+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scotland wont take the knee

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    English players discuss and reach an agreement that they want to show their support for anti-racism by taking the knee.

Scottish players do the same but decide that their preferred action to support anti-racism is linking arms.

This action is then taken in a 10 second delay at the start of a football match.

I'd suggest that booing, or outrage on a message board at the footballer's choice of action, or anger/outrage at Scotland for not taking the knee is simply a product of an extremist point of view on either side of the debate.
    The difference is that the Scotland team has made its own decision and will not simply be following a hollow, politically-motivated media-driven gesture that has done absolutely nothing to curb racism.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    I don't think so.

"Wokeism" is a Marxist attack on all popular culture, and indeed on the very concept of "having fun".

Everything has to be serious and political and "important".

Miserable people who want everyone to be similarly miserable.
    The irony of this post is just superb

You never miss a trick....ever... to interject on practically every thread with your miserable, ultra right-wing "reds under the beds" clap-trap.

English players discuss and reach an agreement that they want to show their support for anti-racism by taking the knee.

Scottish players do the same but decide that their preferred action to support anti-racism is linking arms.

This action is then taken in a 10 second delay at the start of a football match.

I'd suggest that booing, or outrage on a message board at the footballer's choice of action, or anger/outrage at Scotland for not taking the knee is simply a product of an extremist point of view on either side of the debate.

I'd disagree. This word extremist gets bandied about far too often. You like to use it a lot but at least you'll try and back it up I suppose.

I wouldn't want my kid taking the knee. There's no way every footballer, black or white, would do this, if given the FREEDOM of choice.

They're in agreement because it follows the narrative they are now forced to follow.

I'd like to see the game address homophobia. There will be young men performing on the world stage in the next 4/5 weeks who are gay, bi***ual etc. We appear consumed by one topic and for one, I believe it's wrong. Players are being supressed and a large swell of public opinion is being ignored.

I listened to Kevin Miles and Tony Burnett yesterday and I thought their comments were out of order. Doesn't mean, regardless of what they, you, or the media say, that I'm a raving racist and an extremist. I don't care what message they think they're sending out, young footballers shouldn't be used as tools.

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post
    I'd disagree. This word extremist gets bandied about far too often. You like to use it a lot but at least you'll try and back it up I suppose.

I wouldn't want my kid taking the knee. There's no way every footballer, black or white, would do this, if given the FREEDOM of choice.

They're in agreement because it follows the narrative they are now forced to follow.

I'd like to see the game address homophobia. There will be young men performing on the world stage in the next 4/5 weeks who are gay, bi***ual etc. We appear consumed by one topic and for one, I believe it's wrong. Players are being supressed and a large swell of public opinion is being ignored.

I listened to Kevin Miles and Tony Burnett yesterday and I thought their comments were out of order. Doesn't mean, regardless of what they, you, or the media say, that I'm a raving racist and an extremist. I don't care what message they think they're sending out, young footballers shouldn't be used as tools.
    I'm not talking about people who raise perfectly good and well balanced opposing opinions to the taking of the knee, or to the football team's choices here. I'm talking only about those who actively boo the action or express repeated outrage on message boards, get abusive or hyper emotional about it. You object to the term 'extremist' being used, but not to the term Marxist to generalise the footy teams and in fact anyone and everyone who might make a pro ant-racist argument. Seems odd.

I completely agree with thoughts on Miles and Burnett and that disagrreing with their stance does not make you either racist or extremist. I suspect if you kept going on about it, ranting and raving about Marxists and globalist agendas, you probably might be.

Good points well made about homophobia in football. At risk of changing the op subject (and this is only for my info, not to start debate) who is doing the suppressing do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    The difference is that the Scotland team has made its own decision and will not simply be following a hollow, politically-motivated media-driven gesture that has done absolutely nothing to curb racism.
    Good point Mellow, the change of symbolic action is a good way of making the point in support of anti-racism but attempting to detach it from the sybolic action of taking the knee which despite best attempts to explain by the England squad and manager that it isn't about BLM but supporting anti-racism, isn't cutting through to a significant number of supporters.

Not read the full thread as it has been taken over by the usual suspects spouting political b@11@x but...............

Scotland have today announced that they WILL "take the knee" against England..........

I'm not bothered if they wear kilts and flash everyone in a Celtic version of the Haka!!!

I'm not talking about people who raise perfectly good and well balanced opposing opinions to the taking of the knee, or to the football team's choices here. I'm talking only about those who actively boo the action or express repeated outrage on message boards, get abusive or hyper emotional about it. You object to the term 'extremist' being used, but not to the term Marxist to generalise the footy teams and in fact anyone and everyone who might make a pro ant-racist argument. Seems odd.

I completely agree with thoughts on Miles and Burnett and that disagrreing with their stance does not make you either racist or extremist. I suspect if you kept going on about it, ranting and raving about Marxists and globalist agendas, you probably might be.

Good points well made about homophobia in football. At risk of changing the op subject (and this is only for my info, not to start debate) who is doing the suppressing do you think?
    The Marxist references didn't warrant a reply from me. Label those comments Extremist if you want because you won't get me objecting. Generalisation gets on my goat. Particularly when a group of young men, simply plying their trade, are guided by their paymasters to follow the narrative.

I'm waiting for the secret poll of 2000 footballers, asking if they had a choice, would they take the knee? I think the majority would but nowhere near the 100% mark. We don't seem to live in a society, where the truth really matters. I think that's sad.

Deal with the issue but this has gone on far too long now.

It's football. The authorities are hypocrites. UEFA have had many opportunities to deal with racism but we've seen their examples of their leniency many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Gainsbro_Miller View Post
    Not read the full thread as it has been taken over by the usual suspects spouting political b@11@x but...............

Scotland have today announced that they WILL "take the knee" against England..........

I'm not bothered if they wear kilts and flash everyone in a Celtic version of the Haka!!!
    Doesn't the opening post invite a discussion? Posts 1 and 2 seemed quite loaded with political opinion from the usual suspects to me, why not object then?

Like the idea of a Celtic haka though. I'd pay good money for that!

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post
    The Marxist references didn't warrant a reply from me. Label those comments Extremist if you want because you won't get me objecting. Generalisation gets on my goat. Particularly when a group of young men, simply plying their trade, are guided by their paymasters to follow the narrative.

I'm waiting for the secret poll of 2000 footballers, asking if they had a choice, would they take the knee? I think the majority would but nowhere near the 100% mark. We don't seem to live in a society, where the truth really matters. I think that's sad.

Deal with the issue but this has gone on far too long now.

It's football. The authorities are hypocrites. UEFA have had many opportunities to deal with racism but we've seen their examples of their leniency many times.
    I don't think the player's decisions are anything to do with their paymasters. I think that anyone who works with black colleagues will be aware of the strength of feeling from many of them about their experiences with racism, and this is quite heightended with players as they are subject to more than most as a result of their public profile. White players working day in day out will be very aware of this and the impact it has on their colleagues, and see it much more clearly than we do. I'm much more aware of it since moving to and working in East London. This isn't to open u p the rights and wrongs of the debate, just to say that I don't think it is purely down to the players and staff, not the bosses. However, such a secret poll would be interesting - I agree that there would be a minority who disagree with taking the knee and some would be black players, probably moreso than white. But in my experience such discussions between work colleagues tend to be quite open and different views heard as there is nothing wrong or unusual in arguing that taking the knee could be counter productive to the overall aim of what they are trying to achieve.

The people who thinks BLM is a Marxist organisation are the same ones who say the BBC is! What a load of clap trap! All political organisations represent a variety of views even the Tory party has a right and left wing to it. I would not doubt that there are some Marxists in the BLM but equally there will be those from the right side of politics who just believe that blacks should have more equality.

The other thing is where area all these Marxists? Not many were interested in Corbyn at the last election. If they were such a threat why didn't he get voted in.

The problem is some folks have their own agenda to be anti knee simply because they ARE racist. (Note the fans who were first against the knee. Well known for their hooligan/ extreme right wing element). Personally I wouldn't want to share the same platform as these scumbags even if I was anti-knee.

I don't doubt that the majority of those who are anti knee are not particularly racist though and may well support other black equality policies eg kick racism out of football.
    Last edited by rolymiller; 11-06-2021 at 02:41 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast