+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking the Knee

Taking the Knee

I don't get the furore, from either angle.

I don't see how taking the knee is improving the situation, its creating division. And I don't understand why people boo.

If I was going up and players took the knee, I'd be quite apathetic to it. I definitely wouldn't boo it.

Some prominent black players like Les Ferdinand and Wilfred Zaha have said they feel like the message is getting lost. Which I would agree with.

At the same time, the players have a right to protest if they choose to and are on one knee for like 7 seconds is it? The ball goes out of play for longer than that, I don't understand why people don't have the same thought process as me without needing to jeer.

Similarly, I don't understand why people who boo get criticised for it. Those people have a right to protest too.

Surely those who are booing are doing it because they feel its political. Perhaps I'm naive in thinking that? Perhaps there is a percentage of people who boo who don't believe in justice and equality?

Overall, I just think its unsavoury, and a bit pathetic on all sides. And its probably doing the opposite of what its supposed to.
    Last edited by WBA123; 07-06-2021 at 09:13 AM.

I too, think that the knee bending display is counterproductive, it is making matters worse. If the players do it when we go back to the Hawthorns, I don’t think that I will boo but I will certainly turn my back to them. BLM is an odious, racist organisation but nobody dare say so. The footballers claim that they are not attached to the BLM movement, so why preach the phrase at us? Listening to all this PC racist nonsense is very annoying, it suggests that all of us should bow down to the great Woke God. Oh yes, of course all racists are white, aren’t they?

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    I too, think that the knee bending display is counterproductive, it is making matters worse. If the players do it when we go back to the Hawthorns, I don’t think that I will boo but I will certainly turn my back to them. BLM is an odious, racist organisation but nobody dare say so. The footballers claim that they are not attached to the BLM movement, so why preach the phrase at us? Listening to all this PC racist nonsense is very annoying, it suggests that all of us should bow down to the great Woke God. Oh yes, of course all racists are white, aren’t they?
    I just don't understand why people boo, but even so they have the right to protest too.

It seems to be creating tensions rather than bringing people together.

The other problem is that racists will associate themselves with the booing, so there will probably be a small section of those booing who are doing so for those disgusting reasons. But how do you identify between those who boo for political reasons and those who boo because they are racists? You can't tarnish everyone who jeers with the same brush.

I just don't see how taking the knee, or booing it improves anything. My view is that both sides are a bit pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    I don't get the furore, from either angle.

I don't see how taking the knee is improving the situation, its creating division. And I don't understand why people boo.

If I was going up and players took the knee, I'd be quite apathetic to it. I definitely wouldn't boo it.

Some prominent black players like Les Ferdinand and Wilfred Zaha have said they feel like the message is getting lost. Which I would agree with.

At the same time, the players have a right to protest if they choose to and are on one knee for like 7 seconds is it? The ball goes out of play for longer than that, I don't understand why people don't have the same thought process as me without needing to jeer.

Similarly, I don't understand why people who boo get criticised for it. Those people have a right to protest too.

Surely those who are booing are doing it because they feel its political. Perhaps I'm naive in thinking that? Perhaps there is a percentage of people who boo who don't believe in justice and equality?

Overall, I just think its unsavoury, and a bit pathetic on all sides. And its probably doing the opposite of what its supposed to.

I suppose people boo as it's a way of saying - I don't agree with it! Personally, I would turn my back on it!

I do agree though this complete nonsense is taking the message backwards!! Why not have billboards and more PA messages - we stand united against racism!

Personally like the USA - I am of the view that the National Anthem should be played before every sporting event as after all - everyone should be proud to be British.

I also feel the poppy should be displayed on all shirts prior to poppy day and that members of the armed forces should march on the pitch in memory. For me this is no different than taking the knee and after all everybody should be proud they have a country left and the freedom that goes with it due to others.

Lastly, racism on social media is unacceptable but why are football players even allowed on social media? Does every individual expect every message to be - your fantastic - your like God etc etc. I bet others receive equally bad messages ie Jordan about her
    t its - who she's screwing and worse - about her handicapped son who is actually adorable! What's the difference?

If people boo the taking the knee and stewards throw them out - are they going to do the same with the lovely girl who runs the line ( Sian Massey ) when people jeer her, sing get your t its out, and make other nasty comments etc etc! What's the difference?
    Last edited by baggieal; 07-06-2021 at 09:52 AM.

