+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Angus.

John Angus.

It is sadly reported that Burnley legend John Angus as passed away aged 82 years old.

He was the best full back to ever play for Burnley FC,

Rest in Peace John.

Bloody hell that is horribly sad news.

Cool as a cucumber was John unless he was facing George Best.

Had the great pleasure to meet him once, R.I.P John, you were one of the very best.

Just spoilt my day did this news.

He was playing when I started going to the Turf, so fond memories. I heard he was running a chippy after retiring from footie somewhere near or in Amble and as we visit Northumberland a lot I always hoped to buy some fish and chips off him. Never did though. RIP John.

R.I.P. Cool John Angus, one of the greatest full backs ever to wear the famous Claret and blue colours.A member of the best ever Burnley side I have seen Condolences to his family.

Quote Originally Posted by kritichris View Post
    He was playing when I started going to the Turf, so fond memories. I heard he was running a chippy after retiring from footie somewhere near or in Amble and as we visit Northumberland a lot I always hoped to buy some fish and chips off him. Never did though. RIP John.
    chris ---I think that you may have misheard about John running a chippy. He was actually working as a chippy, he was an apprentice when he joined Burnley and he carried on working at Hapton Colliery ( I could be wrong about which colliery) along with quite a number of other players.
    When he returned to live in Warkworth he got a job at HMP Acklington which opened on the site of the old RAF fighter base. He worked there, as a chippy, for quite a number of years before he retired. His wife, Florence, used to run a small gift shop in Amble for many years, however, she is not in the best of health.
    This news today came as a really big shock because, when I last saw John a few months ago, he was his usual hale and hearty self.
    RIP John, you will be sadly missed!

Like many of our historic players (and some today) should have got more than his 1 cap for the England team

R.I.P. John

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    chris ---I think that you may have misheard about John running a chippy. He was actually working as a chippy, he was an apprentice when he joined Burnley and he carried on working at Hapton Colliery ( I could be wrong about which colliery) along with quite a number of other players.
    When he returned to live in Warkworth he got a job at HMP Acklington which opened on the site of the old RAF fighter base. He worked there, as a chippy, for quite a number of years before he retired. His wife, Florence, used to run a small gift shop in Amble for many years, however, she is not in the best of health.
    This news today came as a really big shock because, when I last saw John a few months ago, he was his usual hale and hearty self.
    RIP John, you will be sadly missed!
    Cheers SS. It's strange, not something I heard but read pre internet days, so I suspect the "reporter" had got the wrong meaning of chippy then embellished it. For years I thought he was running a chip shop.

Cheers SS. It's strange, not something I heard but read pre internet days, so I suspect the "reporter" had got the wrong meaning of chippy then embellished it. For years I thought he was running a chip shop.
    It is possible that John Angus was confused with John Connelly. It was John Connelly who opened a Chip Shop in Brierfield which he called Connelly's Plaice.

Both John's were great players and Burnley FC Legends.

I think that was John connelly as in connellys place fish and chips ( might be the confusion).

One of my dads favourites a true gentleman and Burnley legend.

He says there weren’t many got the better of him , hard but fair full back and Burnley through and through.

Rip John , another legend leaves us and a great loss to our football club

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)