+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Taking the knee - a double standard

O/T:- Taking the knee - a double standard

Can someone please explain to me why a black person, particularly a footballer taking the knee, should accept an honour which includes “British Empire” in its name? After all, the Empire was responsible for the start of racism and no government since then has really done anything about it. Perhaps these people should take note of the following quote by Benjamin Zephaniah the poet when he refused an honour offered to him, "I get angry when I hear the word 'empire'; it reminds me of slavery, it reminds me of thousands of years of brutality, it reminds me of how my foremothers were raped and my forefathers brutalised." Maybe they should examine their consciences because they cannot serve two masters.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 14-06-2021 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Added omitted Off Topic prefix

Quote Originally Posted by Supporter since 1951 View Post
    Can someone please explain to me why a black person, particularly a footballer taking the knee, should accept an honour which includes “British Empire” in its name? After all, the Empire was responsible for the start of racism and no government since then has really done anything about it. Perhaps these people should take note of the following quote by Benjamin Zephaniah the poet when he refused an honour offered to him, "I get angry when I hear the word 'empire'; it reminds me of slavery, it reminds me of thousands of years of brutality, it reminds me of how my foremothers were raped and my forefathers brutalised." Maybe they should examine their consciences because they cannot serve two masters.

Don't be such a snowflake.

Why should any republican be expected to sing God save the queen 51 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Borg elite View Post
    Is it a requirement ? I certainly wouldn't although thinking about that I've never been selected for England either. Coincidence ?

There's a little too much talk of knees for my liking and not enough of heads, shoulders and toes.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmagpie View Post
    Is it a requirement ? I certainly wouldn't although thinking about that I've never been selected for England either. Coincidence ?
    Is it the La Marsaeillaise for you frenchy?

The lads sing the national anthem then take the knee, the BLM protesters in America take the knee during the anthem, spot the difference ?

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Is it the La Marsaeillaise for you frenchy?
    Been here 14 years and still can't bring myself to support them, footie or rugby. Went to see Bordeaux once and I reckon Notts would give them a run. Wouldn't go back though.

Quote Originally Posted by Borg elite View Post
    Just for you . North Korean National Anthem

A ch'im un pinnara, i kangsan ungum e,

Chawon do kaduk han samch'olli,

Arumdaun nae choguk,

Panmannyon oraen ryoksa

E ch'allan han munhwa ro charanan

Sulgiroun inmin ui i yonggwang.

Mom gwa mam ta pach'yo,

I, choson kiri pattuse.

Ch'al paektusan kisang ul ta anko.

Kullo ui chongsin un kitturo.

Chilli ro mungch'yo jin oksen ttut

On segye apso nagari.

Sonnun him nodo do naemiro,

Inmin ui ttus uro son nara.

Han opsi pugang hanun

I choson kiri pinnaese.

Quote Originally Posted by Supporter since 1951 View Post
    After all, the Empire was responsible for the start of racism and no government since then has really done anything about it..
    I think you might find racism has been around long before the 16th century. And why shouldn't a black person be able to accept an honor? They contribute to society.
    Conflating Raheem Stirling getting an award, with taking the knee, is not a sensible argument. He got the award for

"fronting anti-racism and discrimination campaigns and speaking out strongly against racism".

I personally don't like politics being mixed with sport, but if a sector of society is being victimised, then they have to find ways to make their point.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast