+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 57 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro 2020

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post

The last time we beat a German national side at Wembley.
    ...and that was only a friendly! I reckon the last competitive Wembley win over a German national side was the final in 1966...is that right?
    Last edited by SwalePie; 23-06-2021 at 11:09 PM.

Only team that has properly bossed it so far is Italy.

They're my tip for winners.

On to the Germans next for us.....SIGH!!!

Let's just hope Southgate wants redemption for the penalty miss in Euro '96.

I bet you it gets played over 100 times on TV over the next week!

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    ...and that was only a friendly! I reckon the last competitive Wembley win over a German national side was the final in 1966...is that right?
    Records are there to be broken Swale.

And all on the 30 th anniversary of our previous victory.
    I celebrated with a war cocktail.

Don Oriordan now there was a great player

Knowing us we will beat Germany and then lose to Sweden or Ukraine.

I'm loving this tournament so far, quality games again last night. As the commentator mentioned in the France. Vs Portugal game having 3rd place teams qualify keeps the group's very interesting down to the final whistle of the final group match.

Seeing that Germany couldn't beat Hungary in Munich and are generally considered to have one the poorest squads they've ever had, England ought to be able to beat them at Wembley. To lose the QF against Sweden or Ukraine would be embarrassing, so they should make the semi-finals at least.

I'm fairly indifferent when it comes to England. I am English but have ancestry from at least two of the other home nations, possibly some Irish as well. I don't wish England to lose but the last time I found myself properly willing them to win was 2008, largely because it was the first tournament my eldest was engaged with.
    Objectively, I think you've got to give them a very good chance now. If they go out to Germany after having chucked away the best chance they will ever be given to reach a World Cup final (avoiding every single one of Brazil, Argentina, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Holland, Belgium, the host nation and potentially tricky games with home nations), I don't see much point in sticking with Southgate who has to be the weakest link. England have very good players and it would seem the manager is holding them back.
    We'll see what happens. I'm supporting Wales for now.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Seeing that Germany couldn't beat Hungary in Munich and are generally considered to have one the poorest squads they've ever had, England ought to be able to beat them at Wembley. To lose the QF against Sweden or Ukraine would be embarrassing, so they should make the semi-finals at least.

I'm not expecting us to beat Germany, the other way around in fact.
    If everything clicks we have a good chance, but underperforming is easier to imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post

I'm fairly indifferent when it comes to England. I am English but have ancestry from at least two of the other home nations, possibly some Irish as well. I don't wish England to lose but the last time I found myself properly willing them to win was 2008, largely because it was the first tournament my eldest was engaged with.
    Objectively, I think you've got to give them a very good chance now. If they go out to Germany after having chucked away the best chance they will ever be given to reach a World Cup final (avoiding every single one of Brazil, Argentina, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Holland, Belgium, the host nation and potentially tricky games with home nations), I don't see much point in sticking with Southgate who has to be the weakest link. England have very good players and it would seem the manager is holding them back.
    We'll see what happens. I'm supporting Wales for now.
    Make some very good points here.

I have been pro-Southgate since he came in just because of his stubborn approach to playing younger players and doing things in a way that tries to silence the press. BUT...when you look at it, 2018 was defo a year where England could have won it. It's very fine margins. Extra time in a Semi final is almost as close you can get to the actual final itself.

As you said though...who did England play that were actually any good?

Page 8 of 57 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast