield started to win the ball back quicker and in more dangerous positions and the decision to move Brindley into RCB was decisive in getting more attacks started from the back.

It’s true that we still struggled to create anything clear cut, but the fact we were constantly in dangerous positions and forcing set pieces in the end proved critical. We attacked down both flanks and although it wasn’t his best performance, the movement of Knowles at least gave us another dimension in which to work. Indeed, I think the loss of Jim O’Brien can’t be understated in our lack of chance creation yesterday.

That being said, we really rode our luck at times and if it weren’t for Slocombe making ***** saves from Tyson and in the very last few minutes it would have been a very different result. It was difficult to see from my angle but were Tysons runs offside? Very poor defending and cause for concern if he wasn’t. Perhaps that’s why Ellis said he wasn’t happy with his performance post match on the radio?

So that brings me back to their managers comments. In the first half I think he got it spot on, they were comfortable really, but in the second half he failed to react to us and chose to try and shut up shop instead of putting the tie to bed. I think his anger and disappointment was really at himself, realising that if he had played the game on the front foot they could and should have beaten us yesterday....tough titty fella, take it on the chin.

I do hope Burchnall works on some of the frailties from yesterday for next week, and also that we can see a return of O’Brien to the starting line up for Torquay, but in the meantime I’m just going to enjoy what was a memorable match and day out at Meadow Lane!
    Good post, I think Chesterfield might have dropped back in the second half mainly to protect their injured keeper and to be fair to them we didn't really test him until the end. Also I understand what Ellis meant about his performance because twice in the second half he was caught playing the high line allowing Tyson to get clean through and the tv replays show he was onside.
    But matches like that often have gone against us so let's enjoy it.

'Controlling the game' for him just means on their terms - spoiling play and frustrating us.
    I think the phrase he used in his interview a couple of times was 'trapped them in' - and yeah they were succeeding in that, we hadn't seen our ball receivers - Rodrigues, Reeves, Wootton as tightly marked like that for a long time. And according to Leigh Curtis he was shouting 'Doyle, Doyle' all the time - obviously to hassle and harry our main forward passer and to pressure him into mistakes.

They had a game plan and it was working - in the league game they scored at nigh-on exactly the same time (about 28 mins?) and then spoiled to win 0-1. They could've easily pulled that off again. Thankfully, we're better than we were then and had the quality (and positivity down to IB over NA) not to let that happen. As you say, tough kitty to him - the plan failed and he would've been better off not playing such a scaredy-cat, negative game. Just deserts

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    'Controlling the game' for him just means on their terms - spoiling play and frustrating us.
    I think the phrase he used in his interview a couple of times was 'trapped them in' - and yeah they were succeeding in that, we hadn't seen our ball receivers - Rodrigues, Reeves, Wootton as tightly marked like that for a long time. And according to Leigh Curtis he was shouting 'Doyle, Doyle' all the time - obviously to hassle and harry our main forward passer and to pressure him into mistakes.

They had a game plan and it was working - in the league game they scored at nigh-on exactly the same time (about 28 mins?) and then spoiled to win 0-1. They could've easily pulled that off again. Thankfully, we're better than we were then and had the quality (and positivity down to IB over NA) not to let that happen. As you say, tough kitty to him - the plan failed and he would've been better off not playing such a scaredy-cat, negative game. Just deserts
    Chessie were very effective in what they wanted to achieve, in the 1st half especially. It was a good game and a good advert for the National League. in truth either team could have won it, but luckily we did. Maybe if had said similar in his P/M he wouldn't be accused of sour grapes. Strikes me he's a wannabe Cowley, win at any cost and that includes cheating, time wasting and spoiling tactics so negative that they are powered by dark energy.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport...s-rowe-5495325
    Last edited by countygump; 06-06-2021 at 08:23 AM.

As I mentioned on another thread to be caught out more than once with Tyson bending his run on the halfway line is basically criminal. They were a one trick pony second half but it could easily have resulted in a Chesterfield win thanks to our poor defending.

People say first half their tactics were spot on but I think they were very fortunate to be ahead at half time. One very well worked goal on the counter attack and a goalkeeping error which followed a completely needless concession of a free kick 30 yards out.

They did mark our key creative attacking players v tightly and fouled them at every opportunity but we started well and as the commentators said settled much better and were the better side first half without creating enough. Although Reeves (X2) and Enzio could have done better with chances.

The injury to the goalkeeper may indeed be the reason they dropped so deep. As for the manager they had some bad luck, he took a gamble and it didn't pay off and Rodders dived for the free kick. But when he looks back at the tape and he sees his player do exactly the same earlier in the game and McCourts embarrassing clutching of his face will have him reassess things and calm down

Personally and unsurprisingly I loved seeing his bitter and biased post match interview. Not enough balance for me

As Richie Benaud might say " tell ya story walking pal"

Bye bye

When we play very very organised sides - Bromley and now Chesterfield we are hard pressed to achieve what we want to achieve. Chesterfield are very limited but very very organised and hard working. I hope we don't have to play Bromley again.

I think it's abit of both. We were the better team overall but they went into half time winning thanks to a counter attacking goal. Then second half is easy for them to sit in and just leave Tyson against a high back line. It's not exactly controlling the game as we had the ball but at the same time we were being frustrated although kept the ball moving well. What I don't like in his post match assessment is that he's wrong to say they were controlling it, they were blocking going through the middle which meant Enzio and Miller had some nice one on one's and eventually our crossing and pressure resulted in the equaliser from a corner. So yeah they were blocking the space and parked the bus but as for being in control, no, it depended on us not being creative enough but we were so **** off.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Good post, I think Chesterfield might have dropped back in the second half mainly to protect their injured keeper and to be fair to them we didn't really test him until the end. Also I understand what Ellis meant about his performance because twice in the second half he was caught playing the high line allowing Tyson to get clean through and the tv replays show he was onside.
    But matches like that often have gone against us so let's enjoy it.
    Tyson was offside.

There wasn't a great difference in the way Chesterfield played yesterday and when they beat us previously.
    They are built very much out of physicality and counter attack.
    Our midfield got a bit bullied in the first half. Reeves and Reuben bounced off of their players a couple of times and we were forced to go backwards more than we would have wanted to.
    Out of possesion they get 11 players behind the ball and that's it.
    It was a brave but necessary substitution a t half time as Rawlo was having a mare.
    We moved the ball quicker used width and attacked down the middle.
    They were breathing out of their ar$es by the end.
    I thought we had 3 good shouts for a penalty not given so mardy git Rowe can go spin.
    I've been on their forum and they believe they will walk the league next year with 100 points plus.
    Deluded

Quote Originally Posted by HUCKNALLPIE View Post
    Tyson was offside.
    I missed his first run but the commentators mentioned offside, the second he looked to be yards offside!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast