+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Annan and Stranraer Friendlies

Quote Originally Posted by Spikefaethesouth View Post
    Personally speaking I don't think it make any difference who the opposition is for friendlies as they are nothing more than training sessions for players to gain match fitness where typically a great number of substitutes are made.
    Match fitness is the fundamental and it is good to build that up with these fixtures but only a couple of them should be against these sorts of opponents. To push on ahead of the season we need to be playing teams which operate at a higher intensity on game day even if it was to play against an 11 with reserves like we did against Newcastle all those years ago.

Especially with trialists it could be so easy to say that is what we are looking for when you are playing against teams you are expected to beat. We want to see what they are like when (in the words of boyzone) the going gets tough. Do they sink or swim? I would rather we had players who may not be flashy but give you a 7 no matter the opposition than players that star against the lower teams. We need to build a foundation and backbone for a squad in which we can then start adding those match winners.

More chance to at least gel the team earlier this season and get off to a better start in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by CptQueens View Post
    Match fitness is the fundamental and it is good to build that up with these fixtures but only a couple of them should be against these sorts of opponents. To push on ahead of the season we need to be playing teams which operate at a higher intensity on game day even if it was to play against an 11 with reserves like we did against Newcastle all those years ago.

Especially with trialists it could be so easy to say that is what we are looking for when you are playing against teams you are expected to beat. We want to see what they are like when (in the words of boyzone) the going gets tough. Do they sink or swim? I would rather we had players who may not be flashy but give you a 7 no matter the opposition than players that star against the lower teams. We need to build a foundation and backbone for a squad in which we can then start adding those match winners.
    I can see your reasoning Capt but equally using it then the better quality opposition would not want to play the likes of Queens. I do remember that Newcastle game but that one aside there have been very few against top class opposition over the years that I can recall and when we do have the odd game its inevitably against a youth version or one full of reserve players. Catch 22 situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikefaethesouth View Post
    I can see your reasoning Capt but equally using it then the better quality opposition would not want to play the likes of Queens. I do remember that Newcastle game but that one aside there have been very few against top class opposition over the years that I can recall and when we do have the odd game its inevitably against a youth version or one full of reserve players. Catch 22 situation.
    well if thats the case maybe a wee bit variety would be in order its always annan stranrear and the likes every season some away days down south or up north to teams we never get to see against queens like an away freindly against a gateshead ,ashington say,or going up our own country to say auchenlech ,pollock ,clydebank ,something a bit different to what we see season apon season nowadays preseason has became stale over recent seasons .

A game against TNS would be a nice warm up and a move away from the usual fixtures. They showed themselves to be a decent side when we played them.

Tomorrow’s Stranraer match being streamed live now for only £2.

Queens won 2-1 against Stranraer this afternoon with goals from Joseph & Connelly.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_dumfries View Post
    Queens won 2-1 against Stranraer this afternoon with goals from Joseph & Connelly.
    Thought that Gibson, Connolly and Todd were excellent today. Connolly is a right livewire and looks to be a real acquisition.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)