+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Booing taking the knee

Booing taking the knee

Load of bollocks.

Hear me out cos I know what reaction I may get

Look...maybe it has run its course as an effective course of action, maybe some of those who support it are virtue signallers, some people are aginst taking the knee because they see it as just another sign of our inceasingly 'woke' society and yes, it emerged out of the Black Lives Matter protests which are discredited for many because of their origins n the BLM organisation (for me, the BLM protests were incredibly important and vital whereas the political organisation behind it is a shady one I wouldn't want to be anywhere near).

So, for various reasons, folk don't agree with the taking of the knee, and I get that. But the players have made a collective choice to keep the anti-racist agenda in the public eye so, as causes go, is that one that should be booed just because you disagree with it? For me, you have to question the motives of those booing. Oh, obviously, I didn't mention the main (imo) reason, which is a lot of the booers are just racist morons.

BUT...that last category of booers have some pretty powerful supporters-one in particular-and that has emboldened them.

Two incidents...Boris Johnson refused to condemn the actions of the fans who booed players taking the knee...BUT...he also called the suspension of an England cricket player for historical racist tweets excessive. So our PRIME MINISTER has said it's ok to boo players standing (or, rather, kneeling) up to racism but it's not ok to punish someone for posting racism. And please don't buy into the bullshit that the booing is because of the BLM movement's stance on defunding the Police, etc. The players are trying to make a statement about racism in the game and society, not about BLM and the people booing are, basically, saying they don't agree with an anti-racism gesture.

Maybe not all booers are racist but all racists would boo. Go figure.

If the players wish to protest against racism in the game, that’s good but they should go about it in a different way. The supporters have paid to watch a football match not a political statement.
    Some just kneel and others kneel and show the black power salute. The first is becoming monotonous and the latter is inflammatory and racist.
    Personally I don’t like it but I wouldn’t boo. I wonder when (if??) it’ll ever stop but if it goes on much longer it may well end up having the opposite effect that is intended.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    If the players wish to protest against racism in the game, that’s good but they should go about it in a different way. The supporters have paid to watch a football match not a political statement.
    Some just kneel and others kneel and show the black power salute. The first is becoming monotonous and the latter is inflammatory and racist.
    Personally I don’t like it but I wouldn’t boo. I wonder when (if??) it’ll ever stop but if it goes on much longer it may well end up having the opposite effect that is intended.
    Good post, TT, and the sort of response I was hoping for. I totally get what you're saying and understand why you-and many others-don't like it, But, like you say, you wouldn't boo and I'd like to think most would be of the same mindset.

I have a feeling that a lot of the players taking the knee only do it to be collectively part of the group. There are obviously those who sincerely agree but I would wonder what the results of a secret anonymous poll amongst all players would be.

Millwall and Chelsea excepted of course.

Cheers Zip. I think all decent people want the same result here but have different opinions on how to get there.

Pat : I was thinking the same thing. I saw in the 6 nations rugby that there were teams where some took the knee and some didn’t (about half and half as far as I could see). I get the feeling that many footballers are being instructed on what to do.

I'm sure the majority of the fans were booing the politics not the players. I imagine the players are under pressure to toe the line also.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannylad View Post
    I'm sure the majority of the fans were booing the politics not the players. I imagine the players are under pressure to toe the line also.
    If they were (and, personally, I doubt it was the majority) then they've spectacularly missed the point and are aiming their ire at the wrong target.

Yes, I know that the gesture is inextricably linked to the BLM movement, but the players are not doing it to support the political organisation behind it-they're doing it to support the anti-racism and pro-equality movement the action represents.

You could be right about some of the players.

Nah, man.

The whole bending the knee is simply a virtue signal! I hate it!

It achieves the square route of f00k all!

The moronic racists are not going to be swayed by it...

The way to stop it is with actual prison sentences, fines etc..

I as many people am sick of politics in my entertainment!

I think we disagree with the BLM thing.,,the organisation is a ridiculous marxists organisation, the rally, protests etc...did nothing more than course more divide! BLM is actually a racist organisation!

Quote Originally Posted by usedtobeshearer View Post
    Nah, man.

The whole bending the knee is simply a virtue signal! I hate it!

It achieves the square route of f00k all!

The moronic racists are not going to be swayed by it...

The way to stop it is with actual prison sentences, fines etc..

I as many people am sick of politics in my entertainment!

I think we disagree with the BLM thing.,,the organisation is a ridiculous marxists organisation, the rally, protests etc...did nothing more than course more divide! BLM is actually a racist organisation!
    Can't disagree with any of that.

I agree with every word, Zip.

To say that it achieves 'the square root of f*ck all' is something I just cannot agree with, although it's very hard to measure the impact. Just because you can't put the numbers into an Excel-sheet doesn't mean it won't make a difference.

Of course it's a virtue signal. It's a symbolic gesture - done in front of millions of people, young and old, in a sport which is famous for bringing people together across all political and cultural differences and ideologies. Naturally, it's going to have some kind of an impact.

Now are there better ways of doing it? Yes, most likely! And I agree it's becoming monotomous to the extent where I'm getting bored and also just want it to be overwith.

Also, you can't put someone in jail for walking around with racist thoughts. But you can try to change their minds.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)