+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Squad next season

Quote Originally Posted by bule1 View Post
    Don't think we need a massive clear out. More a case of getting rid of deadwood and upgrading in some key areas. More speed in general would be good (not the drug).
    Agreed. Concentrate on strengthening where we’re weak. Don’t throw the baby out…..

This whole "we lost in the play-offs so let's get rid of most of the team" idea is nuts. Personally I'd like to see us free up a 6-7 squad places (perhaps letting go of Turner, McCrory, a reserve keeper or two, Enzio if he's on crazy wages, O'Brien and all the loan players except Ellis and Miller).

I'd like to see us spend that money on a 3-4 truly exceptional options at CM and CF. It's clear, even after a disappointing day, that we are close and just need a few more exceptional players to get there.

Stop making sense DSR.

I would keep
    Slocombe
    Brindley
    Ellis
    Lacey
    Rawlinson
    Chicksen
    Doyle
    Boldewijn
    Rodriguez
    Miller
    Roberts
    Wootton

Get rid of the rest and buy 7 or 8 quality players
    Getting rid of all but 5 or 6 isn't wise. A team needs time to gel so starting from square one will probably give us a slow start to the new season
    Last edited by SwalePie; 12-06-2021 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbowpie View Post
    I would keep
    Slocombe
    Brindley
    Ellis
    Lacey
    Rawlinson
    Chicksen
    Doyle
    Boldewijn
    Rodriguez
    Miller
    Roberts
    Wootton

Getting rid of all but 5 or 6 isn't wise. A team needs time to gel so starting from square one will probably give us a slow start to the new season
    Agreed

OK, provided we have targets to replace and improve in their positions. Seriously hope we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbowpie View Post
    I would keep
    Slocombe
    Brindley
    Ellis
    Lacey
    Rawlinson
    Chicksen
    Doyle
    Boldewijn
    Rodriguez
    Miller
    Roberts
    Wootton

This is more reasonable. Even getting 7-8 new players in will result in extremely poor team cohesion initially. Even if it's done quickly the pre-season won't be enough to completely gel them together and we'll most likely have a mediocre beginning to next season.

I feel rather strongly that we're very close to a team that can win automatic promotion next season, and only a few changes are necessary. However, some players, although still excellent, are at or close to retirement age and likely to be in physical decline.

Quote Originally Posted by Warnocks Legends View Post
    Time to completely rebuild and in my opinion keep only 6/7 best players as rest will not get us promoted!!
    The squad doesn't need major surgery in my opinion. Look at what happened after the Nolan play-off season when we did that? It did not end well.

We fell short of the title by five wins and we drew an extra game than Sutton and lost four more than them generally those defeats coming against the lesser sides. Some of these players have been playing together for two seasons and that counts for alot in football. We also hear that the team spirit is excellent as well.

We know where we need to be better, that's defensively from set pieces, a fox in the box striker and/or someone to replace the goals from Dennis and Thomas as we did not do that adequately this season. Likewise energy and strength in central midfield. We also have the returning Cal Roberts who will be like a new signing.

All it needs in my view is 4-5 players with qualities and strengths we don't have or have lacked this season and we should be in a with a good chance of challenging for the title.

Now is not the time to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
    Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 12-06-2021 at 07:11 PM.

If you get your wish and only keep 6/7 players then you have to give it two seasons to expect success as a minimum. It very rarely works the very next season forget needing time to gel and slow starts to the season the main reason is recruitment is tough when you are looking for 6/7 players, it's very tough to get right if you are signing double that!

DSR nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    The squad doesn't need major surgery in my opinion. Look at what happened after the Nolan play-off season when we did that? It did not end well.

We fell short of the title by five wins and we drew an extra game than Sutton and lost four more than them generally those defeats coming against the lesser sides. Some of these players have been playing together for two seasons and that counts for alot in football. We also hear that the team spirit is excellent as well.

We know where we need to be better, that's defensively from set pieces, a fox in the box striker and/or someone to replace the goals from Dennis and Thomas as we did not do that adequately this season. Likewise energy and strength in central midfield. We also have the returning Cal Roberts who will be like a new signing.

All it needs in my view is 4-5 players with qualities and strengths we don't have or have lacked this season and we should be in a with a good chance of challenging for the title.

Now is not the time to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
    Agree with this. Wholesale change should be a last resort, not something we should be contemplating now. I’m sure the likes of McCrory, Barnett and Turner have played their last games in a Notts shirt, maybe JOB, Sam and Enzio too.

Once the dust settles, we’ll be able to reflect on what went wrong this season. Right now, it obviously feels like a step backwards from last season, but there are signs of hope that next season will be better - but only if we do a better job with recruitment.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast