+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone please help me solve this ?

Can someone please help me solve this ?

In the early-mid nineties our family were on holiday in Torbay. I took my son to Plainmoor to see a game. During the pre match kick about i beckoned Liam Robinson over for a chat, and he duly obliged. I have no details of the game, no match programme, not even sure if it was the Clarets We were watching. All I remember is telling Liam Robinson I was a Burnley fan. If anyone can give me an help on this it would really be appreciated. Someone is bound to know the answer !!

this might help - Mal.

wasn't Burnley.

Saturday 16th August 1997

Torquay 1 Scarborough 0

Scarborough team,

Martin
    Sutherland
    Snodin
    Williams
    Van Der Velden
    McElhatton
    Brodie
    Atkin
    Bennet
    Robinson
    Kay

Never knew Ian Snodin had played for Scarborough. Doesn't sound much of a game, hope it didn't spoil your holiday Mal.
    Last edited by sinkov; 10-06-2021 at 10:10 PM.

Agree, Burnley's last games against Torquay were in 1991, the play offs and we all know what happened then.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Saturday 16th August 1997

Torquay 1 Scarborough 0

Scarborough team,

Martin
    Sutherland
    Snodin
    Williams
    Van Der Velden
    McElhatton
    Brodie
    Atkin
    Bennet
    Robinson
    Kay

Never knew Ian Snodin had played for Scarborough. Doesn't sound much of a game, hope it didn't spoil your holiday Mal.
    Don’t think it was that game. , can’t see our son wanting to go on holiday with us at 17 years of age. !!! Something tells me it was a couple of years earlier.

The only other games Robinson could have played at Torquay earlier, were in the depths of winter, for Bury on January 18th 1992 and January 16th 1993.

The older I get the more confused I get. "Selective Memory Syndrome" is what the wife calls it. Perhaps you had come up with the family to visit Bury market Mal, or gone to Ashton Gate?

Maybe the Clarets were on a pre season tour of the West Country,having run outs against the likes of Exeter or Tiverton ? I remember seeing them in action against Dawlish one summer- they won that one 4-0.

Quote Originally Posted by malwayne View Post
    Maybe the Clarets were on a pre season tour of the West Country,having run outs against the likes of Exeter or Tiverton ? I remember seeing them in action against Dawlish one summer- they won that one 4-0.
    Now you are on the trail and getting hotter I think Mal. That sounds more than plausible.

Mr Sinkov- it was actually the Torquay v Scarborough game that we attended. Thanks for your help. Having spoken to my son over the weekend, he informs me that it was the last holiday he came on ,with the rest of us, before he did his own thing !I’m grateful for everyone’s help ! Diolch Yn Fawr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)