+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What youth players will break through next season?

What youth players will break through next season?

In terms of supplementing first team as well as potentially becoming regulars. Some must have a chance? Certainly the direction we are going.

Always difficult to tell but some of my thoughts:

Appere - i rate the guy he is a tank and in my view hope to see him up front on left with Shanks. Big season for him
    Chalmers - Again i rate him got speed and a nuisance I think he may become a regular next season (injury really prevented that last season imho)
    Meekison - May get opps from bench, think its a growing season for him and may also go on loan
    Neilson - Is he a CB or RB? Personally i would like him to pressure Smith a bit and again built like a tank could be sold before he makes a huge impact?
    Smith - looked decent at times and clearly has a lot of interest, seems to want to stay and gain experience
    Hoti - strange one only seen glimpses of him but he looked decent
    Newman - highly rated goalkeeper prob go on loan
    Freeman - i would have expected him to be ahead of neilson and smith but isnt - however again highly thought of
    Davidson - cant say much about him tbh
    Graham - again a defender but havent seen enough of him
    Bisland - another defender, what do we feed them as 14 year olds lol
    Walker - no idea
    Glass - big season for him to break into 1st team but may go on loan again?
    Mochrie - prob loan but i like this player hope he has a future

Thats some list and we def need some experience around for this

There is Fotheringham as well, Hutchison and Watson too.....the list goes on and on!!

Personally would be interested in seeing what happens with Mochrie, Freeman and Glass. Hoti may be more a part of it too.

Chalmers has something different about him. Kerr Smith looks ready to me. Neilson perhaps too. Meekison and Fotheringham both full of potential.

Other defenders are probably still a bit away yet I would assume although arguments for Graham based on a full season of playing.

Unpopular opinion, but I would try cash in on Appere if there are any suitors. Seems like a good lad, full of effort and endeavour but I don't think uses his size well enough, tends to hold onto the ball too long and doesn't seem to have a natural goal scoring instinct about him (would love to be proved wrong about this one!).

Appere and Chalmers should be the main stays within the squad with a few others getting involvement dependant on who comes back from pre-season well and who Courts feels is ready to make the step up.

Appere i think was used shockingly bad by Mellon. Energy, work-rate, speed the sort of stuff we lacked at times last season. Hopefully Courts recognises this and gets him up top with Shankland. They both compliment each other very well.
    Chalmers showed in some of his performances last season that if he gets a run and pushes on then can be a big player for us.

For me I would be bringing......

Graham- Left footed and solid. Looked decent anytime I've seen Cove (only a few times tbh) Slightly older and more experienced than Neilson and K.Smith.
    Freeman- Cover for full back. Impressed at Peterhead and looked decent at the start of last season when in the 1st team. Pushing Smith and Robson.
    Mochrie/Glass- One of these 2 can be kept in amongst the squad with the other going on loan. Both highly rated but with Glass coming back from long term injury he maybe best suited for a loan. Mochrie possibly could do with a more challenging loan?

Hoti, Meekison, Neilson, Fotheringham or K.Smith- possibly in the squad aswell but depends on signings etc. I think we should give some guys more experience on loan if we have decent cover in those positions.

No way I would want to see Appere go. I rate the big lad also.

Chalmers and young Smith look ready for big involvement. I am hoping to see a bit more of Glass after his early promise.

We have a lot of good young players ready to start coming through actually, so well done to those involved over the years.

I thought Meekison showed up really well in the game time he got at the end of the season. I'd be pretty surprised is he wasn't involved a bit more now. But, new man picking the team so we'll have to see.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    I thought Meekison showed up really well in the game time he got at the end of the season. I'd be pretty surprised is he wasn't involved a bit more now. But, new man picking the team so we'll have to see.
    cool and at least Courts should know the low down on all their strengths and weaknesses.

The main thing about bringing any younger players into the team is that they are surrounded by experienced players or in a system that helps them. Putting one of the younger centre backs alongside Reynolds for example. Experienced pros to help them through.

Also that we don't rush them in too much and take them out if struggling. I'm all for young players being in the first team, we all love to see it but it needs to be done correctly and not just thrown together and hoping for the best. We've been down that road before and it didn't work out well.

Quote Originally Posted by darrenshedtastic View Post
    The main thing about bringing any younger players into the team is that they are surrounded by experienced players or in a system that helps them. Putting one of the younger centre backs alongside Reynolds for example. Experienced pros to help them through.

Also that we don't rush them in too much and take them out if struggling. I'm all for young players being in the first team, we all love to see it but it needs to be done correctly and not just thrown together and hoping for the best. We've been down that road before and it didn't work out well.
    post of the week this daz

It's a promising list but I'm not seeing anyone on it that compares to the likes of Gauld Armstrong GMS or Russell. At least not yet.
    I have a feeling Mochrie could be one that might in due course.

Quote Originally Posted by darrenshedtastic View Post

Nae arguments with that!

I am resigned to loosing Siegrist this summer, as long as we get a nice big fee for him that can be invested to keep Edwards, Fuchs and Shankland and bring in 2 or 3 others. Mulgrew is not one of those 2 or 3, but could be good if he can stay away from injury, but we should not be chopping and changing the defence for the hell of it!

This season has to be Chalmers time to shine. He seems to have been around the fringes of the first team for years, and i hope it is him who is the next Armstrong or GMS. For most of the rest, its their time to see if they can start forcing their way into the team, but if Reynolds is off to Cove, sent Nielson or K Smith up there for a season to learn!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)