+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: OT GB News

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    But even your numbers (on Line Of Duty, not sure where you got Countryfile from, there are only 9 current presenters) make my point rather than yours. 10 of 38 = 26%, about double the 13% in the community. Using the IMDB and wiki entries the percentage is 43%.
    Jesus wept Andy...how stubborn can you be? I provided you with the history of Countryfile presenters including the current bunch and the figures I provided you with are correct. All I did was google ‘Countryfile presenters’. Try it, I know it doesn’t fit your narrative but the outcome will unavoidably be that the vast majority are white, probably middle class and I have no idea or interest in their ***ual preference, but I’d suspect the majority are hetero***ual too.

As for ‘Line of Duty’...which community are you talking about? The community as a whole - aka society - or the community within which that particular drama is set. The balance will inevitably change according to context eg the balance of the cast of ‘Small Axe’ will necessarily be very different to a drama/series set in the Yorkshire Dales or some Scottish Island. The fact is again that the vast majority of the ‘major players’ in ‘Line of Duty’ are white so you can rest easy in your bed content in the knowledge that your apparent obsessions regarding race and colour remain unchallenged. Unfortunately for you perhaps, the days of Coronation Street and East Enders being populated only by white people have, I believe, long gone...they even allow people of colour, other than Trevor MacDonald, to read the news these days and I’m told that one of the BBC’s better news readers is actually - shock, horror - a lesbian!

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Jesus wept Andy...how stubborn can you be? I provided you with the history of Countryfile presenters including the current bunch and the figures I provided you with are correct. All I did was google ‘Countryfile presenters’. Try it, I know it doesn’t fit your narrative but the outcome will unavoidably be that the vast majority are white, probably middle class and I have no idea or interest in their ***ual preference, but I’d suspect the majority are hetero***ual too.

As for ‘Line of Duty’...which community are you talking about? The community as a whole - aka society - or the community within which that particular drama is set. The balance will inevitably change according to context eg the balance of the cast of ‘Small Axe’ will necessarily be very different to a drama/series set in the Yorkshire Dales or some Scottish Island. The fact is again that the vast majority of the ‘major players’ in ‘Line of Duty’ are white so you can rest easy in your bed content in the knowledge that your apparent obsessions regarding race and colour remain unchallenged. Unfortunately for you perhaps, the days of Coronation Street and East Enders being populated only by white people have, I believe, long gone...they even allow people of colour, other than Trevor MacDonald, to read the news these days and I’m told that one of the BBC’s better news readers is actually - shock, horror - a lesbian!
    OK I give up and I'll move on

Just an observation but things do seem to be getting a tad tetchy on a couple of threads. Is lockdown starting to have detrimental effects on folk? It is well documented that it has caused increased tension and mental health issues across the populace. Has that now reached footymad Rams forum?

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Just an observation but things do seem to be getting a tad tetchy on a couple of threads. Is lockdown starting to have detrimental effects on folk? It is well documented that it has caused increased tension and mental health issues across the populace. Has that now reached footymad Rams forum?
    Maybe you're right MA (not excluding myself by the way), problem being some of those getting tetchy also get tetchy when I close or threaten to close said threads. The Brexit one's been going for five years now and not changed anyon's stance an inch, maybe time to consign it to history

Maybe you're right MA (not excluding myself by the way), problem being some of those getting tetchy also get tetchy when I close or threaten to close said threads. The Brexit one's been going for five years now and not changed anyon's stance an inch, maybe time to consign it to history
    With respect, AF...you and GP appear to have ‘changed your stance’ rather more than an inch. You both began thinking it was a bad idea i.e. you said you voted against it, and now, along with TTR, are the only posters who regularly defend it.

Again with respect, you seem to be developing a habit of closing down or backing away from debates when you are shown to be wrong or in danger of losing the argument. I don’t really want to go over old ground but closing the Brexit thread will be the fourth such occasion in the last two weeks. If people want to post on that topic...let them. If they want to ignore it...that’s their choice...imo.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    With respect, AF...you and GP appear to have ‘changed your stance’ rather more than an inch. You both began thinking it was a bad idea i.e. you said you voted against it, and now, along with TTR, are the only posters who regularly defend it.

Again with respect, you seem to be developing a habit of closing down or backing away from debates when you are shown to be wrong or in danger of losing the argument. I don’t really want to go over old ground but closing the Brexit thread will be the fourth such occasion in the last two weeks. If people want to post on that topic...let them. If they want to ignore it...that’s their choice...imo.
    Can't agree with you on either point sorry - My stance from my first series of posts on the Brexit thread has been that although I voted Remain I accepted the result and believed we should all make the best of it for the good of us as individuals and for the nation.

We've had two 'debates' recently, and with both I just decided to let you have the last word. Both centred on statistics and/or data provenance to prove/reinforce a point and I know who was right and who was wrong, but you seemed determined to have the last word. That habit (in many of us) has been the cause of a lot of the 'techiness' MA talks of, and I just decided to 'let it go', that's all.

Can't agree with you on either point sorry - My stance from my first series of posts on the Brexit thread has been that although I voted Remain I accepted the result and believed we should all make the best of it for the good of us as individuals and for the nation.

We've had two 'debates' recently, and with both I just decided to let you have the last word. Both centred on statistics and/or data provenance to prove/reinforce a point and I know who was right and who was wrong, but you seemed determined to have the last word. That habit (in many of us) has been the cause of a lot of the 'techiness' MA talks of, and I just decided to 'let it go', that's all.
    So someone sticks a knife in your leg and instead of trying to recover the situation, you shrug your shoulders and say, "wel its done now" what can we do about it?

In any case its not about whining or not accepting the result, such as it was, but a case of just reminding people what they supposedly voted for and pointing out where what was promised hasn't happened. Which to be fair is quite a lot.

I mean this current government rely upon people forgetting what they promised them 6 months, 9 months 2 years ago because they knew then as now it wasn't achievable and used peoples genuine grievances to secure a Brexit which is in nobody but the rich hedge funds interest.

Also we could and I suspect will rejoin the single market and customs union in the not too distant future.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    So someone sticks a knife in your leg and instead of trying to recover the situation, you shrug your shoulders and say, "wel its done now" what can we do about it?

In any case its not about whining or not accepting the result, such as it was, but a case of just reminding people what they supposedly voted for and pointing out where what was promised hasn't happened. Which to be fair is quite a lot.

I mean this current government rely upon people forgetting what they promised them 6 months, 9 months 2 years ago because they knew then as now it wasn't achievable and used peoples genuine grievances to secure a Brexit which is in nobody but the rich hedge funds interest.

Also we could and I suspect will rejoin the single market and customs union in the not too distant future.
    Yes, exactly. Your analogy is what I and I guess GP would support, and continuing the analogy, yourself and rA are seeking to unstab your legs, which is impossible
    In any case its not about whining or not accepting the result, such as it was,
    Don't make me laugh, do you not recall '37percentgate'? That seemed to go on for decades
    but a case of just reminding people what they supposedly voted for and pointing out where what was promised hasn't happened. Which to be fair is quite a lot.

Open to debate some would say, but yes I'll give you the reminding/pointing out bit

...a Brexit which is in nobody but the rich hedge funds interest.
    Worth a deeper debate, I've seen a lot of my long standing friendship group recently (varied in 'prosperity') and apart from travel bureaucracy they haven't really seen any negative impact 'right in their faces' and a few have seen benefits (dealing with china and Turkey, handling East European medical tourism) so as far as they are concerned it was a bit of a non-event and maybe even a benefit. The downsides are just too hidden
    Also we could and I suspect will rejoin the single market and customs union in the not too distant future
    If that includes freedom of movement of EU people there is NO chance, any Government reintroducing that would be wiped out for a generation, regardless of any possible benefits of doing so and of course I can see some (not all) of said benefits

Also we could and I suspect will rejoin the single market and customs union in the not too distant future
    If that includes freedom of movement of EU people there is NO chance, any Government reintroducing that would be wiped out for a generation, regardless of any possible benefits of doing so and of course I can see some (not all) of said benefits

Basically then, that means rejoining the EU?
    You cannot be in those things, with the EU imposing its rules on you, regarding trade rules/freedom of movement/ Eu law.
    Though in effect that is still a side show to the way the EU wants to go.
    The United States of Europe is the goal with many of them and always has been. Good luck convincing the average Joe Bloggs with that.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_of_Europe

Verhoftstadt wrote a book on it and has been crowing ever since.
    His latest claim to glory, is that the EU dominated the Olympics and the flag should be worn on the shirts.

Yes, exactly. Your analogy is what I and I guess GP would support, and continuing the analogy, yourself and rA are seeking to unstab your legs, which is impossible

Ridiculous analogy...of course you can’t ‘unstab’ your leg...but you can look at what’s actually happened, treat the wound, stop sepsis setting in and, if necessary, apply a tourniquet and stop yourself bleeding to death. In order to that that, of course, you have to recognise the problem.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)