+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Ollie Robinson.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    If you’re asking me: For the lads sake I’d punish him once ie make him apologise - which he has. However, and I’ll put this in general terms to avoid libel, my guess is that anyone who said something at let’s say 18 probably meant it then and probably still means it now. And things haven’t changed much, the talk on building sites, in wood yards and amongst fellas in the pub after work is IMO becoming MORE intolerant of minorities
    Strange response, AF.
    Firstly...making an apology is not a punishment.
    Secondly...an apology in such circumstances is something he should want to do...not have to be ‘made’ to do.
    Thirdly...women aren’t a ‘minority’.

I’m not certain of what was said that was ‘se xist’. The only such comment I’ve heard was silly and juvenile rather than anything worse.
    As far as the racist comments are concerned...using the ‘n word’ and making facile jokes about Muslims, as I believe he did, is not acceptable and would, imo, cause a great deal of disharmony within most cricket dressing rooms.

I’m not sure how you can describe ordinary working ‘fellas’ in the way you have and a) be comfortable with that and b) question my suggestion that Oliver Downton was appealing to a populist mentality.

His defence is that he was 18...the fact you suggest his views haven’t changed is a concern.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 07-06-2021 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Strange response, AF.
    Firstly...making an apology is not a punishment.
    Secondly...an apology in such circumstances is something he should want to do...not have to be ‘made’ to do.
    Thirdly...women aren’t a ‘minority’.

I’m not certain of what was said that was ‘se xist’. The only such comment I’ve heard was silly and juvenile rather than anything worse.
    As far as the racist comments are concerned...using the ‘n word’ and making facile jokes about Muslims, as I believe he did, is not acceptable and would, imo, cause a great deal of disharmony within most cricket dressing rooms.

I’m not sure how you can describe ordinary working ‘fellas’ in the way you have and a) be comfortable with that and b) question my suggestion that Oliver Downton was appealing to a populist mentality.

His defence is that he was 18...the fact you suggest his views haven’t changed is a concern.
    Sorry, correct women aren't a minority

I think you've been self isolating too long though, there's prejudice everywhere. IMO ALL the recent initiatives to reduce prejudice have been so heavy handed they've achieved the opposite of their intention. Strapping Robinson to the ducking stool will only continue that trend

I have no idea what the Tweets contained back then. However, given the vague "explanation" earleir in this thread, it would appear that the comments are roughly on a level with BoJo's "letter box" comments and then, IMO, it would be totally wrong to punish the lad harsher for his comments than BoJo was for his.

Does anyone remember what punishment BoJo got?

What's good for the goose......

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    I have no idea what the Tweets contained back then. However, given the vague "explanation" earleir in this thread, it would appear that the comments are roughly on a level with BoJo's "letter box" comments and then, IMO, it would be totally wrong to punish the lad harsher for his comments than BoJo was for his.

Does anyone remember what punishment BoJo got?

What's good for the goose......
    A point made in my original post, MA...although I don’t ever recall Johnson being held up as an example of decency and integrity. Is that really what we’ve come to? The PM exhibits poor standards as regards racism and ***ism so that’s okay then?

‘I think you’ve been self isolating too long though, there’s prejudice everywhere.’ Probably true, AF...doesn’t mean I have to sacrifice my own moral compass on the altar of populism and possibly the best reason yet for the matter needing to be dealt with properly and fairly.

A point made in my original post, MA...although I don’t ever recall Johnson being held up as an example of decency and integrity. Is that really what we’ve come to? The PM exhibits poor standards as regards racism and ***ism so that’s okay then?

‘I think you’ve been self isolating too long though, there’s prejudice everywhere.’ Probably true, AF...doesn’t mean I have to sacrifice my own moral compass on the altar of populism and possibly the best reason yet for the matter needing to be dealt with properly and fairly.
    I wouldn't expect you to change your standards rA, I'm trying to reflect the mood around the place rather than offer a slanted opinion.

Yet another case of one rule for them................ was more my, possibly not well enough made, point.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I wouldn't expect you to change your standards rA, I'm trying to reflect the mood around the place rather than offer a slanted opinion.
    I’ve always thought of a forum as being a place to voice one’s own opinion rather than hide behind the excuse of ‘reflecting’ others, Andy.

I’m not an expert on such matters, but I believe Ashley Banjo incurred some degree of populist wrath by creating a dance to honour the BLM cause earlier in the ‘year’ and yet he/they won a BAFTA for the same performance a couple of nights ago.

Opinions change, prejudice needs to be opposed. Ollie Robinson, as I’ve said throughout, has the excuse of these being ‘historical’ allegations made by an eigh**** year old. Beyond that I wonder where you (Andy F, not others who you are ‘reflecting’) would draw the line.

I’ve always thought of a forum as being a place to voice one’s own opinion rather than hide behind the excuse of ‘reflecting’ others, Andy.

I’m not an expert on such matters, but I believe Ashley Banjo incurred some degree of populist wrath by creating a dance to honour the BLM cause earlier in the ‘year’ and yet he/they won a BAFTA for the same performance a couple of nights ago.

Opinions change, prejudice needs to be opposed. Ollie Robinson, as I’ve said throughout, has the excuse of these being ‘historical’ allegations made by an eigh**** year old. Beyond that I wonder where you (Andy F, not others who you are ‘reflecting’) would draw the line.
    Voicing my own opinion doesn't often go well, but I'll focus for a mo on your Ashley Banjo comment. The performance in question prompted a record, tens of thousands, number of complaints BY THE PUBLIC, the BAFTA award was voted BY A MAXIMUM OF 6500 of his own kind (by which I mean the acting community). Even you, with your 37% mantra, must see that the POV of 'the elite' and the POV of 'the people' are, using this case only, badly out of step. NB I haven't seen the performance and don't have an opinion on it

Hmmm...I’m not sure anyone knows your ‘own opinion’ because each time you’re challenged you revert to claiming to be playing devil’s advocate.

Actually 30,000 complaints were originally received from ‘the public’...a tiny number probably largely, one imagines, made by people with an ‘agenda’, and I’m not sure where your ‘maximum of 6500’ votes comes from. I was under the impression that he won the one and only category voted for by the public.

It’s about the difference between right and wrong at the end of the day. Our (UK society) has every reason to applaud the contributions made by Black and Muslim (amongst others) individuals to our society - not least in sport - and if I were Jofra Archer for instance, I would be seriously uncomfortable sharing a dressing room with someone who finds the use of the word ‘n****r’ acceptable. It may be that these were the thoughts of a not very bright 18 year old but, as you have actually suggested, it may be that he still holds such views about black people, Muslims and women. That surely needs to be investigated.

Hmmm...I’m not sure anyone knows your ‘own opinion’ because each time you’re challenged you revert to claiming to be playing devil’s advocate.

Actually 30,000 complaints were originally received from ‘the public’...a tiny number probably largely, one imagines, made by people with an ‘agenda’, and I’m not sure where your ‘maximum of 6500’ votes comes from. I was under the impression that he won the one and only category voted for by the public.

... it may be that he still holds such views about black people, Muslims and women. That surely needs to be investigated.
    Not sure about that rA, I offered my own opinion on Robinson's punishment a few posts ago

If I got the diversity thing wrong, apologies and I withdraw that

Investigation - fine, but this has turned into a show trial

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)