+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For all you ex pats out there...

For all you ex pats out there...

Just got me thinking about the expats only allowed to watch England in Rome today. How passionate they are about England and yet they chose NOT to live in England. How does that work? If you don't want to live in England why be passionate about being English? Don't consider myself very patriotic but don't want to live elsewhere.

Not getting at anyone by the way, just trying to understand how you can still have some patriotic attachment to somewhere you don't live anymore.

Come on Cam, Sota, CTMiller, Frog etc spill the beanz.

Could be part of HM Forces

I have a friend (f) who is married to an Italian.

Don’t ask me, I’m a US citizen. However, I just asked my English mate stood next to me in the pub watching the game and he said that if a P&ki moves to Rotherham he’s still a P@ki in’t he? The cheeky sod.

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Don’t ask me, I’m a US citizen. However, I just asked my English mate stood next to me in the pub watching the game and he said that if a P&ki moves to Rotherham he’s still a P@ki in’t he? The cheeky sod.
    Definitely true in some parts of Rotherham

work offshore and pay no tax....................or NI after the 1st year. Bank it all and come home rich......result.

It's a good question.

I'd say there are many different types of expatriate and you can't generalise with a single answer. Many Brits living overseas have one foot firmly planted in the UK and see themselves primarily as temporarily away from home. They may only have been away for a year or two and are likely to go back in the foreseeable future. Many of them tend to live as English a life as they can - staying within an English community and often comparing their present location unfavourably with the UK. These people sometimes seem even more patriotic than Brits in England and have a sentimental vision of the home country which they are free to idealise from a distance.

At the other end of the scale are the long termers who have usually been away for many years and see their life overseas as the more permanent option. They may eventually go back to England but it becomes less and less likely as time goes on. They have a less sentimental view of Englishness and experience only a very mild feeling of patriotism towards any country. Long term expatriation tends to dull any sense of having an emotional feeling of being a national of somewhere.

I'm exaggerating a fair bit with these descriptions to make the point. Most expatriates are somewhere on the spectrum between these two extremes.

I'm fairly close to the the latter extreme, I would say. I've only lived in England for about six years of the last forty-six. I have a strong emotional sense of coming from Rotherham and Yorkshire and belonging to a tribe that supports the Millers; I don't have any strong feeling of being either English or American.

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Just got me thinking about the expats only allowed to watch England in Rome today. How passionate they are about England and yet they chose NOT to live in England. How does that work? If you don't want to live in England why be passionate about being English? Don't consider myself very patriotic but don't want to live elsewhere.

Not getting at anyone by the way, just trying to understand how you can still have some patriotic attachment to somewhere you don't live anymore.

I think you're being a tad harsh there Roly. There could be loads of reasons (as mentioned above). The only comparison I can make is on a personal level I spent 32 years working in judville. Had a couple of long term partners who were/are female judites (even married one) but at no point did I feel like a Dingle. Rovrum was, is, and always will be my home. Although, I'm looking into getting a pad abroad (love Portugal) but wouldn't emigrate. I'd split my time between Portugal and England (rovrum of course). 😀

Be proud of your town and your country owd pal. We're a tribal primate at the end of the day. And our tribes are Rotherham, England, Britain and the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post

It could be because the England some of us love only really continues to exist in our minds and hearts and the new ghastly place that occupies the same geographical location with its silly new speech patterns and its trivial new “culture” and its resentment and its new religions of Wokism and NHSism and its social engineering and its nasty new rules that attempt to even restrict free thought etc etc bears little resemblance to what we remember as quintessentially English. That said, some of those criticisms (sadly some of the most serious ones) largely apply throughout Europe and beyond.

Thanks for the replies guys some interesting answers. Grumps, i am more a rotherham patriot and yorkshire patriot than an english one. The millers results always are more important to me than Englands.if i had a choice of us going up next season or england winnjng the euros or even world cup the millers would win every time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast