+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Thread vs. Torquay 12.06.21 [NL Playoffs]

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    Agree with that. IB clearly wants defenders who are comfortable on the ball and doesn’t want head it, kick it players like Turner and Rawlinson. But I’m not sure we’re ever going to get out of this league trying to be Man City, and we as fans may have to accept that.

Ultimately, we weren’t good enough over the course of the season and can have no arguments about facing another year in this league. The retained list and recruitment this summer will be fascinating.
    I wouldn't give up on Rawlo, he's shown before that he's capable of improving his game.
    The trick is not turning it into a choice between the two types - you can get both, a fully fit Lacey isn't far off.

Sorting out the midfield and Centre-forward options is far bigger priorities than central defence IMO... but first he has to decide his system. If it's 3-5-2 a right-wing back has to be top of the list

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    So you wouldn’t keep Brindley, Lacey and Doyle (as assistant and back-up CM?)
    Well, Doyle as assistant, maybe. Brindley I would consider. Lacey too injury prone.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Well here we are again for another season in the NL. I didn't get the chance to watch the extra time but I gather we were in part the architects of our own downfall and the ref finished the job?

What a deflated feeling. After normal time when I had to join a meeting I felt we were on the way to winning it. Typical Notts eh?

I can fully understand the bad language that's emanated from a few of us under these circumstances but please can everyone tone it down and also refrain from any further personal insults using foul and abusive language to our own fans. We all feel bad so let's not make it worse for each other for goodness' sake. I'll be holding off with the yellow and red cards and permanent bans until I have also calmed down
    Goosfraba..........

The live TV curse away from home rolls on and on and on.......

13 without a win now, 11 defeats and 2 draws. What an abysmal sequence that is.

In all of those 13 games, today was only the 2nd time in which we've scored more than one goal. The other was at Anfield!

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    I wouldn't give up on Rawlo, he's shown before that he's capable of improving his game.
    The trick is not turning it into a choice between the two types - you can get both, a fully fit Lacey isn't far off.

Sorting out the midfield and Centre-forward options is far bigger priorities than central defence IMO... but first he has to decide his system. If it's 3-5-2 a right-wing back has to be top of the list
    If we were to sign Ellis and continue playing three centre-halves in the way IB wants us to, then Rawlinson and Ellis as old-fashioned "head it, kick it" centre-halves would be the first choice and cover for the central position in the three, and you need that depth. Lacey on the other hand is a silkier player and could probably occupy one of the two more attacking positions in the back three.

Chicksen - whilst definitely a good player - is not really a central defender and his comparative lack of aerial power was exposed by the first goal today. It appears that IB favours a similar system to that used by Chris Wilder at Sheffield United where two of the centre-halves are far more adventurous than you would normally expect, but they probably do still need to have the basic characteristics of centre-halves in terms of height and physical presence, otherwise we'll continue to be vulnerable at set pieces and from crosses.
    Last edited by jackal2; 12-06-2021 at 02:57 PM.

I'm afraid the reason we are still in the National League can be utterly summer up by contributors on this board today! Just like Notts , have accepted our fate as nobody has been , satisfied just to make the playoffs. I believe the vast majority of this squad lack the desire, intensity of quality to get us out of this league . We should start again root and branch!! Only keeping in my opinion 5 players and certainly NOT DOYLE!! lest we forget we have been in a downward spiral since signing him and today it was his appalling passing that cost us the game. Get rid of the players who have a losing mentality and keep just the core Of 5 at a push 6. And please, supporters, stop accepting second best!!

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    If we were to sign Ellis and continue playing three centre-halves in the way IB wants us to, then Rawlinson and Ellis as old-fashioned "head it, kick it" centre-halves would be the first choice and cover for the central position in the three, and you need that depth. Lacey on the other hand is a silkier player and could probably occupy one of the two more attacking positions in the back three.

Chicksen is not really a central defender and his comparative lack of aerial power was exposed by the first goal today. It appears that IB favours a similar system to that used by Chris Wilder at Sheffield United where two of the centre-halves are far more adventurous than you would normally expect, but they probably do still need to have the basic characteristics of centre-halves in terms of height and physical presence, otherwise we'll continue to be vulnerable at set pieces and from crosses.
    Common sense spoken herein the heat of a painful defeat. You cannot blame NA for what happened today thats ridiculous. The first goal is another carbon copy goal where we are expecting fullbacks do a centre backs job. Its as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Warnocks Legends View Post
    I'm afraid the reason we are still in the National League can be utterly summer up by contributors on this board today! Just like Notts , have accepted our fate as nobody has been , satisfied just to make the playoffs. I believe the vast majority of this squad lack the desire, intensity of quality to get us out of this league . We should start again root and branch!! Only keeping in my opinion 5 players and certainly NOT DOYLE!! lest we forget we have been in a downward spiral since signing him and today it was his appalling passing that cost us the game. Get rid of the players who have a losing mentality and keep just the core Of 5 at a push 6. And please, supporters, stop accepting second best!!
    I just really fed up of it all
    3 of there goals should have never been, offside, handball, and penelty
    Just think Ardley blew notts best chance of getting back to the football league against harragate, and he had no excuses

Perhaps Notts will never get out of this league like wrexham, whilst i am optimistic for next season, its a lot to do for Notts to finish top, otherwise we will be in the play offs again, where we must finish 2nd or 3rd to gain home advantage

Hope springs eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    Just think Ardley blew notts best chance of getting back to the football league against harragate, and he had no excuses

Perhaps Notts will never get out of this league like wrexham, whilst i am optimistic for next season, its a lot to do for Notts to finish top, otherwise we will be in the play offs again, where we must finish 2nd or 3rd to gain home advantage

Hope springs eternal
    Absolutely agree, unless we drastically change of players or our mentality we will just become another has-been league side. No money coming in last year, no parachute payments and dwindling crowds. The National League for us began as a novelty but has quickly become reality !!

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post

Hope springs eternal

I said at the time that it could well be our best chance for a while. Anything less than top 3 is a failure as far as next season goes.

Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast