+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Tuners for ukuleles, banjos, guitars, basses etc, simplistically clever technology

Tuners for ukuleles, banjos, guitars, basses etc, simplistically clever technology

In order to tune a ukulele, banjo, guitar, bass etc nearly everybody will need a tuner.
    You attach the tuner to the head of the instrument, pluck a string and the tuner will
    register how near the sound is to a specific note, you then tighten or loosen the tension
    of the string. But the simplistically clever aspect of the device is that it does not listen
    to the note, it detects the speed of vibration in the wood of the head of the instrument.
    Physics is wonderful.

You can get a usable tuner for as little as £6 and a decent one for £10. Of course if you are
    absolutely determined to waste money you can spend £50 or more.

It's the first time that I've seen you post something other than space 6EQUJ5,which artists do you listen to? Jefferson Starship,Freddie Mercury or maybe Bill Halley and his Comets?

P paid nowt for mine. Mrsgriff got it for me.

Some people when asked that question try to give an answer that will impress but I will not. I do not listen to anything profound, nor do I wish to hear anyone showing amazingly dextrous technical guitar ability for its own sake. I do not want anything that claims to solve all the world's problems. A pleasant sound is as much as I seek.

Dave Edmunds
    Carpenters
    Status Quo
    Neil Diamond
    Don McLean
    Mud
    Wizzard
    Glenn Miller Band
    Steve Miller Band
    Sweet
    Joe Brown
    Queen
    Simon & Garfunkel

It is easy to criticise organ players as not really musicians because of what you can set up the instrument to do just by pressing one key but here is someone who genuinely plays properly, one note per key press etc.
    I really like Claudia Herschfeld. She plays like an orchestra. Here she is (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgACwGkWde0) playing the John Miles 'Music', here playing 'Eye Of The Tiger' (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5K44Nf9d3o) and the 'Star Wars' theme (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5djMNiopDM).

John Miles is a favourite of mine. He does a lot of big orchestral pop / rock concerts all over Europe as
    the main piano player accompanying various artists. It is clear here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrOfa_gWg04) that he can sing, play guitar and piano
    'live'. Being able to play 'live' is important to me.

It looks like you like your 70's music,I've never seen a film nor read a book that make me cry but I've heard some beautiful songs that brought on a tear

Cat Stevens
    Barenaked Ladies
    Housemartins
    Janis Joplin
    Led Zeppelin
    Jerry Lee Lewis
    Doo Wop in particularl,50's in general
    Beach Boys

Hurt - Johnny Cash.
    Tell me there's a heaven - Chris Rea.
    both bring a tear

Totally agree with Johnny Cash and Hurt,he made the song stunning
    "I wear this crown of thorns
    Upon my liars chair
    Full of broken thoughts
    I cannot repair"

Off the top of my head include...

Dry your eyes The Streets
    Call and Answer Barenaked Ladies
    I'll put you together again Hot Chocolate
    Hallelujah Jeff Buckley
    Seasons (waiting on you) Future Islands the David Letterman version,I still sit open mouthed at this performance,you either get it or you don't

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)