+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time for youth ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stovicmiller View Post
    that sounds like a plan, unfortunately Rotherham don’t have one.
    I don't know what the plans are for next season. If you say there isn't one I'm sure you're right.

Last time I can remember a whole load of young players being blooded was under Jimmy McGuigan, but they were a special group - Finney, Crawford,Phillips, Green etc.

Maybe time to bring one or two into the regular squad, but if its 20 max its hard to see any more than that.
    Brin, have you seen Kayodfe play at all? I've only seen a couple of highlights. Could be good.

And how long will it be before people start saying the youngsters aren't ready for League 1 yet if they have a poor game. Not long I suspect 😠

I’d like us to have a plan , to sign young players, have our better players on longer contracts or start negotiation extensions earlier. Stop signing players with an history of injury, old players past their sell by date . I realise we need a mixture of experience thro our squad tho.

Did we not bring Neil Redfearn in to do this a well respected coach in the academy ranks but as usual T/S could not wait.We try to run before we can walk,we will never have the money for what Tony wants.Nothing wrong with dreaming but reality costs money we have not got the money to compete in the Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    And how long will it be before people start saying the youngsters aren't ready for League 1 yet if they have a poor game. Not long I suspect 😠
    Mellow, if any of our players are not ready for league 1 then why are they retained? All players start somewhere so unless anyone wants us to drop to league 2 to give em a chance then, get them in the side.

We complain there’s no money for investment but, we’ve invested in these lads bringing them through to the standard they currently posses. Have the nerve to use them, not for full games but let them experience something or what’s the point of having them on the books?

Warney said that Kayode will be given a go.

If Kayode doesn’t get in the team this season then personally if I was him I’d be looking at moving on.

I’d like to think Cooper could get in games in L1 but I doubt we’ll see that happen often if at all.

Others won’t be ready

Quote Originally Posted by PerigordMiller View Post
    I don't know what the plans are for next season. If you say there isn't one I'm sure you're right.

Last time I can remember a whole load of young players being blooded was under Jimmy McGuigan, but they were a special group - Finney, Crawford,Phillips, Green etc.

Maybe time to bring one or two into the regular squad, but if its 20 max its hard to see any more than that.
    Brin, have you seen Kayodfe play at all? I've only seen a couple of highlights. Could be good.
    Players signed up under 21 years old are exempt from any max squad sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post
    Players signed up under 21 years old are exempt from any max squad sizes.
    Howdy, thanks for that I didn’t know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Mellow, if any of our players are not ready for league 1 then why are they retained? All players start somewhere so unless anyone wants us to drop to league 2 to give em a chance then, get them in the side.

We complain there’s no money for investment but, we’ve invested in these lads bringing them through to the standard they currently posses. Have the nerve to use them, not for full games but let them experience something or what’s the point of having them on the books?
    Brin, I hope we do give some of the young players a chance but supporters have to realise they may be inconsistent because they are still learning.
    We have a fickle bunch of supporters and, if the team is not up near the top of the table, you can bet the criticism will start.
    We've seen it before for Yates, Wiles and Rodak (admittedly he wasn't ours) who all suffered abuse if they made a mistake or were below par. Unfortunately patience isn't something that supporters have a lot of but it's essential where young players are concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    Brin, I hope we do give some of the young players a chance but supporters have to realise they may be inconsistent because they are still learning.
    We have a fickle bunch of supporters and, if the team is not up near the top of the table, you can bet the criticism will start.
    We've seen it before for Yates, Wiles and Rodak (admittedly he wasn't ours) who all suffered abuse if they made a mistake or were below par. Unfortunately patience isn't something that supporters have a lot of but it's essential where young players are concerned.
    Funnily enough I see it differently Mellow. I've always found that we have extra patience when it's one of our own. I agree totally if it's a young signing from elsewhere. If THEY don't hit the ground running then we throw them to the wolves far too quickly. But not when it's a young Rotherham lad.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast