+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Taking the knee - a double standard

I like the sentiment humble but the tune needs work.

I don’t find myself either in or out of favour of players, or anyone else for that matter taking the knee.

There may be an argument from some that certain players feel pressured to do so in fear of being singled out, but I prefer to see it in a way that it shows a bond between the team, that if some players feel the need to express their feelings in this way then they have full support of their team mates. Gareth Southgate spoke very eloquently on the reasons for his team taking the knee and he has my full support.

Is it political, or is it being made political? I’m still of the opinion it is being done to raise awareness of inequality, and not just racial, maybe I’m naive. Footballers and celebrities get a lot of criticism for the way they carry on sometimes, but now they’ve come together to make a stance for a real worthwhile cause and to make a change and still they get criticised for it.

I think it is great that people with such high profiles are standing together, it’ll have more impact than anything any politician will ever do. The media, social media, and the man down the pub always bemoan these millionaire footballers and that they should be role models for the future generations.....

...but now they are doing that they’re getting booed!

The world is full of hypocrisy and the woke who support it try and belittle those who question it. You find as soon as you ask a question when something doesn't stack up, they come out with their patronizing comments to try and stop anyone querying their woke-ism.

Quote Originally Posted by Lullapie View Post
    The world is full of hypocrisy and the woke who support it try and belittle those who question it. You find as soon as you ask a question when something doesn't stack up, they come out with their patronizing comments to try and stop anyone querying their woke-ism.
    It’s great when people who have English as their second or maybe even third language feel confident enough to contribute to the debate.

I go to a football match to watch a football match. If I want to do politics I do it at the ballot box.

I have a lot of sympathy for a lot of causes, but I go to Meadow Lane to watch Notts.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I go to a football match to watch a football match. If I want to do politics I do it at the ballot box.

I have a lot of sympathy for a lot of causes, but I go to Meadow Lane to watch Notts.
    We all go to Notts to watch Notts.

If however some or all Notts players decided to make a very brief protest for a particular cause, would you boo them?

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    We all go to Notts to watch Notts.

If however some or all Notts players decided to make a very brief protest for a particular cause, would you boo them?
    No I wouldn't boo them, but just like having to go through a minute's applause for a dead person with no connection to the club, I would want it over and done with as quickly as possible so we could kick off.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    No I wouldn't boo them, but just like having to go through a minute's applause for a dead person with no connection to the club, I would want it over and done with as quickly as possible so we could kick off.
    We all know there’s too many minute’s silences for every Tom, Dick and Harry. The Diana effect.

Would take a weird person to start booing instead though.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    It’s great when people who have English as their second or maybe even third language feel confident enough to contribute to the debate.
    His last line sums up your answer perfectly.

I don't see how it's a double standard to accept an accolade from your society while also wanting it to be better.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast