+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Ollie Robinson.

O/T Ollie Robinson.

See Ollie Robinson has been banned pending investigation following his allegedly racist and s exist tweets made when he was 18 years old.

Points for consideration.
    1. Is it fair to ban someone pending rather than following investigation?
    2. Should someone be judged according to stupid and offensive comments they allegedly made approaching ten years ago when they were still a te enager?
    3. Are the TCCB in an impossible situation where producing the T shirt and observing the stance before matches are just seen as complete hypocrisy if they then select an alleged bigot?
    4. Has Robinson actually behaved any worse than the PM himself and other members of the Bullingdon Club?

Difficult situation. Never been remotely racist, but I wouldn’t want to be judged on some of my late te enage early twenty year old behaviour either.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    See Ollie Robinson has been banned pending investigation following his allegedly racist and s exist tweets made when he was 18 years old.

Points for consideration.
    1. Is it fair to ban someone pending rather than following investigation?
    2. Should someone be judged according to stupid and offensive comments they allegedly made approaching ten years ago when they were still a te enager?
    3. Are the TCCB in an impossible situation where producing the T shirt and observing the stance before matches are just seen as complete hypocrisy if they then select an alleged bigot?
    4. Has Robinson actually behaved any worse than the PM himself and other members of the Bullingdon Club?

Difficult situation. Never been remotely racist, but I wouldn’t want to be judged on some of my late te enage early twenty year old behaviour either.

Thoughts?
    Totally OTT. 1984 is coming to a town near you 40 years late!

1. Not for something 10 years ago!
    2. No.
    3. No.
    4. Doubt it.

What's he supposedly said?

Having nothing better to do for the last 20mins I’ve taken a quick look at the various cricket sites on the net and relevant fb pages, there are thousands of comments. Comments I’ve seen actually supporting ECBs decision? 2

Gotta say though there are many MANY more in support of those booing the taking of the knee. A number of people are actually favouring Derby’s end-of season approach which reinforces my belief that it’s not the issue at hand that folk are booing, it’s the enforced deployment of the method adopted.

Two more examples of an elite running scared and failing to catch the mood of those they serve and/or represent
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 07-06-2021 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Totally OTT. 1984 is coming to a town near you 40 years late!
    Maybe, but I think that response is untypically naive and a little simplistic on your part young Mr. Faber, especially from someone who runs a forum which bans such words as s-x, t-en and v-tal.

In the current climate they had to do something...whether it is proportionate or not is the question.

Personally I remain proud of the stance taken and the role played by sport, particularly cricket, in the fight against Apartheid all those years ago and the attitude displayed towards Basil D’Oliveira.

Robinson’s tweets appear to represent the antithesis of those actions. If they’d been written recently I would unhesitatingly say he should be suspended but I’m not comfortable with judging someone on who they were in their late te en age years...plus he’s a fast bowler so probably a bit dim.
    Not comfortable with people like the Culture Secretary jumping on the simplistic and populist bandwagon either. This issue is many things but one thing it isn’t is simple.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 07-06-2021 at 12:33 PM.

Maybe, but I think that response is untypically naive and a little simplistic on your part young Mr. Faber, especially from someone who runs a forum which bans such words as s-x, t-en and v-tal.

In the current climate they had to do something...whether it is proportionate or not is the question.

Personally I remain proud of the stance taken and the role played by sport, particularly cricket, in the fight against Apartheid all those years ago and the attitude displayed towards Basil D’Oliveira.

Robinson’s tweets appear to represent the antithesis of those actions. If they’d been written recently I would unhesitatingly say he should be suspended but I’m not comfortable with judging someone on who they were in their late te en age years...plus he’s a fast bowler so probably a bit dim.
    Not comfortable with people like the Culture Secretary jumping on the simplistic and populist bandwagon either. This issue is many things but one thing it isn’t is simple.
    Off the subject but yet again your anti govt stance has blinded you to the fact that the culture secretary is expressing a popular, not populist, opinion. I don’t see the politicians involvement as even relevant, this is the people versus the (in this case sporting) elite. And the situation is nothing like the D’Oliveria affair. The ECB have ****ed up, and I’d like to bet the folk calling them out for it are the same (or maybe the dads of) people who crushed the super league shenanigans ie normal people.

Good God! If I was to be held responsible for some of the batcrazy sh1t I did at 18 they'd lock me up and throw away the key.... well, almost, any road up.

I will be forever grateful that I did all that stuff in the days prior to camera phones and (anti) social media as, most likely, are many of you.

My opinion of Robbo's ban? Panic attack by a bunch of Jobsworth Jodrells who are not fit to sit in judgment on anybody because they have no effin clue!

...plus he’s a fast bowler so probably a bit dim.
    LOL Now that's a generalisation we can all get on board with!

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Good God! If I was to be held responsible for some of the batcrazy sh1t I did at 18 they'd lock me up and throw away the key.... well, almost, any road up.

I will be forever grateful that I did all that stuff in the days prior to camera phones and (anti) social media as, most likely, are many of you.
    100% agree with that, MA...and I’d like to know who decided to make public the decade old comments on the day of the guy’s debut and what his/her motivation actually was.

The whole thing has nothing to do with my ‘anti government’ stance, Andy...I just think that the Culture Sec. is jumping on the populist (aka unthinking, simplistic and reactionary) bandwagon in order to curry favour with the masses.

So...going back to the original post...how would you handle the matter?

100% agree with that, MA...and I’d like to know who decided to make public the decade old comments on the day of the guy’s debut and what his/her motivation actually was.

The whole thing has nothing to do with my ‘anti government’ stance, Andy...I just think that the Culture Sec. is jumping on the populist (aka unthinking, simplistic and reactionary) bandwagon in order to curry favour with the masses.

So...going back to the original post...how would you handle the matter?
    If you’re asking me: For the lads sake I’d punish him once ie make him apologise - which he has. However, and I’ll put this in general terms to avoid libel, my guess is that anyone who said something at let’s say 18 probably meant it then and probably still means it now. And things haven’t changed much, the talk on building sites, in wood yards and amongst fellas in the pub after work is IMO becoming MORE intolerant of minorities

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)