+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: RIP Walter Smith

RIP Walter Smith

A proper football man, a mentor to many players and upcoming managers on both sides of the border, and from what I hear and read a real gentleman in life. One of his genuinely clever pieces of work, turning a washed up Ally McCoist into a two time golden boot holder! RIP big man.

Cannot say I knew him or followed him, he looked like an old fashioned CID, the kind you would not mess with, it all makes me feel old when these big names start dying! Sad news indeed, weve had our fair share of deaths over the past few years! RIP all...

I guess Im a little older than you TD so have more of a memory of him, I like the CID analogy, very apt, he was part of that era of strong scots players/managers across the game, unfortunately for us non manc fans he was very much a part of SAFs rise to the top among others. As you say, one more to add to the sad toll lately.

Smith/Shankly/Jock Stein/Sir Bobby Robson/Jack Charlton/Cloughie - I'm 51 next week so some of them came before I was old enough but I do know that they are legends in the game. I wonder if the successful managers of the current era will be thought of the same way?

RIP Walter Smith

I recently turned 57, Westy, and I would only rate Shankly, Stein, and Clough among those managers. I would add SAF to that list though, if only for his work at Aberdeen.

Smith, Robson, and Charlton were good people-managers, not necessarily good football managers, as was Saunders.

Still, a sad day for Glasgow Rangers.

R.I.P.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)