+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: It's not going to end, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
    Between millions of folk dumping the NHS App so they won't get pinged and half the country not using it anyway because they're giving the Government even more personal data it's no wonder the ONS stats say that infections are going down despite hospital admissions rising - nobody's reporting it any more.
    ONS stats say infections are going down because fewer people are testing positive, when more people test positive it says infections are rising, nothing mysterious about it, it is what it is. I don't see the link between the number of people testing positive and the number of people dumping the NHS App to avoid being pinged.

It's no surprise that hospital admissions are still rising although the number of cases is now falling. There is a time lag between the two, in January cases peaked in England on December 31st, hospital admissions didn't start to fall until January 13th, over two weeks later. In Scotland this summer cases peaked on June 28th, hospital admissions peaked on July 13th, a virtually identical time lag. On that evidence, despite the fall in cases. hospital admissions can be expected to continue to rise until around the end of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    ONS stats say infections are going down because fewer people are testing positive
    Surely it's fewer people are reporting to the government that they've tested positive - i.e. not the same as actually testing positive.

The ONS data is based on a household survey and from that they extrapolate to give an estimate of the national picture. Initially only 20k households participated but the sample size is now approx double that - https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...fection-survey

Obviously those who signed up originally are now massively disincentivised to report any positive cases as they now know that all their mates and people they meet will have isolate.

ZOE data on the other hand, has almost 5 million respondents - a massively superior sample size snd less personal data risk

And ZOE says infections are substantially larger than the reported figures.
    Last edited by wanderlust; 26-07-2021 at 11:56 PM.

There were 8,808 deaths in England and Wales registered in the week ending 2 July 2021 (Week 26); this was 118 more deaths than the previous week (Week 25) and 5.2% below the five-year average (485 fewer deaths).

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...nding2july2021

8,808 - 2021
    9,339 - 2020
    9,458 - 2019
    9,256 - 2018
    9,627 - 2017
    9,365 - 2016
    9,312 - 2015
    8,946 - 2014

so when do Cases matter ?

If of the minority high risk, those with ongoing health conditions , under medication for hypertension, kidney/heart disease, diabetes etc etc....they will, but for the overwhelming majority, it's as he said....

so nothing new , same old same old - perhaps some chicken soup or a whiskey and honey.

but what am I thinking - they drank the Kool-aid.

Surely it's fewer people are reporting to the government that they've tested positive - i.e. not the same as actually testing positive.

The ONS data is based on a household survey and from that they extrapolate to give an estimate of the national picture. Initially only 20k households participated but the sample size is now approx double that - https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...fection-survey
    In which case Lusty, I apologise, the stats I use are from the GOV.UK website under the heading 'Cases by specimen date' and defined as 'Number of people with at least one positive COVID-19 test result, either lab-reported or rapid lateral flow test (England only), by specimen date.'

I assumed the ONS collated these figures, possibly they don't, but it's not really relevant, the stats I quote are those are used by SAGE, government and the media, they are what the media like to call the 'official' figures, they are the ones that were used to decide whether the road map tests had been met or not.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    In which case Lusty, I apologise, the stats I use are from the GOV.UK website under the heading 'Cases by specimen date' and defined as 'Number of people with at least one positive COVID-19 test result, either lab-reported or rapid lateral flow test (England only), by specimen date.'

I assumed the ONS collated these figures, possibly they don't, but it's not really relevant, the stats I quote are those are used by SAGE, government and the media, they are what the media like to call the 'official' figures, they are the ones that were used to decide whether the road map tests had been met or not.
    Their stated methodology is in the link I posted - it's a focus group.

The reality seems to be that the Government use stats to justify policy decisions rather than the other way round i.e. use stats to determine policy decisions.

I'm trying not to be paranoid about this big brother government but have you checked your phone recently?
    Go to settings and scroll down the apps to "Exposure Notifications" and check it out.
    I wasn't even aware that this app had apparently been put on every smart phone in the country without owner's consent until I saw that disabling it was trending.

Let me know if it's there.

My problem is that I've seen too much stuff like Hypernormalistion, Cambridge Analytica and Brexit;the Uncivil War to rest assured that the Government aren't manipulating the people of this country to do what they want us to do and vote how they want us to vote. And we already know our phones tell them where we are, where we shop, what we buy, who we are friends with, what we are worried about, how we are likely to vote and what needs to be done to change the opinion of enough of us to swing it their way.
    I want everyone to be safe but at the same time I am concerned about the massive erosion of personal and civil rights that is occurring - ironically sold as "Freedom" whether it's freedom from covid restrictions or freedom from the EU.

Read in the paper this morning that they're putting forward a new bill that says that anyone convicted of burglary will be released after a year but it will be compulsory to wear a leg tag. I have mixed views about that as nobody wants convicted burglars wandering the streets but there's already a cottage industry in "fooling the leg tag" and the path of travel can only lead to one place eventually - subcutaneous chip implants for the entire population - I've seen the movie

Cases continue to fall, if this trend continues, some very clever people are going to be looking very silly indeed. And so are the hslfwit politicians who are in thrall to them.

....at the same time I am concerned about the massive erosion of personal and civil rights that is occurring - ironically sold as "Freedom" whether it's freedom from covid restrictions or freedom from the EU.

Read in the paper this morning that they're putting forward a new bill that says that anyone convicted of burglary will be released after a year but it will be compulsory to wear a leg tag. I have mixed views about that as nobody wants convicted burglars wandering the streets but there's already a cottage industry in "fooling the leg tag" and the path of travel can only lead to one place eventually - subcutaneous chip implants for the entire population - I've seen the movie
    as am sure you realise, it's how the system is structured - Wander....big money and the global powerhouses, own Governments, they place their lapdogs in positions of power to generate the movements and inseminate their agenda....and old game, developed on a different level to that of the People who they pressure with the fear button of petty distraction while They...go about their scheming and thieving unfettered.

Power seems to be so far up
    The man on the street ain't got a clue
    The high top cat's running your life
    Thinks the problem is me and you

The Problem · J.J. Cale

Not his best work - I never got past Okie and Naturally in the 70's plus his songs covered by Clapton and Beefheart etc - but he's got a point.

Not his best work - I never got past Okie and Naturally in the 70's plus his songs covered by Clapton and Beefheart etc - but he's got a point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D836o2rIGqA
    doesn't do it for me...Wander - not liking theose strings, a "nice" arrangement, easy listening - but doesn't move me....For Beefheart, I want to Feel the Electricity.

Mirror Man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBk20ujrZZU

Same Old Blues....this puppy digs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQmrtOuZgug

and Okie....Old man and Me - Never long enough !

Cheers.

Back in the mists of time, sometime in the early 70s, Beefheart was playing Preston Guild Hall, I was given tickets for a birthday present, no better pressy could I have asked for. Then I got ill and couldn't go, so I never got to see him or his Magic Band.

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)