+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should have been MoM

Should have been MoM

What a performance from Phillip's!

Almost as good as when he plays for Leeds, and the only reason he wasn't is he didn't have the likes of Dallas, Klich, Bamford etc. class of the highest order and so say the pundits!y

Phillips, Phillips, PHILLIPS!!!!!! Stupid goddam phone and predictive text!

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    What a performance from Phillip's!

Almost as good as when he plays for Leeds, and the only reason he wasn't is he didn't have the likes of Dallas, Klich, Bamford etc. class of the highest order and so say the pundits!y
    Watched it live and I didn't appreciate how good he is. He was class hope he brings that next season baring injuries. I was wrong in the championship I thought he was such and such and couldn't understand how people were raving at him so much.
    Name:  gettyimages-458646265-612x612.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  63.6 KB

Heineken are the match sponsors I believe and it is much better for their brand to have superstar Sterling as MOTM than Phillips sadly. These awards are rarely the best player it is always just someone who scores or someone who the match sponsor likes.

Even without the sublime assist (which Sterling nearly messed up), Phillips was easily the most effective player on the pitch.

Bielsa has really turned him into a diamond.

will be very interesting to see what happens if he keeps playing this way and stays injury free.

He will be at the crossroads that so many great athletes have been at a key time in their career. He is nearing that.

1) leave for huge money and "a chance to play european football". set for life financially but just another player (or more likely agent) looking for money.

2) stay in his hometown and take a club up to the big time. A key player that defines his career and his legacy based on his accomplishments on, and off, the field. Forever a hero in his hometown.

The lure of money is huge but how much can anyone really spend if you live any kind of normal life? Understandable, even for a 25 year old but so often the money's fleeting and the lack of status is never offset by money.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    will be very interesting to see what happens if he keeps playing this way and stays injury free.

He will be at the crossroads that so many great athletes have been at a key time in their career. He is nearing that.

1) leave for huge money and "a chance to play european football". set for life financially but just another player (or more likely agent) looking for money.

2) stay in his hometown and take a club up to the big time. A key player that defines his career and his legacy based on his accomplishments on, and off, the field. Forever a hero in his hometown.

The lure of money is huge but how much can anyone really spend if you live any kind of normal life? Understandable, even for a 25 year old but so often the money's fleeting and the lack of status is never offset by money.
    I guess if a big club came in eg Barca Real he probably won't be able to resist not just for money. I don't think he would leave for another premier league club.

Quote Originally Posted by ozleeds View Post
    I guess if a big club came in eg Barca Real he probably won't be able to resist not just for money. I don't think he would leave for another premier league club.
    Not sure I agree. I suspect he wants to be that legend Spaldy mentioned and it will be up to Leeds the make it financially attractive to do so. He wants to play, that's obvious, and joining a huge squad makes that prospect less likely, all a matter of making the "package" the right one.

I hope it's option 2 anyway!

He is on pretty good money at Leeds and has some decent sponsorship deals. Sure he will stay for at least as long as Bielsa is here.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    He is on pretty good money at Leeds and has some decent sponsorship deals. Sure he will stay for at least as long as Bielsa is here.
    I dont think money will be the motivating factor, I suspect it will be the challenge of playing in the elite competitions against the best, with a chance of winning trophies.

Hopefully the club will soon be able to offer all that, if not I think he will one day seek a move just like Kane is at Spurs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)