+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What youth players will break through next season?

Quote Originally Posted by arab1970 View Post
    thats wasnt squad numbers they had on. he's right footed
    Are you sure? Because Shanks was wearing 24

Squad numbers were scattered about. Neilson had 15 but he is 20. Kai had 7 he is 25. Mochrie had 21 he is 26. Flynn Duffy had 3 but he is 40 something.

Got to say 3 games 3 wins and we dont seem to have broken stride yet. Things look good from a youth perspective. Yes its still "pre season" but we have exceeded last season in the league cup already. League a different level but players looking happy especially shanks. Also what a free kick from Mulgrew. Hope Mochrie is ok - i fvcking hate that pr!ck campbell

Mochrie? It was Meekison that went off injured. ☹️

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Mochrie? It was Meekison that went off injured. ☹️
    yup sorry after a lovely touch as well

Although it was a cynical challenge on Meekison, it didn't look particularly hard that you would have expected him to be subbed, hopefully just a precaution, but he does look like he has a frail physique, reminds me of Danny Swanson in that sense, so hopefully he doesn't have glass ankles, but might have to work a bit in the gym.

I can't work out Neilson's best position, he looks purposeful striding out from the back with the ball, and although he looks slow, once he builds up a bit of momentum he is pretty powerful hard to stop (bit like Oloffson). When people run at him though, he looks really slow at turning (bit like Petric), and despite his size, looks like he has a bit to learn in terms of his positional sense and aggression in the air. Not sure where his best position is - sweeper/def mid? Looks a bit off the first team yet.

I thought the Watson sub was a bit of strange one at the time, as we needed to get bit of a foothold back in the game, and Clark would have seemed obvious sub if you were putting a striker on, but guess Courts wants to see these guys in action. I've only seen Watson literally a few minutes on subbie appearances, so can't really determine his style, but didn't look like us going down to 10 suited his game, and looked a bit niave, so might be a bit off the first team, or suit a lower league loan. Kai Fotheringham hasn't featured, I thought he showed some good technique in his few subby appearances, but might be another who would benefit from a lower league loan.

I'd say at this stage Smith, Mochrie Chalmers, freeman, Meekison and maybe Duffy could be making contributions to first team. But I've only seen most these players in snippets, and big step up to premier league standards.

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTaway View Post
    Although it was a cynical challenge on Meekison, it didn't look particularly hard that you would have expected him to be subbed, hopefully just a precaution, but he does look like he has a frail physique, reminds me of Danny Swanson in that sense, so hopefully he doesn't have glass ankles, but might have to work a bit in the gym.

I can't work out Neilson's best position, he looks purposeful striding out from the back with the ball, and although he looks slow, once he builds up a bit of momentum he is pretty powerful hard to stop (bit like Oloffson). When people run at him though, he looks really slow at turning (bit like Petric), and despite his size, looks like he has a bit to learn in terms of his positional sense and aggression in the air. Not sure where his best position is - sweeper/def mid? Looks a bit off the first team yet.

I thought the Watson sub was a bit of strange one at the time, as we needed to get bit of a foothold back in the game, and Clark would have seemed obvious sub if you were putting a striker on, but guess Courts wants to see these guys in action. I've only seen Watson literally a few minutes on subbie appearances, so can't really determine his style, but didn't look like us going down to 10 suited his game, and looked a bit niave, so might be a bit off the first team, or suit a lower league loan. Kai Fotheringham hasn't featured, I thought he showed some good technique in his few subby appearances, but might be another who would benefit from a lower league loan.

I'd say at this stage Smith, Mochrie Chalmers, freeman, Meekison and maybe Duffy could be making contributions to first team. But I've only seen most these players in snippets, and big step up to premier league standards.
    Enjoyed your post. If I had to rely on Neilson OR Smith to step in at CB right now I'd choose Neilson. It'll be interesting to see which one of them goes furthest in the game but right now I'd say Neilson is just ahead. (Older??) Neilson can't play at FB though, not agile and fast enough in the modern game. Sorry if that sounds harsh, just based on what I've seen.

If Chalmers can add certain qualities as he develops he might be the best of the crop.
    Then there's Billy Gilmour Mochrie, maybe the most exciting of the crop.
    Not seen much of the others.
    Hopefully the next Andy Gray or Johny Russell is in the development squad somewhere. (I know Gray wasn't Academy btw) A homegrown striker would be something special.

Billy Gilmour Mochrie 😂😂😂😂

K.Smith is certainly a good prospect and we certainly seem to be trying to push him into the first team setup as he clearly has the potential, I personally would have wanted him on loan to gain more experience but doubt that will happen considering the talk coming out of the club regarding the links from a move down south and so on.

L.Neilson- I personally think he is slightly ahead of Smith, I feel he seems quite timid when defending but when he is on the ball he is very composed and can be a big asset if wanting to play out from the back. Does need to use his frame more and add that aggression to his game but certainly would like to see more from him. (At CB not WB/R

K.Freeman- Was impressed with "sheep" last season when he got a few games then got some valuable experience on loan at Peterhead. He looks energetic, tenacious and has the ability to match. The more confidence he gains he could be a big asset to us as a WB. Seriously pushing Smith for Wb role.

F.Duffy- Been impressive and certainly works hard. Still feel he is very raw and just lacking that bit of experience to stake more of a claim to LWB. Certainly could be useful though. If Robson goes then would certainly be keeping him in and around the squad but if Robson stays he might benefit more from a loan spell.

C.Mochrie- Very composed and positive player. Looks to play forward and certainly has potential to be a big player in the future for us. This role could depend on who we bring in. If we sign 1/2 attacking or creative players then his gametime could be limited so again a loan to Championship side could be best suited for him. If not, get him involved.

L.Chalmers- Big expectations for LC this season. Seems to have been around for a while but never really properly got a run of games. This could be his season (hopefully) Confident and has that creative spark we lack. If he can work on his end product, he could be massive for us.

A.Meekison- Looks like a talent but still looks raw/small frame so would benefit from a loan similar to what Mochrie done.
    D.Watson- Not seen much from him but he is getting some decent exposure to games which is good. Likely a loan for him.
    K.Fotheringham- Surprised not to have seen him be involved in these games but likely to get a loan.
    D.Glass- Coming back from an injury so will likely be sent on loan again but there is certainly a player in there.

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTaway View Post

I agree re Neilson. He will no doubt improve all the time but his biggest weakness is his 1-on-1 defending. He turns his back on the back way too often when guys are twisting and turning. This is largely down to the fact that he spent most of his youth career playing as a centre mid so he maybe hasn't developed fully on that front. His positioning will improve all the time but he really needs to work on facing players up and using his frame to see them off.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)