These buffoons have never lived in a racist country. They see Churchill as a figure of hate, I would like to see how the Dumbo's would have got on under Adolf.
    They live in the best and fairest country in the world, that should be enough, instead of learning big word's like community and diversity and keep parroting them.
    Grow up and do something useful with your lives.
    Sick of it.

Unlike many on here I support England teams in all sports and want us to win everything. Love attending games in normal times whenever I can. Obviously as with the Baggies let down most of the time.

However, the one thing that I would hate is the National anthem being played before all club matches, whether the Premier league or all leagues. Keep the National anthem for games when England are playing.

Also with British being the minority race in the PL how many players would just be at best paying lip service to its playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarmbaggie View Post
    Unlike many on here I support England teams in all sports and want us to win everything. Love attending games in normal times whenever I can. Obviously as with the Baggies let down most of the time.

However, the one thing that I would hate is the National anthem being played before all club matches, whether the Premier league or all leagues. Keep the National anthem for games when England are playing.

Also with British being the minority race in the PL how many players would just be at best paying lip service to its playing.

Take your point Yarm but the National Anthem being played at sporting events is not for the players. I have attended lots of sporting events in the USA and within the crowd were thousands of ex pats from South America but they hold American passports. Every person in the stadium stood up as a mark of respect. I have also been to a girls gymnastics competition - and again both gymnasts and spectators all stood and were very proud with their National Anthem being played.

It's a sign of the times with the UK - there's not the same respect to the flag or national anthem. Some councils even fear flying the flag as it in their eyes is provocative. That's really sad!

It's also sad with the outcry of the poppy on shirts when thousands sacrificed their lives yet there's a kind of enforcement to keep with taking the knee otherwise it could be deemed racist. Can you imagine the outcry of the first white footballer to stand up and not take the knee! The same outcry was not there though for the few black players who have refused to take the knee.

So sad!

I would question how many players would want to play for England still if they were not paid! In my eyes all fees should go to charity and it should be a honor playing for your country! Too much greed in football and many since the pandemic have started to turn way!
    Last edited by baggieal; 07-06-2021 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    I would question how many players would want to play for England still if they were not paid! In my eyes all fees should go to charity and it should be a honor playing for your country! Too much greed in football and many since the pandemic have started to turn way!
    I don't think the national anthem should be played before domestic games, I don't see the point. As Yarm said, most of the players are foreign anyway at the top level. International games makes sense because there are national teams playing each other.

I want England to win in every sport, and I'm British but I don't subscribe to the thought that this is the best country in the world. I don't think I'd live here if my wife wasn't so keen to stay. There are socio-economic problems in this country, and much stems from the very top - who we elect every 4 years. But then every country has its issues I guess.

Also, I thought read somewhere that England players do donate their fees to charity? I think Gary Neville introduced it when he was playing. I stand corrected if I'm wrong.

Taking the knee is making a political statement in effect, this shouldn’t be allowed during a match.

There’s plenty of opportunity these days to make your point in other ways, people shouldn’t be allowed to ram their agendas down other people’s throats at an event they’ve paid their own hard money to go and watch.

Remember the furore back in the 68 Olympics when the two black American sprinters made the “Black Power” fist salute on the podium!?

What if........22 white players all wore a Klu Klux Klan outfit before each match, I wonder how that would play out.

Disgusting, I fully agree BUT........if it was their agenda and their belief then why not?

BaggieAl has often pointed out that players are doing this ( and clubs ) because they’re frightened of the backlash for not doing it, this is very wrong, you shouldn’t be in fear of not following an agenda of any sort.

I don’t know if this nonsense has been going on in Sunday League football but if I was still playing I wouldn’t do it and if I had any Asian or black team mates I’d explain to them why.

A good introductory post 123.......I could barely believe it was you who’d started it, I’ll take you off my list of “Woke” nutters that I stick pins in!

As I've stated before, I honestly believe that the BLM movement has set back race relations years. It's a political movement and not an anti racist movement and this is why people are against 'taking the knee'. I would personally prefer the 'Kick Racism Out' initiative observed before a game as it is purely a movement for racial equality with no other agenda.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)