+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Taking the knee - a double standard

Quote Originally Posted by Jampie View Post
    I don't see how it's a double standard to accept an accolade from your society while also wanting it to be better.
    Is bending the knee an accolade? Or is it now a routine? Wilfried Zaha thinks it's better to be seen standing tall rather then kneeling.

Taking the knee as an anti racist message is not a problem for me but I feel it has been long enough now. What's more interesting to me is what UTM correctly stated on a thread the other day, now the players are at the forefront of social injustice and collect titles for it from the Queen, will those same players be boycotting a world Cup that has been built on the deaths of basically slave labourers and gays get the death penalty. None of them will and this is the problem.

I personally wouldn't take the knee as it is too much of a struggle to stand up again. But if others want to, that's fine by me. And I wouldn't boo those that do or don't.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    Is bending the knee an accolade? Or is it now a routine? Wilfried Zaha thinks it's better to be seen standing tall rather then kneeling.
    Bending the knee is a protest (in this context) and a pretty tame one I reckon...

Quote Originally Posted by Jampie View Post
    Bending the knee is a protest (in this context) and a pretty tame one I reckon...
    It's a submissive gesture hardly symbolising black pride or cousinly togetherness. It's now lost it's impact and become a routine. Without doubt some players couldn't care less but dare not stay standing for the good of their careers. Solidarity my arse.

The kneeling is far older than BLM, George Floyd etc. but seems to have become confused by some with those more recent developments. I thought it had started about 2016 in the NFL with Colin Kaepernick but I may be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    The kneeling is far older than BLM, George Floyd etc. but seems to have become confused by some with those more recent developments. I thought it had started about 2016 in the NFL with Colin Kaepernick but I may be wrong.

photo taken in 1915 of Americans doing the Bellamy Salute, an expression of allegiance to the flag of the United States and the republic of the United States of America.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post

photo taken in 1915 of Americans doing the Bellamy Salute, an expression of allegiance to the flag of the United States and the republic of the United States of America.
    Pardon my apparent ignorance but what's the connection?
    Last edited by SwalePie; 15-06-2021 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Pardon my apparent ignorance but what's the connection?
    A symbol of fascism, the Nazi salute in this case, had its' origins in something relatively benign in comparison to what it came to represent.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    A symbol of fascism, the Nazi salute in this case, had its' origins in something relatively benign in comparison to what it came to represent.
    Yes I noticed that similarity of course. How does this pertain to sports players around the world taking the knee to show they want to see the end of racism though? I guess if you're one of those people who thinks it is somehow a political gesture you could argue there's a parallel of some kind. Personally I abhor racism so I support them wholeheartedly.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast