+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Lack Of Insects This Year.

A Lack Of Insects This Year.

I wonder if anyone else has noticed this, maybe you Des?

Normally, living in the countryside like I do, I see a lot of insect life by this time in the year.

I’ve never known as few flies, bees, wasps, ladybirds and daddy long legs by this time in the year.

We didn’t get a single May Beetle this year either which is very strange.

Something feels wrong, it’s like something is messing with the natural order of things.

I agree with you Mick. Not so much variety or number of birds either, excepting the damn magpies.

I am the co-ordinator for an insect recording scheme in South East England and everyone is saying the same, April with its cold winds & low temperatures, was an absolute disaster. Things have begun to pick up in the last couple of weeks but we are about a month behind where we should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Epsombaggie View Post
    I am the co-ordinator for an insect recording scheme in South East England and everyone is saying the same, April with its cold winds & low temperatures, was an absolute disaster. Things have begun to pick up in the last couple of weeks but we are about a month behind where we should be.
    I’m surprised to hear you say that about April Epsom.

My business is very weather dependent during spring and summer and we had a fantastic April due to the weather being so nice, not nearly as warm as 2020 at the same stage but nevertheless a very dry and sunny month.

May was terrible, as wet as I can ever recall, June is now set fair to be a very nice month looking at the forward forecast.

The lack of insects suits me because my house seems to attract them, I have a can of fly spray in almost every room as the flies drive me mad.

I only kill flies though and wasps if they’re proving difficult to catch, I always catch and release Bees.

Saw on spring watch that everything is a month behind due to the cold April temperatures that’s why the swift’s n swallows were late arriving as the insect life they eat just hadn’t hatched yet

They said bluetits will struggle to raise young this year because they feed there young on caterpillars that eat oak tree leaves but the cold meant the leaves were late opening so no caterpillars on the trees so the bluetits had very little food supply

Mick you are right about the sunshine; it was the cold temperatures & particularly the biting winds which were the game-changers. As Viaduct says we are about a month behind

Lots of insects by us Mick, the field's behind us are full of bee's, butterflies, and shield beetle's.
    I saw lot's of May bug's last month.
    The field's behind us though are horse field's and full of wildflowers.

Not just this Year.
    Do we all remember years ago when our windscreens and number plates where covered with dead insects after we took a drive in the country at this time of year.

Yo Micky kid lol, and hey Im sure Al would agree with me as well... there's been one hell of an annoying insect on here recently, and he's called OWV.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Yo Micky kid lol, and hey Im sure Al would agree with me as well... there's been one hell of an annoying insect on here recently, and he's called OWV.

Would agree with that! Can we not start a ILM - Insects Lives Matter and ask the footballers to take a knee for this one which would receive better press?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)