+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: OT GB News

Been happening for a while though.
    The BBC has Ethnic minorities make up 22% of actors and presenters while only representing 12% of British population
    They even employ a box ticker guru (June Sarpong) on £270k P.A for a 3 day week?
    Yet the main area they fall down is the disabled, where no one says a damned word about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Isn’t that ‘overrepresentation’ referred to in the article kind of inevitable given that racism and homophobia are two of the most significant issues we face in society today.
    As a result they are both likely to be the topics of many dramas and soap operas alike.
    Maybe the same survey would reach a similarly startling conclusion by suggesting that chefs, police officers and doctors are over represented on TV because cookery programmes, crime and hospital dramas all happen to be popular.
    The BBC's head of Diversity doesn't agree with you. I did mention that I hoped the appointment of Tim Davie would see a recalibration, and June Sarpong (the box ticker mentioned by TTR) stated last year that 'the broadcaster is failing to forge a connection with white middle class Britons' due to its focus on the BAME community. Words are easy however, and she doean't appear to be making very good inroads

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    The BBC's head of Diversity doesn't agree with you. I did mention that I hoped the appointment of Tim Davie would see a recalibration, and June Sarpong (the box ticker mentioned by TTR) stated last year that 'the broadcaster is failing to forge a connection with white middle class Britons' due to its focus on the BAME community. Words are easy however, and she doean't appear to be making very good inroads
    Okay...you increasingly seem to have a bit of a ‘chip’ about the poor old ‘white middle class Britons’ and how hard done to we are.
    There are occasions when I (almost) ‘get’ where you’re coming from but, overall, as a ‘white, middle class’ (and late middle aged) ‘Briton’ I don’t share your anxiety and am actually quite happy for TV to concentrate on the needs and problems of those who, historically, haven’t shared in the benefits of our particular ‘power group’.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Okay...you increasingly seem to have a bit of a ‘chip’ about the poor old ‘white middle class Britons’ and how hard done to we are.
    There are occasions when I (almost) ‘get’ where you’re coming from but, overall, as a ‘white, middle class’ (and late middle aged) ‘Briton’ I don’t share your anxiety and am actually quite happy for TV to concentrate on the needs and problems of those who, historically, haven’t shared in the benefits of our particular ‘power group’.
    Well if you (almost) get where I'm coming from and I (almost) accept that some of the skew may arise from the urgent issues of the day, therein lies room for a more nuanced discussion some time

RA the poor old white middle class/middle aged britain you talk about, pay a license fee as well
    At the moment they are being shelved in favour of BAME/non hetro .

Now taking a ball out of your court, that's fine. But it's being done to an extreme and rammed down throats.
    The word missing here, is equality. I absolutely endorse it, but not to have "my box" ignored/watered down for it.
    That is what causes division in the first place, that they are supposed to be addressing.

It doesn't help either when whites are barred from recruitment.
    So that chip you mention, isn't one of malice, its annoyance.
    That's another reason license purchasing is tumbling.
    Even though they are hounding pensioners again, their focus programme wise is elsewhere.
    https://theoneworldnews.com/europe/b...nel-for-young/

The irony of all this is though. All the BBC bigwigs are white/male/middle, upper class, gammons

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    RA the poor old white middle class/middle aged britain you talk about, pay a license fee as well

Now taking a ball out of your court, that's fine. But it's being done to an extreme and rammed down throats.
    The word missing here, is equality. I absolutely endorse it, but not to have "my box" ignored/watered down for it.
    That is what causes division in the first place, that they are supposed to be addressing.

Even though they are hounding pensioners again, their focus programme wise is elsewhere.

The irony of all this is though. All the BBC bigwigs are white/male/middle, upper class, gammons
    Tricky, unlike you I pay a licence fee and I am two years into pensioner ‘status’. I have never felt ‘short changed’ in terms of what is available for me to watch via the BBC.
    I have no idea what ‘programmes for pensioners’ even means. Should I have suddenly stopped watching programmes such as ‘Line of Duty’, ‘MOTD’, ‘Countryfile’, ‘BBC Breakfast’ and ‘Baptiste’ because I have gone past the age of 65? And I defy you to find any pro ‘BAME/anti hetro’ bias in those programmes. I’m also certain that if you Google a list of the BBC’s most popular programmes you’ll find plenty that appeal to pensioners.
    As for the rest of your post...I’ve honestly little idea of what most of it means. You might be shocked that some programmes aimed more particularly at what you call a ‘BAME/non hetro’ audience usually appear in the 10.45 onwards slot on certain evenings, but looking at the balance overall, and going back to that aforementioned Google list, the balance is overwhelmingly white and probably hetero***ual although tbh, I may not have noticed something that, again unlike you, 0I’m not totally hung up on and preoccupied with.

Whenever you like, Andy...and as ‘nuanced’ as you like.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 04-08-2021 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Jeez, failing to connect with middle class white Briton's?? What utter bollox and more examples of this fake culture war the right is manufacturing knowing its pandering to the narrow minded fools - now that's why there is division in the world - those who are privileged feel threatened if their privilege is under threat.

Bleats by men - women are given a unfair advantage, too much focus on BAME community, or the LGBT community, FFS! Of course there needs to be a focus on groups that historically have been ignored, discriminated and disadvantaged, tough if the white gammons don't like it, but actually if it makes anyone uneasy that the person in a drama, or advert or presenting the news doesn't look like them, then they have the problem!

My worry about the BBC is that it seems over eager not to upset the government at the moment, very muted criticism of Johnson and this governments misdeeds, now that's something we should all be worried about - state influence and eventual control over broadcasting is a classic sign of authoritarianism and that never ends well.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post

The biggest irony is that most of them and certainly the head honchos are also Tories or right leaning politically!

By the way, whites are not barred from recruitment (its illegal) unless there is a specific reason as to why someone from a BAME background is required - another myth peddled by ignorant people, to go with you immigration lowers wages crap!

If you going to trot out right wing polemic, fed to you by the elite who know what dog whistles to blow for the credulous. please try some that can be substantiated with facts, rather than those that are myths in the so called victim white tossers!

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Jeez, failing to connect with middle class white Briton's?? What utter bollox
    But its not me saying it Swale, its the BBC Head of Cultural diversity, who is a) relatively young, b) female and c) black, and no doubt could intellectually have you as a light snack. Is she another we should add to your list of idiots who fail to agree with your narrow vision? The total continues to rise

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)