+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Wooton

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    What is a target man? 6ft plus who you pump the ball up to?, cos we aren't playing that style of footy

We haven't had one, Lee Hughes would be the nearest.
    How many goals has he scored from corners free kicks, balls crossed into the box?
    Who knows, irishpete? Perhaps if Sam was playing he might latch onto some of those crosses? But if we had someone with pace who could keep enemy defenders in their own half then perhaps Rodders and Roberts wouldn't need to help out in defence and could supply the feeds to more than just an isolated Wooton.

Meanwhile, IB runs a scheme that allows Sam to start one in three games whether he scores or not, brilliant goal of the season one game, dropped the next. Wooton carries on alone, still scoring and missing.

Quote Originally Posted by CamPie View Post
    This is my thought also. To slag off Wootton is unbelievable to me. He’s had a good season and worked tirelessly for the team without the support around him that Thomas or Dennis provided last year and was not replaced. Knowles and Sam are not it.
    I know emotions maybe running high, but I find it absolutely unbelievable that some fans are criticising or wanting to get rid of Wootton who was the joint 4th top goalscorer in the league. Not to mention the work he does with and off the ball.

Has it been forgotten that we lost the goals of Dennis and Thomas and that Kyle Wootton has had the weight of the goals on him for the season? No striker scores with every shot or attempt they have. We would also have been in a far worst position had we not had his 17 league goals.

If we can find another striker who can provide the work rate and return of goals similar to Kyle in the past two seasons who can play alongside him we will be a much stronger team for it. In fact that could be what makes us a potential title winning team.

Likewise if he did leave (not that he should as he is under contract) we would have a big problem.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    I know emotions maybe running high, but I find it absolutely unbelievable that some fans are criticising or wanting to get rid of Wootton who was the joint 4th top goalscorer in the league. Not to mention the work he does with and off the ball.

Has it been forgotten that we lost the goals of Dennis and Thomas and that Kyle Wootton has had the weight of the goals on him for the season? No striker scores with every shot or attempt they have. We would also have been in a far worst position had we not had his 17 league goals.

If we can find another striker who can provide the work rate and return of goals similar to Kyle in the past two seasons who can play alongside him we will be a much stronger team for it. In fact that could be what makes us a potential title winning team.

Likewise if he did leave (not that he should as he is under contract) we would have a big problem.
    I agree, and let's hope for continued development. The most pressing area for attention is his goals to attempts ratio. I think he gets good chances every game but sometimes fluffs his lines, like he did yesterday. Effort and commitment, 17 goals - definitely one to keep!

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Wooton has his role to play and is deffo an improving player. If you look at his target man skills now as compared to when he first arrived they are much improved. Our biggest mistake was not replacing ''like for as near to like'', as possible when Dennis and Thomas left. We've asked an awful lot of him this season and only signed bit part players to help him along.
    Absolutely agree with all of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridg4d_Pie_ View Post
    He speaks excedingly well of you too.
    If you don't like get off the Ride nobody is forcing you to stay.😡😡
    Oh it's safe to say he's definitely "off the ride"

For those of you debating Kyle Wootton and the role of a target man you might want to watch this, I know some of you will have already seen it but the evolution of the traditional target man and how Wootton fits into this is discussed at some length and draws comparison with the likes of Kane and Lukaku who epitomise the modern day No.9 …

Wootton is probably the best striker we've had at the club since Hughes. We desperately need more up front to give him some competition. But he's the sort of player you build the team around.Get his contract renewed past the end of next season if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayeayeskipper View Post
    Instead of an exchange of opinions, you could all choose to bloke me. Easy peasy.
    Bloke you? Don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Oh it's safe to say he's definitely "off the ride"
    Agreed. 👍👍

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456