+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: OT GB News

"it’s the new trend for not allowing a minister to speak without having at least one Union flag behind him, or better still...framed by two...that makes people laugh."

Aye, you'd never catch the demi God Uncle Tony doing that back in the day:

Name:  1111.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  6.4 KB

Name:  2222.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  8.5 KB

Name:  3333.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  7.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    "it’s the new trend for not allowing a minister to speak without having at least one Union flag behind him, or better still...framed by two...that makes people laugh."

Back with a bang GP!

Lol...welcome back GP. Good comeback...your TTR needs you!

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Lol...welcome back GP. Good comeback...your TTR needs you!
    Actually the flag was always there. It's only been in the last 10 years the rise of WOKE has demonised it.
    Now its a symbol of Racism/colonialism/oppression/far right activity?

Yes Labour slaughtered Thatcher for waving the flag, liberating the Falklands. Then as shown, Blair embraced it.

Still dancing around what I said RA. The BBC is supposed to be neutral. Whether they are laughing at the flag or ministers, says volumes to me.

Still, I supposed I should be happy with the level the left hate the union flag.
    It can't be half as bad as the way they hate the star of David, compared to the PLO rag.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Actually the flag was always there. It's only been in the last 10 years the rise of WOKE has demonised it.
    Now its a symbol of Racism/colonialism/oppression/far right activity?

Yes Labour slaughtered Thatcher for waving the flag, liberating the Falklands. Then as shown, Blair embraced it.

Still dancing around what I said RA. The BBC is supposed to be neutral. Whether they are laughing at the flag or ministers, says volumes to me.

Still, I supposed I should be happy with the level the left hate the union flag.
    It can't be half as bad as the way they hate the star of David, compared to the PLO rag.
    See what I mean, GP?

The only reason the Union Jack has become regarded as a symbol synonymous with racism and far right activity is because it’s been ‘hijacked’ by every far right organisation going over the last fifty-sixty years.

I’m not sure the ‘left’ display a level of hatred for the Union flag and my own reservations are certainly confined to its association with openly racist organisations.

Not sure what the relevance of your reference to ‘the Star of David and the PLO rag’ is, but as regards the current Government’s infatuation with the Union flag...suffice it to say I’d grown out of flags and badges by the time my voice broke.

P.S. Thinking back...perhaps the images of Blair in front of the Union Flag were part of his attempt to introduce a rather healthier culture of ‘Cool Britannia’ as opposed to today’s more jingoistic approach.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 18-06-2021 at 01:20 PM.

"See what I mean, GP?" No actually I don't

Flags and other symbols of national "pride" have been hijacked by politicians since the end of the first world war - if not before. By Oswald Moseley, by Winston Churchill etc to harness the nation behind their agendae and so on. This continues to be the case, Starmer being the most recent newcomer to try to jump on the bandwagon - as did pretty much every post war leader, even this one:

Name:  4444.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  45.2 KB

The union and st george's flags have been hijacked by the right for sure, but on the other hand the national flag has been hijacked as a symbol of all the is bad in the UK today by the left, the WOKE etc to symbolise everything they despise in our contemporary society.

I wish people would just leave flags etc alone and come up with their own symbols instead of corrupting something that did mean a lot to many people. but which now has been cheapened to the extent that its being used for personal ends, one way or the other

The union and st george's flags have been hijacked by the right for sure, but on the other hand the national flag has been hijacked as a symbol of all the is bad in the UK today by the left, the WOKE etc to symbolise everything they despise in our contemporary society.

I wish people would just leave flags etc alone and come up with their own symbols instead of corrupting something that did mean a lot to many people. but which now has been cheapened to the extent that its being used for personal ends, one way or the other
    I recognise the sense of your second sentence, but as regards the first, 1) I’m glad we agree about the behaviour of the Right. 2) WOKE stand against all forms of discrimination. They don’t, imo, see the flag as a ‘symbol of all that is bad in the UK today’, but, unfortunately, as an emblem adopted by the ‘Right’ and thus synonymous with the discrimination opposed by WOKE.

On a ‘chicken or the egg’ basis, I’d say the original ‘hijacking’ of the Union Flag by the ‘Right’ has to be largely to blame for the scenario that has developed, and if, perhaps in your student days, you ever came across a Union Jack/Cross of St. George waving NF mob you’d know exactly what I mean.

I recognise the sense of your second sentence, but as regards the first, 1) I’m glad we agree about the behaviour of the Right. 2) WOKE stand against all forms of discrimination. They don’t, imo, see the flag as a ‘symbol of all that is bad in the UK today’, but, unfortunately, as an emblem adopted by the ‘Right’ and thus synonymous with the discrimination opposed by WOKE.

On a ‘chicken or the egg’ basis, I’d say the original ‘hijacking’ of the Union Flag by the ‘Right’ has to be largely to blame for the scenario that has developed, and if, perhaps in your student days, you ever came across a Union Jack/Cross of St. George waving NF mob you’d know exactly what I mean.
    I didn't encounter much NF action in Birmingham (possibly more by luck than judgement) but did encounter a lot of pro IRA pressure groups in the local pubs who had adopted their own flag as a symbol, so its not just "us". These groups went underground after the Tavern / Mulberry Bush.

I think you must have come across the flag waving extremists at Rugby League games in the uncivilised parts of the north whilst going to away games with the Roughyeds Army in Hunslet, Batley or Dewsbury.

I didn't encounter much NF action in Birmingham (possibly more by luck than judgement) but did encounter a lot of pro IRA pressure groups in the local pubs who had adopted their own flag as a symbol, so its not just "us". These groups went underground after the Tavern / Mulberry Bush.

I think you must have come across the flag waving extremists at Rugby League games in the uncivilised parts of the north whilst going to away games with the Roughyeds Army in Hunslet, Batley or Dewsbury.
    Hmmm...I see your ability to stay on topic hasn’t improved during your absence.

Anyway...nice to see Dick Dastardly and Muttley reunited. Enjoy tonight.

Hmmm...I see your ability to stay on topic hasn’t improved during your absence.

Anyway...nice to see Dick Dastardly and Muttley reunited. Enjoy tonight.
    I was always a fan of the Arkansas Chuggabug

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)