+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Euros

Euros

Anyone arsed?

I'm looking forward to watching loads of games but, increasingly, find myself not bothered about England. For a load of reasons I've felt increasingly alienated from the national team so, whilst I'd like England to win, after a defeat I find it a lot easier nowadays to shrug my shoulders and go 'meh'.

Controversial, but if I could choose my nationality, I'd be Scottish...(I know some wil be, like, wtf??? ) so I'd like them to do well, too.

The other problem is that it means 4 weeks of Micah Richards!

It doesn't help having the most dull and boring manager in history in charge of England, ill be supporting Austria (Family Ties) and once they go out ill not watch much. BBC announced their line up the other week thats reason enough to watch the games on Mute.

Not that arsed, I'll watch if I'm out with mates or the kids have gone to bed (I don't actually know what times the games are on) but not going to go out of my way like I would in past.

I'm flip side of that Zip, I hope the Scots get crushed every game and go home at the soonest chance.

Like you I want us to win it but I'd also like to see North Macedonia and Finland do well myself.

Wouldn't want to change my nationality.

It's sad but a fact that these days very few people get themselves into a state of excitement about international matches.

It's also strange that the amount of information about them is available, on-site, through the media both newspapers, and t.v.

When you look back a good few years before just more than a handful of people had television there was as much interest in international games as in the club you supported yourself and everyone would be glued to the radio to follow the games and then go to the cinema two or three days later when snippets of the game were shown for a brief couple of minutes on the newsreels.

Times have changed somewhat.

When I was a lad I’d be having kittens of excitement about now over this tournament. As it stands, not bothered. I’ll support Scotland first and England second. After the former delivers it’s usual disappointment, I hope England win it.
    I’ll likely get into it more once it starts but, for me, they’ve managed to ruin international football.

What we need is an international super lea.....

Nah!!!

Well I for one can't wait for it to start. I'm the same every time we are in a big tournament. Just that 'what if' thought keeps me going every single time. I know we probably won't but if we did pull it off its national party time. It's coming home.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy89 View Post
    Like you I want us to win it but I'd also like to see North Macedonia and Finland do well myself.
    Oh Jammy, I think you forgot to mention Denmark.

...as ever behind all the home nations equally. But won't lose any sleep when they get knocked out.

There will be a surprise package along the way I'll latch onto.

Could even be England.

I was a student in Leningrad during the 1970 World Cup.
    In those days they played 3-4 games each day, all kicking off at the same time.
    Russian TV would show one game live, then the other games straight afterwards in full.
    There was no internet and no mobile phones of course, so no way of finding out the scores without watching the games - at least not in the good old USSR. There were no "expert" panels in between games and no flashing up of scores along the bottom of the screen.

So we would sit watching football for six hours at a stretch until the early hours.
    Loved every minute of it.
    Nowadays - not so much.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)