+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/t besides me

O/t besides me

Has anyone made a good life for themselves by not having a school exam.
    I thought a GCE was a fridge.
    Left school at 15 worked down maltby pit as an electrician. Army as telecommunications
    Mechanic for 10years.
    came out got bus driving licence. Steel works for donkeys years. All menial jobs, but constant work all my life. No mortgage debts ,good pension. So what do qualifications do?

I think it's a lot harder these days to get by without 'school' qualifications as many jobs that 'need' them have moved away from the type of manual labour you describe Crash. When you started work I doubt there were many jobs people could do sitting on their arse all day, today I'd say more than 50% can. Getting a 'trade' that needs qualifications but not necessarily academic ones is probably as lucrative as it's ever been, especially here in the US where much of it is controlled by unions. You won't get an electrician to work on your house for less than $150-$200/hour. That's why I do my own (but don't tell any property inspectors ).

Hated school...wagged it.
    HGV Driver..not doing too bad, still got mortgage.
    On a separate note, my wife works as a teaching assistant and feck me teachers talk to you like your a pupil still..f@#king patronising bas@#rds they are.
    Night night

When I worked in Woolwich Arsenal there was a retirement presentation for the ‘ site electrician” This particular sparky had done many years service, starting with time in the army where he learned his trade and finishing up being the section head with a team of 10 or so others.

During his thank you speech he dropped a snippet of information that he was colour blind.

Apparently in the army he wasn’t tested for colourblindness nor did anybody ask him if he had a problem with colours

Totally screwed up my exams, only left with one grade c and drifted for a few years on benefits and homeless. Thank **** for the access to education course I stumbled on at RCAT. Changed my life and will be forever grateful. Never too late to change sh1t around. (unless you're really old!)

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    When I worked in Woolwich Arsenal there was a retirement presentation for the ‘ site electrician” This particular sparky had done many years service, starting with time in the army where he learned his trade and finishing up being the section head with a team of 10 or so others.

During his thank you speech he dropped a snippet of information that he was colour blind.

Apparently in the army he wasn’t tested for colourblindness nor did anybody ask him if he had a problem with colours
    An early case of Black Live Matters?

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    An early case of Black Live Matters?
    Lol yeah

Can you imagine him being in bomb disposal?

Do I cut the brown wire or the brown wire?

I'd say I've made a good life, as Crash puts it, in spite of the exams I passed rather than because of them.

I have a good retentive memory and I'm good at passing exams but virtually nothing I learned from GCEs and a degree course has been of value in the line of work I've pursued.

The only value those pieces of paper offered was as a key to apply for certain types of job - which is sad. Everything I then learned was on the job and from vocational training that I took after I started work.

Don't get me wrong, I got a lot out of academic learning - but that's all it was. Had **** -all to do with preparing me for what came next.

I can still state Boyles Law today and recite a poem in French about a fox and a crow. About as much use as a chocolate fire guard really.

A lot of people say that they would only go back to school for the holidays, and I’d be one of them.

Didn’t stop my career though which earned me a good living in so far as a divorce allows, but got through all this, remarried live in a nice house with Mrs. Nardendee and my 2 doggies called eyuppthee, and eckythump.

Max Boyce once did a routine. He said that the only subjects he passed his GCE’s in were Religious Education and Woodwork, so the careers office suggested a career as an Undertaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Nardendee View Post
    I can still state Boyles Law today and recite a poem in French about a fox and a crow. About as much use as a chocolate fire guard really.

A lot of people say that they would only go back to school for the holidays, and I’d be one of them.

Didn’t stop my career though which earned me a good living in so far as a divorce allows, but got through all this, remarried live in a nice house with Mrs. Nardendee and my 2 doggies called eyuppthee, and eckythump.

Max Boyce once did a routine. He said that the only subjects he passed his GCE’s in were Religious Education and Woodwork, so the careers office suggested a career as an Undertaker.
    Remember all that time we spent getting to grips with logarithms and log tables?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast