+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Taking the knee - a double standard

Quote Originally Posted by ForeignLegion View Post
    Don’t disagree with that; the question is, equality or not? Nope, it ain’t, besides I’ve worked with a few of our indigenous brethren who have gone to the boss and said they are leaving the job, as they get paid more to sit at home.
    I don't think it can be equality though in this case at least. It's one of the effects of multi culturalism if you like. Aboriginal people are not equals of the white man in this country. They are totally different. Incentives that seek to bring Aboriginals into the work place by positively discriminating them, which are probably government funded anyway are no bad thing. However I would be interested to know how they are measured and if they work. Based on what I have heard they don't work and your example above highlights this. It's an very very difficult problem I think and I definitely do not have the answers. I still find it ridiculous that taking the knee is generalised at Black American racism / police brutality.

Up here there is a very high number of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders; many are employed and hold a range of positions. A lot of the Aboriginals in employment are of mixed race, the full blood ones from up the Cape are not interested in working and in many cases, unfit to work and/or unskilled. I’d say due to the high number of indigenous up here, they are afforded many opportunities and in that respect are “ the equal.” However, embedded deep in them is “walkabout” and the desire and ability to go and do so. Job will be waiting upon return too. Because of that and their general outlook on life and spiritual beliefs, they don’t want to be like the white fella.

Nobody has, or will ever have the answer/s, we’re alike but unalike, yet for the most part we all get along fine and colour/creed means nothing to the majority of us up here; sit down and have a beer together and yak about the footy.
    Last edited by ForeignLegion; 16-06-2021 at 06:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jampie View Post
    What would you rather they did? Punch a random white man?

Yeah it's an innocuous gesture, about as innocuous as can be imagined. And yet, look at the furore it "provokes"...
    Is that your alternate solution to any problem, punch a random person?

Quote Originally Posted by ForeignLegion View Post
    Up here there is a very high number of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders; many are employed and hold a range of positions. A lot of the Aboriginals in employment are of mixed race, the full blood ones from up the Cape are not interested in working and in many cases, unfit to work and/or unskilled. I’d say due to the high number of indigenous up here, they are afforded many opportunities and in that respect are “ the equal.” However, embedded deep in them is “walkabout” and the desire and ability to go and do so. Job will be waiting upon return too. Because of that and their general outlook on life and spiritual beliefs, they don’t want to be like the white fella.

Nobody has, or will ever have the answer/s, we’re alike but unalike, yet for the most part we all get along fine and colour/creed means nothing to the majority of us up here; sit down and have a beer together and yak about the footy.
    Here in the hinterland I have to say I live in "white Australia" a term you will know well I am sure. It's 98% white and its endemically racist in many parts as well. But yes I would agree with that for the most part we do get along fine over here. Perhaps we are just trying too hard to integrate when its actually not necessary. I wish I could do a bit more of the old walkabout myself but with a mortgage and 3 kids its simply not possible at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I go to a football match to watch a football match. If I want to do politics I do it at the ballot box.

I have a lot of sympathy for a lot of causes, but I go to Meadow Lane to watch Notts.
    Well said Elite.

I think the whole racism thing is now overplayed to the extent it is getting boring. It seems that the only people who are being 'affected' are non-white people and the only way white people can get in on the act is to feel offended on behalf of someone else.
    Before the 'Racist' shouters get on their soap boxes, for three years or so when arriving in a new country, my wife and I were subjected to Racism.
    Even now our son isn't entitled to the same education as some or the same funding because of his ethnicity.
    There are certain Educational Establishments he can't attend and certain roles he will not be offered in the Civil Service because of his ethnicity and colour.
    There are certain Healthcare benefits that neither he or we can get because of our colour or ethnicity.
    You know what we do about it? Get on with our lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Lullapie View Post
    I think the whole racism thing is now overplayed to the extent it is getting boring. It seems that the only people who are being 'affected' are non-white people and the only way white people can get in on the act is to feel offended on behalf of someone else.
    Before the 'Racist' shouters get on their soap boxes, for three years or so when arriving in a new country, my wife and I were subjected to Racism.
    Even now our son isn't entitled to the same education as some or the same funding because of his ethnicity.
    There are certain Educational Establishments he can't attend and certain roles he will not be offered in the Civil Service because of his ethnicity and colour.
    There are certain Healthcare benefits that neither he or we can get because of our colour or ethnicity.
    You know what we do about it? Get on with our lives.
    I seem to remember you are down under like me Lullapie am I correct? is this because you are a permanent resident and not a Citizen? QP.

What bothers me about the whole taking a knee thing is the expectation on people to do it, regardless of whether they want to or not. On top of that, there's this simplistic and dangerous argument that if you don't take the knee, you must be racist. In the same way that if you don't wear a poppy, you must have zero respect for people who fought and lost their lives serving the country. That's bull****.

In my opinion, what you think or feel about an issue is nobody's business unless you want it to be. Public gestures, particularly when performed through coercion, mean very little. I would rather live in a world where we all assumed everyone was decent and open-minded until they proved otherwise, rather than one where everyone is assumed guilty of thought-crime until they perform a certain gesture to prove otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    there's this simplistic and dangerous argument that if you don't take the knee, you must be racist
    Yep.

People want answers, so they choose simple answers to complicated questions.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    What bothers me about the whole taking a knee thing is the expectation on people to do it, regardless of whether they want to or not. On top of that, there's this simplistic and dangerous argument that if you don't take the knee, you must be racist.
    Maybe I’m a bit sheltered, but I’ve never seen that accusation made by anyone. I certainly can’t imagine it being made by anyone worth listening to.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast