+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Squad next season

I doubt under our current owners that finances or lack of finances will be a valid excuse for not getting promoted.

Far too much emphasis is being placed on the lack of a parachute payment and its perceived end of the world connotations. There is clear historical evidence that it's not a big factor in a clubs promotion chances.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    I doubt under our current owners that finances or lack of finances will be a valid excuse for not getting promoted.

Far too much emphasis is being placed on the lack of a parachute payment and its perceived end of the world connotations. There is clear historical evidence that it's not a big factor in a clubs promotion chances.
    I agree with this. It's not all gloomy a picture as maybe being painted. Whilst history will say that this season was our lowest ever finish in the pyramid because we finished a couple of places lower than last season, and did not make the play-off final there is plenty to be positive about that I've mentioned elsewhere on here.

I recall an interview with the owners saying we would have a competitive budget whatever league we were in so we shouldn't get too hung up on parachute payments. Barrow, Harrogate, Sutton and one from Torquay, Hartlepool or Stockport haven't had them while we have been in this league and it's not hindered them. It just proves you don't need to be big spenders at this level to win the title or to get promoted. What you have to do is be good at what you do as a team on a consistent basis, beat the lesser teams and that's something we have struggled with at times in the past two seasons.
    Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 13-06-2021 at 08:33 AM.

I'd keep the following:

Slocombe

DKE
    Rawlo
    Chicksen
    Brindley
    Ellis (if possible)
    Lacey

Reeves
    Miller (if possible)
    Ruben
    Cal

Wootton
    Knight

Get rid of the rest.

It's pretty clear we need fresh blood in midfield - ideally with the grit and physicality to boss teams at this level. We could do with one more no-nonsense CB to replace Turner. Then we'll need cover/competition for Wootton up top.

Regarding our finances, didn't we post a record profit of 4 million last year? I think we'll be OK even without the parachute payments. Our owners seem to have the perfect combo of being well-backed but not stupid, so we can expect any money we have to be used more effectively than we are used to.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I'd keep the following:

Slocombe

DKE
    Rawlo
    Chicksen
    Brindley
    Ellis (if possible)
    Lacey

Reeves
    Miller (if possible)
    Ruben
    Cal

Wootton
    Knight

Get rid of the rest.

It's pretty clear we need fresh blood in midfield - ideally with the grit and physicality to boss teams at this level. We could do with one more no-nonsense CB to replace Turner. Then we'll need cover/competition for Wootton up top.

Regarding our finances, didn't we post a record profit of 4 million last year? I think we'll be OK even without the parachute payments. Our owners seem to have the perfect combo of being well-backed but not stupid, so we can expect any money we have to be used more effectively than we are used to.
    I would go with that...

I'd keep the following:

Slocombe

DKE
    Rawlo
    Chicksen
    Brindley
    Ellis (if possible)
    Lacey

Reeves
    Miller (if possible)
    Ruben
    Cal

Wootton
    Knight

Get rid of the rest.

Pretty much this.

Like you say, centre midfield needs a complete makeover. Players like Torquays Asa Hall need to be high on the agenda to add physicality, legs and an aerial presence in both boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Some sensible comments about not making wholesale changes.
    I would be comfortable if the starting 11 from yesterday were all in next years squad with Doyle taking more of a management role and in the squad as back up. Add Roberts and Lacey to it and it’s strong. What would need to happen is that we strengthen in key areas.
    A lot though will depend on what system IB wants to play as we really don’t know if 3-5-2 is his favourite system. I quite like it and how in the main we have performed with it over the last month or so, and it suited the players available.
    Time will tell and we will probably know more Monday or Tuesday with the retained list.
    I reckon IB will set up more as 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 which would get the best out of RR and Roberts whilst also allowing 2 proper centre backs to be on the pitch to deal with set pieces

I'd keep the following:

Slocombe

DKE
    Rawlo
    Chicksen
    Brindley
    Ellis (if possible)
    Lacey

Reeves
    Miller (if possible)
    Ruben
    Cal

Wootton
    Knight

Get rid of the rest.

Yes, a very good list. I've got a few doubts on 2 or 3 of the players named, but trust IB to know what to do
    Also, Enzio if he will sign for less. And Sam who was never been given a run of games like others were and is under contract anyway I think.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    On the subject of central defence - is defending set pieces & playing out from the back mutually exclusive? And too much to ask at NL level, as someone said on here yesterday...

I don't think so. It might look like it from the last quarter of the season, but there were special circumstances.

IB was picking 2 or 3 from Ellis, Lacey, Rawlinson and Turner for his first 10 matches in charge. But we were losing games by getting done in the air and on the ground!!! The centre-backs looked confused, didn't take full responsibility, made errors as well as not playing it out well from the back. So what was there to lose by going with Brindley and Chicksen if we were getting done by set pieces anyway? Then the Wrexham game with Brindley-Ellis-Chicksen was our best defensive performance of the season. So you can be forgiven for sticking to that when the other options were failing anyway.

I think IB is enough of a pragmatist to deliver both next season. And you have to have both, so even if it takes a different formation or personnel, it'll get sorted.
    Different formation is the key. A flat back 4 of Brindley, Rawlinson, Ellis, McCrory (or Chicksen) deals better with set pieces than a back 3

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton_Pie View Post
    Different formation is the key. A flat back 4 of Brindley, Rawlinson, Ellis, McCrory (or Chicksen) deals better with set pieces than a back 3
    Maybe so. But you can't fix it that way and sacrifice attacking full-back play or good distribution from the centre-backs in the process
    If we want the finish top or top 3 we'll have to be a dominant team and have ALL of that, so we'll need Lacey or someone like him and I don't see how McCrory, or even Chicksen, features if that's the plan.

Can Chicksen be a top drawer attacking left-back? Dunno...

Good thread
    Interesting thoughts

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast