+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Taking the knee - a double standard

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Yes I noticed that similarity of course. How does this pertain to sports players around the world taking the knee to show they want to see the end of racism though? I guess if you're one of those people who thinks it is somehow a political gesture you could argue there's a parallel of some kind. Personally I abhor racism so I support them wholeheartedly.
    You have the right and freedom to support it.
    As of today, supporters in the stands have the right to boo this gesture, though there are those demanding those supporters be identified, thrown out of the stadium and banned for life. Again, they have the right to express their opinion, but if that were to be put into practice, then it becomes another issue altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    You have the right and freedom to support it.
    As of today, supporters in the stands have the right to boo this gesture, though there are those demanding those supporters be identified, thrown out of the stadium and banned for life. Again, they have the right to express their opinion, but if that were to be put into practice, then it becomes another issue altogether.
    Yes I totally agree with you - free speech is also fundamental to a free and fair society. I do, however, think that a significant percentage of those booing either misunderstand the meaning of the gesture, misunderstand the intention of the booing, or both.

Southgate and the players have been absolutely crystal clear and consistent as to why our national side are taking the knee. Those 'supporters' booing their own team seem to think they know better or simply do not want to be challenged in their bigoted/small-minded views gifted to them by that well known English patriot Murdoch.

I suspect a venn diagram of those booing and the people that shout 'no surrender' during the national anthem or sing about German bombers would form a perfect circle.

Or it could be that some of the players taking the knee are well known Marxists, I'm thinking Jude Bellingham and Jack Grealish could be the Marxist ringleaders.
    Last edited by Mapperleypie; 15-06-2021 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Yes I totally agree with you - free speech is also fundamental to a free and fair society. I do, however, think that a significant percentage of those booing either misunderstand the meaning of the gesture, misunderstand the intention of the booing, or both.
    I dare say a percentage of the people booing will be the sort of people who will have sympathies towards far right extremism, but also a similar percentage of people supporting this knee will be neo-fascists on the far left or those that have a vested interest in seeing western civilisation collapse. Both extremes will be encouraged by this spectacle, they both feed off it. This is why I believe it has no place in football. And I've said several times before on this forum (and prior to the events of last year), I don't agree with the poppy on shirts either.

If poppies and support for the armed forces is a more right wing phenomena these days, then it would be fair to say that it's the right, or right leaning thinking, that started this nonsense in football. Where is it going to end?

I would recommend anyone who hasn't already read this book to give it a go, regardless of your view point.

THE CLAPBACK - Your guide to calling out racial stereotypes - By Elijah Lawal

Clapback [noun/verb] - Responding to a (often ignorant) notion with a withering comeback; with the aim of shutting. it. down.

I acknowledged a while ago that I responded to arguments about racism in a very stereotypical manner and realised I needed to understand more about the topic before making any further comment. This book has helped me have a better understanding on many race related topics. Well worth a read.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clapback-Gu.../dp/B07MTK12QM

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    It's a submissive gesture hardly symbolising black pride or cousinly togetherness. It's now lost it's impact and become a routine. Without doubt some players couldn't care less but dare not stay standing for the good of their careers. Solidarity my arse.
    What would you rather they did? Punch a random white man?

Yeah it's an innocuous gesture, about as innocuous as can be imagined. And yet, look at the furore it "provokes"...

The taking of the knee is supposed to highlight racial inequality and of course it does up to a point and I have no problem with it for as long as it continues for. As long as people take the knee there will be a conversation about it and conversations create awareness. However I feel that the awareness tends to almost entirely be on black Americans who on a global basis are far from the most discriminated against race. It doesn't highlight the plight of Aboriginal Australians, native American indians, lower castes in India and so on. A more global perspective on racism is required through gestures such as this to make a difference but I guess its a start and thats good. I dont know the answer to this but were they taking the knee in the IPL before it was abandoned? As another poster also said earlier same footballers who are taking the knee will soon be off to a world cup in a country where gays are banned and many many people died building the stadia due to the appalling conditions and that gets brushed under the carpet. To me that is quite some irony.

Regarding the plight of the Aboriginal Aussies, to take a slightly different tack, there are now many jobs advertised as “indigenous identified only.” Whilst undoubtedly good that it encourages/ guarantees more employment for them, try advertising “Caucasian identified only.”

For those who want to leap about in indignation at that comment, the discussion/taking the knee is about highlighting racial equality or inequality, there’s an example right there.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeignLegion View Post
    Regarding the plight of the Aboriginal Aussies, to take a slightly different tack, there are now many jobs advertised as “indigenous identified only.” Whilst undoubtedly good that it encourages/ guarantees more employment for them, try advertising “Caucasian identified only.”

For those who want to leap about in indignation at that comment, the discussion/taking the knee is about highlighting racial equality or inequality, there’s an example right there.
    Any white Australian who cannot get a job in this country is unemployable. There are so many jobs its ridiculous. Given the fact that White Europeans basically invaded the country and forced their rule of law on the place taking over a population of people that were obviously far more primitive in some ways but also far smarter in others creating a plethora of issues such as alcoholism, petrol sniffing, theft and so on as we impressed our Western ways on them I think we are probably duty bound to provide them with every opportunity possible. As it is definitely a privilege to be living here.

Don’t disagree with that; the question is, equality or not? Nope, it ain’t, besides I’ve worked with a few of our indigenous brethren who have gone to the boss and said they are leaving the job, as they get paid more to sit at home.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast