+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 57 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro 2020

I'm thinking that the pressure is on Germany. Most folk will predict them to win but that alone is enough to un-nerve them and have them looking over their shoulders. They won't be used to a huge vocal crowd after mostly empty stadia whereas England supporters will be letting rip their support the best way they know how. Lastly, they struggled against an unfancied Hungary and knowing they nearly finished bottom in their group won't do their confidence much good.

Ooh! I do feel almost convinced myself after that.

Quote Originally Posted by MancMagpie View Post
    Make some very good points here.

I have been pro-Southgate since he came in just because of his stubborn approach to playing younger players and doing things in a way that tries to silence the press. BUT...when you look at it, 2018 was defo a year where England could have won it. It's very fine margins. Extra time in a Semi final is almost as close you can get to the actual final itself.

As you said though...who did England play that were actually any good?
    It’s irrelevant who England played. A bit like this tournament where so called lesser teams are on our side of the draw, we can’t control that. All England could do was win the group. If other more fancied teams couldn’t then that’s on them. A bit like the World Cup.
    IF and it’s a big IF we get to the final or win it I can see some saying that we achieved it without having to play anyone decent. Again we can only play the team that’s on the pitch and have no control over what the other teams do.
    If FIFA rankings are to be taken seriously the only other top 10 side in our side of the draw is Denmark. A team that has beaten us recently. So yes Germany presents a tough challenge but so will Denmark and or The Netherlands if we get that far.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    It’s irrelevant who England played. A bit like this tournament where so called lesser teams are on our side of the draw, we can’t control that. All England could do was win the group. If other more fancied teams couldn’t then that’s on them. A bit like the World Cup.
    IF and it’s a big IF we get to the final or win it I can see some saying that we achieved it without having to play anyone decent. Again we can only play the team that’s on the pitch and have no control over what the other teams do.
    If FIFA rankings are to be taken seriously the only other top 10 side in our side of the draw is Denmark. A team that has beaten us recently. So yes Germany presents a tough challenge but so will Denmark and or The Netherlands if we get that far.
    Course it matters who you play. Sweden are playing Ukraine, we’re playing Germany, who do you think has the tougher game? In 2002 we played Brazil, in 2018 we played Sweden, our chances of beating one were much bigger than the other, and so it proved. To put it into a Notts context, in the 1991 FA QF we played Spurs away, we could have played Cambridge at home, who would you have preferred?

I think we have a very good chance of beating Germany. If the players were my age they might have a bit of a mental block about playing them in a tournament knock out, but thankfully they’re much younger so hopefully won’t have. After that, I’d say we’re more than capable of beating Sweden/Ukraine in Rome, then probably the Dutch at Wembley. With the best will in the world, I can’t see us beating whoever comes out of the other half of the draw in a final.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Course it matters who you play. Sweden are playing Ukraine, we’re playing Germany, who do you think has the tougher game? In 2002 we played Brazil, in 2018 we played Sweden, our chances of beating one were much bigger than the other, and so it proved. To put it into a Notts context, in the 1991 FA QF we played Spurs away, we could have played Cambridge at home, who would you have preferred?

I think we have a very good chance of beating Germany. If the players were my age they might have a bit of a mental block about playing them in a tournament knock out, but thankfully they’re much younger so hopefully won’t have. After that, I’d say we’re more than capable of beating Sweden/Ukraine in Rome, then probably the Dutch at Wembley. With the best will in the world, I can’t see us beating whoever comes out of the other half of the draw in a final.
    Wouldn't it be nice to see England get to a final of a major tournament. It's never happened in my lifetime and it's about time. It would be a great Sunday, especially if there are some big screens around Nottz. We had a great chance 3 years ago and if we beat Germany I think we have a great chance again given our half of the draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice to see England get to a final of a major tournament. It's never happened in my lifetime and it's about time. It would be a great Sunday, especially if there are some big screens around Nottz. We had a great chance 3 years ago and if we beat Germany I think we have a great chance again given our half of the draw.
    Would be great wouldn’t it? Unbelievable that I’ve been following England for 40 years and we haven’t.

Then I realise my club is 3 leagues lower than when I started supporting it, and I start to think it must be me…

Would be great wouldn’t it? Unbelievable that I’ve been following England for 40 years and we haven’t.

Then I realise my club is 3 leagues lower than when I started supporting it, and I start to think it must be me…
    I'm hopeful. I think England have the slight edge - unless it goes to penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Ross View Post
    I'm hopeful. I think England have the slight edge - unless it goes to penalties.
    Talksport asked listeners to text in with what they thought might be the defining image of this tournament a week or so ago. The one that stuck out as the most realistic was Gareth Southgate with a consoling arm around a weeping Harry Kane after he'd missed the last spot kick in the shoot out.

Most England fans would probably accept going out on pens in the semis as a decent run worthy of some praise.

Going out to Germany if they'd played them in the QF probably would have been just about acceptable.

Going out in the last 16 however will spark some anger and fans won't accept losing to Sweden or Ukraine. They do have to make the semi-finals now. Would be amazing if it was against Wales. Happy to see Kasper's Denmark progress though if not.

Wales 1-0 down, under the cosh at the min.

C'mon you Wales......

Look at the last sentence of the post I was replying to. I was merely stating that we can’t control who we play. It was the poster I was responding to who was stating that we didn’t play anyone decent in 2018. My point is it that it’s out of our control.
    We have more than a fighting chance of making a final if we can get past a tough last 16 game.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Wales 1-0 down, under the cosh at the min.

C'mon you Wales......

2-0 down now, well under the cosh, over and out................

Page 9 of 57 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast