+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: OT GB News

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Ra I can watch anything you watch for free. I just don't see it live.
    Now before you go off on one, about my selfishness of not paying for it.

Consider this.
    The BBC for example, makes programmes like Black Adder/Red Dwarf/ Dads Army, all of which I love, off the back of license payers money.

It then sells them again for profit, to other companies like UK Gold among others. It also sells them to other companies and ones it has shares in like Brit Box who show them with ADVERTS!!!!!!

Talk about having your cake and eating it.

So my loyalty has nothing to do with finance etc. It has to do with presentation and the others like the BBC and Sky do so, for profit whilst forcing their leanings on you.
    Pay for it if you want it, look for something else if you dont.
    I'll give GB news a go and see. It doesn't cost me anything and has to be watchable or it gets NO FUNDING.

Winner winner, chicken dinner
    Honestly Tricky...don’t be so defensive. I don’t care what you watch...would have just been interested in an ‘insider’s’ take on ‘Time’...to me it’s brilliant TV but very, very harrowing. I used to work with ‘troubled’ ****agers and we used to invite prisoners and young offenders into school to tell tales of life inside which would hopefully act as a deterrent. I’d just show them an episode or two of ‘Time’ now...scary but excellent stuff.

As regards Sky and BBC...I don’t have a problem with either. I think there’s excellent stuff and complete dross on both but each to their own. One difference though is that while my Sky package costs over £110 per month, access to everything the BBC provides amounts to a very small fraction of that. In short I think the BBC offers excellent value for money.

Andy...I just don’t recognise this BBC bias you regularly talk about. Maybe some clear and objective examples might help. I also don’t understand your logic which seems to be along the lines of...’let’s counter the perceived left wing bias with a news channel devoted to right wing bias’. That’s not ‘balance’...you don’t object to the Guardian and read the Telegraph instead in the hope of finding truth and balance...all you’ve accessed are two forms of bias...the absolute antithesis of what you’re looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Honestly Tricky...don’t be so defensive. I don’t care what you watch...would have just been interested in an ‘insider’s’ take on ‘Time’...to me it’s brilliant TV but very, very harrowing. I used to work with ‘troubled’ ****agers and we used to invite prisoners and young offenders into school to tell tales of life inside which would hopefully act as a deterrent. I’d just show them an episode or two of ‘Time’ now...scary but excellent stuff.

As regards Sky and BBC...I don’t have a problem with either. I think there’s excellent stuff and complete dross on both but each to their own. One difference though is that while my Sky package costs over £110 per month, access to everything the BBC provides amounts to a very small fraction of that. In short I think the BBC offers excellent value for money.

Andy...I just don’t recognise this BBC bias you regularly talk about. Maybe some clear and objective examples might help. I also don’t understand your logic which seems to be along the lines of...’let’s counter the perceived left wing bias with a news channel devoted to right wing bias’. That’s not ‘balance’...you don’t object to the Guardian and read the Telegraph instead in the hope of finding truth and balance...all you’ve accessed are two forms of bias...the absolute antithesis of what you’re looking for.
    Unfortunately rA the proles have swallowed the bull**** about BBC bias, it plays to their prejudiced view of life. The whole BBC bias issue has been researched and shown to be clearly false. But I guess any balanced media does a difficult job, and generally these people only want to hear things that coincide with their world view, not anything that challenges it.

Anyone who harps on constantly about the "excessive" BAME representation on the BBC and other media clearly lacks objectivity or judgement. I don't notice it at all, but then I guess maybe I'm not so constrained by my environment. I don't feel threatened by people who are different!

Its kind of ironic that Neil was employed by the BBC, a right wing journalist FFS! But then false culture wars on "woke" attracts the numpties who haven't the intelligence to see through the noise!

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    The whole BBC bias issue has been researched and shown to be clearly false. But I guess any balanced media does a difficult job, and generally these people only want to hear things that coincide with their world view, not anything that challenges it.

Anyone who harps on constantly about the "excessive" BAME representation on the BBC and other media clearly lacks objectivity or judgement. I don't notice it at all, but then I guess maybe I'm not so constrained by my environment. I don't feel threatened by people who are different!

Its kind of ironic that Neil was employed by the BBC, a right wing journalist FFS!
    Can’t help but agree with everything above Swale. I just don’t care whether the ‘News’ is provided by someone who’s black, Asian, white, gay, hetero***ual...whatever. Like you...I don’t really even notice...at least I didn’t before all this.

As it happens I’m currently watching the BBC lunchtime News. Having been ‘made aware’, I note...the anchor is Rita Chakrabarti who seems to do a good, relatively undemanding, job very well, and the vast majority of contributions have been made by white men in suits. I haven’t, so far, seen any evidence of bias...just uncontentious objectivity.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    It was a social statement and is has, and will, lead to significant social change (both for good and bad) as well as economic and political, and that's easily referenced on the first page of internet searches, including research by LSE amongst others. So, wrong again.

I suggest if you want to be taken seriously even your view might be better received if not peppered with insults against those who don't share your views
    Really? Mm thats the problem with the internet, the ill informed interpret things in a way which suits their argument rather than actually looking at things in the round!

If those who voted for Brexit thought they were making a social statement, then that merely confirms they didn't actually know what it was they were voting for beyond vague principles that clearly weren't true!

The impact of Brexit will be political and economic, of course factors such as social change cannot be totally separated from political and economic factors, all are interconnected. But Brexit will have no effect on changing social values and the liberalising of ideas and norms, the anguished flailing of those who think things have changed too much is pointless. The current group of politicians who use the culture war, knowing its popular with some of their voters are well aware of this fact, but its useful to hide their real agenda and after all they know perfectly well that many will swallow anything they perceive to be in line with their beliefs.

History shows that government did nothing to support the suffragette movement, yet eventually it prevailed, the Tories tried to stifle open discussion and acceptance of homo***uality, but failed. There are so many examples of how social change gets accepted and becomes mainstream despite the wails of the stick in the muds. They are trying to pretend we are post racist but will fail.

The pace of social change will continue and all that will be left is the sad anguished cries of those who use terms like "Broadly non racist" or moan incessantly about excessive BAME representation in the media or that taking the knee is pointless.

As for being taken seriously? Mm why should I give a ****? Experience has shown mean that there are those who are deaf to everything other than what they wish to hear. I really don't care if anybody on here takes a blind bit of notice I'm not the one moaning all the time!

Can’t help but agree with everything above Swale. I just don’t care whether the ‘News’ is provided by someone who’s black, Asian, white, gay, hetero***ual...whatever. Like you...I don’t really even notice...at least I didn’t before all this.

As it happens I’m currently watching the BBC lunchtime News. Having been ‘made aware’, I note...the anchor is Rita Chakrabarti who seems to do a good, relatively undemanding, job very well, and the vast majority of contributions have been made by white men in suits. I haven’t, so far, seen any evidence of bias...just uncontentious objectivity.
    Yes very well indeed
    Her and the BBC so very professional and unbiased
    https://www.newswars.com/bbc-news-pr...ing-interview/
    https://metro.co.uk/2021/03/19/huw-e...logy-14273203/

Yes very well indeed
    Her and the BBC so very professional and unbiased
    https://www.newswars.com/bbc-news-pr...ing-interview/
    https://metro.co.uk/2021/03/19/huw-e...logy-14273203/
    Lol...I actually identified Rita Chakrabarti who you seem to have misunderstood as Naga Munchetty...still I suppose they’re both of Asian appearance and got lots of unfamiliar syllables in their names so probably both the same you.

As for the flag ‘sha**ers’. I’m not surprised they laughed. It’s pathetic Tricky...it’s like every Tory spokesman has joined the Boy Scouts in 1959...a Union flag or sometimes a Union Jack badge, better still with a picture of the Queen behind them, all seems to have become mandatory.

Unfortunately the Right (Brexit, UKIP, the NF, the BNP and now this government) has a habit of ‘stealing’ the flag to show how ‘patriotic’ they are. It doesn’t work, well not for most of us...just sad and slightly risible.

