+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Players to be furloughed

If this story is true I will take the knee in my garden for 1 day on the trot

In that report it also states it will be hard for players like Smith and crooks who have just had bids rejected for them. Hmmmmm,. Have we?

The only surprise to me is that we hadn’t already done it.

Embarrassing. Beginning to think we've had our day.

But how long is the loss of matches income going to go on for
    Will there be a full quota of paying fans at the nys in August?
    I'm not so sure if current national health rumours are to be believed.

Tony must also have taken a hit in his other businesses.

So is this to be frowned upon or is it just prudence and risk mitigation.
    As custodian of our club I for one would like him to do everything he can to keep us going

Not sure this is true yet but, it makes TS and 1 of his famous quotes a bit silly(again):

"We're better off in the Championship with no fans than League 1 with full houses".................how much have we lost this season????

...hollow words indeed Tony lad.......

It seems a sensible and prudent thing to do

I suspect Tony and Co think that the new season won’t start on time and that the club will need some assistance to avoid cash flow problems

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    It seems a sensible and prudent thing to do

I suspect Tony and Co think that the new season won’t start on time and that the club will need some assistance to avoid cash flow problems
    Footballers generally report back 1st July. Rotherham and the vast majority of League clubs will use Furlough during the close season.

Unless the covid death rate goes up significantly, there won’t be a delay, to the start of next season

This is simply using a furlough scheme that is available to all businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post
    Footballers generally report back 1st July. Rotherham and the vast majority of League clubs will use Furlough during the close season.

Unless the covid death rate goes up significantly, there won’t be a delay, to the start of next season

This is simply using a furlough scheme that is available to all businesses.
    Yes, that’s how I see it

What agenda are these papers peddling?

The real thing that annoys me about this is that within the last couple of weeks TS had an interview on Radio Sheffield & not a word was said.
    He says he wants an instant return to the Championship.

Therefore, I have difficulty in reconciling the two stories, so it would seem someone has been economical with the truth. It actually was refreshing to hear TS on the radio as one of the criticisms I have had with the club in the past is the lack of information directly from the club. It normally comes from third parties or behind a paywall.

When stories like this emerge it is important that someone from the club responds. The issue of furlough is no big deal. Much bigger companies than RUFC have benefitted from such schemes and am sure a lot of clubs are doing it.
    So why would a National newspaper have an axe to grind against our club specifically?
    As has been said earlier in the thread, there may be some truth in it, and it may well be that, if furlough is / was on offer the club may well make up the balance of wages instead of paying the full whack while there is an opportunity to claw some of that expense back

The problem I would have is if the players have not received 100% of their wages that would be a major error, as all along we have been given to believe that we were in better shape than most, not because it was easy with having no crowds, but the fact that we have been in the Championship should mitigate at least some of the shortfall and position us favourably against most clubs in leagues 1 and 2 who have neither the crowd money nor the additional funding from the Championship.

Many of the bigger clubs also traditionally have a much higher wage to revenue ratio than us, so, that being the case, there would be many clubs much worse off than us which makes me wonder why the Mail just focus on RUFC?

The club has not taken money on advance ticket sales, so I find the story difficult to believe, except when in a plausible business sense mentioned above.

As always with these stories, the lack of a response from the club gives rise to many conspiracy theories, which wouldn’t be the case with better communication. Add the fact that, unlike many of our competitors the emphasis has been on players potentially leaving as opposed to signing, it all adds fuel to the fire and gives credence to the doom mongers who run us down at every opportunity.

The club could shut this up with one statement, rather than silence, or via the grapevine or “need to know basis”.

I know our wage bill wasn’t anywhere near the level of most in the Championship but, I am given to understand we are financially competitive at League 1 level, so I would be very disappointed if there was any truth in this story which might give cause to change my views.

Communication has been a major barrier with us in the past, and why we are perceived as a club punching above their weight.
    Last edited by Nardendee; 13-06-2021 at 03:09 AM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast