+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: OT GB News

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Tricky, unlike you I pay a licence fee and I am two years into pensioner ‘status’. I have never felt ‘short changed’ in terms of what is available for me to watch via the BBC.
    .... ‘Line of Duty’, ‘MOTD’, ‘Countryfile’, ‘BBC Breakfast’ and ‘Baptiste’ I defy you to find any pro ‘BAME/anti hetro’ bias in those programmes.
    I just checked and the most recent Line of Duty and Countryfile were both overrepresented. Now, the nuanced discussion could be 'is that to encourage more non-white folk into fighting crime and into the countryside' but the further discussion could then be 'should the BBC's role be to represent how the country is or how they want it to be'?
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 05-08-2021 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    But its not me saying it Swale, its the BBC Head of Cultural diversity, who is a) relatively young, b) female and c) black, and no doubt could intellectually have you as a light snack. Is she another we should add to your list of idiots who fail to agree with your narrow vision? The total continues to rise
    ...and there, inadvertently, you have touched on the crucial point of the issue, Andy.
    To you, and most certainly to Tricky, someone’s age, gender, ethnicity and s exual orientation are crucial to your perception of who they are and what they think. You’re obsessed with it.
    To me, and I suspect Swale, those factors are almost irrelevant. It’s what people say and believe and how they act that matters, not which of the above four ‘boxes’ they tick.

P.S. Please explain to me how either ‘Line of Duty’ or ‘Countryfile’ are ‘over represented’ by ‘BAME/non hetero***ual’ characters or presenters and, for that matter, how you can ‘check’. I don’t know if you watch either, but just consider the main protagonists in the former and the majority of presenters in the latter.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 05-08-2021 at 08:51 AM.

Allow me an observation, not having watched either of the programmes in question. However I know what country file is about, but more about the country environment, having grown up on a farm and having family still in the farming business.

On the basis of my experience, for every 100 presenters, if they are to represent the demographic of the base of the program:

1) there should be 1 BAME presenter in 100. I had reached the age of 18 having seen one mixed race person in the local community. Little has changed today, save for the establishment of an Indian restaurant in the area

2) LBTQ etc representation should be approximately the same - a cousin of mine came out at age 50+, other than that chances of finding an openly LBTQ etc person are virtually nil, although what the real proportion is remains clouded "in closets"

3) Until recently, there should be about 40 to 50 eastern european presenters to reflect the now departed (and much missed) romanian, polish etc etc transient fruit and veg pickers.

So does the presentation style of country file match this?

...and there, inadvertently, you have touched on the crucial point of the issue, Andy.
    To you, and most certainly to Tricky, someone’s age, gender, ethnicity and s exual orientation are crucial to your perception of who they are and what they think. You’re obsessed with it.
    To me, and I suspect Swale, those factors are almost irrelevant. It’s what people say and believe and how they act that matters, not which of the above four ‘boxes’ they tick.

P.S. Please explain to me how either ‘Line of Duty’ or ‘Countryfile’ are ‘over represented’ by ‘BAME/non hetero***ual’ characters or presenters and, for that matter, how you can ‘check’. I don’t know if you watch either, but just consider the main protagonists in the former and the majority of presenters in the latter.
    P.P.S. Just googled ‘Line of Duty Cast’. Clumsy I know...but out of 38 main characters, 28, including nine of the top ten, are white.
    As far as ‘Countryfile’ is concerned...the same process describes 25 presenters of whom 23 are white (one disabled) along with two who might be best described as one British Asian and one ‘mixed race’ if we really have to profile individuals in this way.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 05-08-2021 at 09:12 AM.

When will everybody realise there is but 1 race? The human race.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Nice sentiment MA but I think we all realise that very few people think that way. End of the day, with 7 billion carbon based units infesting and destroying the planet, its all about survival of the fittest

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Totally agree MA...and it saddened me to have to delve into ‘quotas’ this morning, but facts are a useful tool when people post nonsense and it’s never been ‘all about the survival of the fittest’, GP.

This photo explains it better than any words could......

Name:  racism eggs.JPG
Views: 70
Size:  27.9 KB

Sorry MA, you are being very discriminatory against double yolked eggs - I suppose the word is TWINIST?

P.P.S. Just googled ‘Line of Duty Cast’. Clumsy I know...but out of 38 main characters, 28, including nine of the top ten, are white.
    As far as ‘Countryfile’ is concerned...the same process describes 25 presenters of whom 23 are white (one disabled) along with two who might be best described as one British Asian and one ‘mixed race’ if we really have to profile individuals in this way.
    But even your numbers (on Line Of Duty, not sure where you got Countryfile from, there are only 9 current presenters) make my point rather than yours. 10 of 38 = 26%, about double the 13% in the community. Using the IMDB and wiki entries the percentage is 43%.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)