+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Over in Belfast at the mo

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    . Needless to say most of work was not carried out in UK because of the lack of competent yards in the UK.
    Therein lies the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    Therein lies the problem.
    I agree. We are becoming so de-skilled that there seems little to offer opportunities to those who are not computer literate. Michelin Enterprise Parc is the one bright spark.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    Calmac sub contract the maintenance of their ships to ship yards. The ship yards make promises of dates for release to service which Calmac have no choice but to take at face value and to plan around. I've yet to see a job come out of a ship yard, or any fabrication yard for that matter, on time and on budget - the problem there isn't Calmac's it's the ship yard's.

But you crack on finding any tiny little crumb of a contrived fact with which to beat Calmac, you're doing a grand job there.
    In January 2018 we were sailing back to Islay and as usual one of the Calmac ferries on this occasion the Caledonian Isles was late back from dry dock after its annual service. From memory I think that it was eventually two weeks late returning back into service.
    I was speaking to one of the crew in the cafeteria about this. He told me that he normally worked on the Caledonian Isles ferry and he had been redeployed onto the Islay route.
    He said that everyone of the Caledonian Isles crew knew that the ferry would never be back on time as the Caledonian Isles was undergoing major work on its engine.
    Sadly the Calmac bosses who draw up the timetable for their ferries to go to dry dock for their annual service over promise and under deliver. It happens every winter timetable period but they never seem to learn by their mistakes.

I agree. We are becoming so de-skilled that there seems little to offer opportunities to those who are not computer literate. Michelin Enterprise Parc is the one bright spark.
    Calmac recently signed a contract with Cammel Laird on the River Mersey to carry out repairs and annual services on the Calmac ferries.
    There is still a dry dock at James Watt dock at Greenock to also carry out repairs.
    The MV Loch Seaforth had its port engine repaired there after it broke down on 15th April 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    Calmac recently signed a contract with Cammel Laird on the River Mersey to carry out repairs and annual services on the Calmac ferries.
    There is still a dry dock at James Watt dock at Greenock to also carry out repairs.
    The MV Loch Seaforth had its port engine repaired there after it broke down on 15th April 2021.
    Why on earth would a Scottish Government owned organisation take work down south? Is the James Watt dock fully booked, or are their other considerations. It seems odd that we would not carry out repairs in Scotland if at all possible.

Why on earth would a Scottish Government owned organisation take work down south? Is the James Watt dock fully booked, or are their other considerations. It seems odd that we would not carry out repairs in Scotland if at all possible.
    In my opinion it is a crazy decision but I suspect that Cammel Laird offered a good price for the work.
    Calmac ferries used to also undergo their annual service in Aberdeen but perhaps sailing through the Pentland Firth to and from Aberdeen during the Autumn and Winter months is a bit stormy for the Calmac ferries who are used to sailing in relatively sheltered waters.
    There is a Calmac car ferry the MV Courisk which can take 40 cars but is only licensed to sail in sheltered waters. As a result it is unable to sail on the Kennacraig to Islay route.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)