+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Booing taking the knee

Quote Originally Posted by sherwoodmag View Post
    It's alright the powers that be with England saying it's not political taking the knee even though it was political when it was started in the USA.
    What was Englands excuse when they played Germany in the 1930s and give the Hitler salute.
    England gave the Hitler salute in May 1938 even though anti Jewish legislation started in 1933 and by 1936 German born Jews had their citizenship taken from them,and there stood the full England team standing to attention with the Heil Hitler salute.

Quote Originally Posted by sherwoodmag View Post
    England gave the Hitler salute in May 1938 even though anti Jewish legislation started in 1933 and by 1936 German born Jews had their citizenship taken from them,and there stood the full England team standing to attention with the Heil Hitler salute.
    Sounds very similar to today's antics from what I see.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannylad View Post
    Sounds very similar to today's antics from what I see.
    HTTPS://youtu.be/BpzZHclmsN0

I find players taking the knee irritating now, but its their decision and I would never boo it. I just think it has lost its message. I would like to think that most people already know how abhorrent racism is and do not need the taking the knee gesture to reinforce its message. Stronger action from those in charge against anyone behaving or encouraging any racist actions or behaviour is what is really required. Taking the knee does not , and will not , change any racists attitude.
    Let the players take the knee if they feel they should. its their choice, but also if anyone who is tired of seeing it or objects to it is also their choice and if they want to boo so be it

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    If the players wish to protest against racism in the game, that’s good but they should go about it in a different way. The supporters have paid to watch a football match not a political statement.
    Some just kneel and others kneel and show the black power salute. The first is becoming monotonous and the latter is inflammatory and racist.
    Personally I don’t like it but I wouldn’t boo. I wonder when (if??) it’ll ever stop but if it goes on much longer it may well end up having the opposite effect that is intended.
    Surely the black fist is racist in itself? Personally I think it’s gone it’s course,enough is enough and as some have said,it might actually make things worse.

All this talk of rascism and sport reminds me of Jesse Owens. He won 4 gold medals in Berlin in 1936 wearing shoes supplied by a Nazi (addidas founder) and later celebrated with dignity on the podium. This to me has more power than any knee taking.

Strangely, he had 100000 Berliners cheering him on and was even congratulated by Hitler himself - more than he got by the American President when he got home. He went on to say he was treated with more respect and equality in Germany than America. Ironic isn't it?

Guess if he was a Jew things would have been different.

Anyone who says this is just woke, or just virtue signalling, or that they should not do it as it should just be about the football…

Does that mean that footballers shouldn’t be giving a minutes silence/applause when someone has died/tragedies have happened /groups deserve recognition?

Quote Originally Posted by Nufcian View Post
    Anyone who says this is just woke, or just virtue signalling, or that they should not do it as it should just be about the football…

Does that mean that footballers shouldn’t be giving a minutes silence/applause when someone has died/tragedies have happened /groups deserve recognition?
    Not for months on end and with no sign of stopping, no.

You raise a good point though. Why aren’t footballers protesting about more important things, like murder or gun crime,

Quote Originally Posted by Sclox View Post
    All this talk of rascism and sport reminds me of Jesse Owens. He won 4 gold medals in Berlin in 1936 wearing shoes supplied by a Nazi (addidas founder) and later celebrated with dignity on the podium. This to me has more power than any knee taking.

Strangely, he had 100000 Berliners cheering him on and was even congratulated by Hitler himself - more than he got by the American President when he got home. He went on to say he was treated with more respect and equality in Germany than America. Ironic isn't it?

Guess if he was a Jew things would have been different.
    Did Hitler actually congratulate him in person? I'm not sure that is correct.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)