Correct, two forms of bias! You’ve agreed on print press that there is a bias to most of the dailies, my opinion is that such bias exists on screen too. And I think my approach to the truth ( soaking up both sides and assessing from that some sort of balance) is, sorry to use the word, superior to yours of choosing a source that provides the truth you like and ignoring the other view(s). That attitude is what makes media like Facebook such a ****up

Regarding BBC bias, I’ll PM you as i don’t want Swale’s bile all over it
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 17-06-2021 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Correct, two forms of bias! You’ve agreed on print press that there is a bias to most of the dailies, my opinion is that such bias exists on screen too. And I think my approach to the truth ( soaking up both sides and assessing from that some sort of balance) is, sorry to use the word, superior to yours of choosing a source that provides the truth you like and ignoring the other view(s). That attitude is what makes media like Facebook such a ****up
    I have ‘agreed on print press that there is a bias to most of the dailies’...but it’s a very unequal bias, with the Guardian and the Mirror generally displaying leftish bias and the Express, Mail, Sun, Telegraph and Times all leaning heavily to the Right.

With the i/Independent the nearest we have to a genuinely unbiased publication I’m not sure where that leaves your argument, but you’ll struggle to disagree with my appraisal - it’s just true as far as the major dailies are concerned - and that means we have a largely right of centre Press.

We differ regarding the TV aspect of the media but I’m still waiting for those clear and objective examples of BBC political bias you’ve yet to come up with.

Lol...I actually identified Rita Chakrabarti who you seem to have misunderstood as Naga Munchetty...still I suppose they’re both of Asian appearance and got lots of unfamiliar syllables in their names so probably both the same you.

As for the flag ‘sha**ers’. I’m not surprised they laughed. It’s pathetic Tricky...it’s like every Tory spokesman has joined the Boy Scouts in 1959...a Union flag or sometimes a Union Jack badge, better still with a picture of the Queen behind them, all seems to have become mandatory.

Unfortunately the Right (Brexit, UKIP, the NF, the BNP and now this government) has a habit of ‘stealing’ the flag to show how ‘patriotic’ they are. It doesn’t work, well not for most of us...just sad and slightly risible.
    I knew exactly who you meant, even if you didn't.
    So it's funny when the Tories are laughed at(being the government), having the flag in shot.
    Yet when the Welsh Scots assemblies etc show their flags, it doesn't warrent a comment?
    Perhaps, the flag of St George would make everyone happy?

Funny how Starmer himself has now embraced it and told his troops to do so?
    Pick a country, USA/Canada/France/Oz?
    They have no problem with their flag. But have a left leaning, snowflake generation who seem embarressed by ours.
    Yet those same whiners, have no problem kissing the blue rag?

But you missed the point AGAIN. The BBC as a "neutral" mainstream news outlet, show their colours by mocking the flag and government.
    British and neutral my arse.

I knew exactly who you meant, even if you didn't.
    So it's funny when the Tories are laughed at(being the government), having the flag in shot.
    Yet when the Welsh Scots assemblies etc show their flags, it doesn't warrent a comment?
    Perhaps, the flag of St George would make everyone happy?

Funny how Starmer himself has now embraced it and told his troops to do so?
    Pick a country, USA/Canada/France/Oz?
    They have no problem with their flag. But have a left leaning, snowflake generation who seem embarressed by ours.
    Yet those same whiners, have no problem kissing the blue rag?

But you missed the point AGAIN. The BBC as a "neutral" mainstream news outlet, show their colours by mocking the flag and government.
    British and neutral my arse.
    Good job you did. You’re the one who challenged it by identifying someone totally different.

They’re not ‘mocking the flag’ or the government...they’re mocking politicians unashamedly trying to big themselves up via flag waving jingoism.

No one questions flags flying from certain buildings etc...it’s the new trend for not allowing a minister to speak without having at least one Union flag behind him, or better still...framed by two...that makes people laugh.

Btw...both Reeta Chakrabarti and Naga Munchetty were born in England.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)