+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T:- Matlock v Stags

O/T:- Matlock v Stags

Matlock are beating the Stags 1 - 0 and then had a player sent off. Nigel Clough voluntarily took the Stags down to 10 players. Don't see something like that happen very often...
    Last edited by SwalePie; 16-07-2021 at 10:33 PM.

A sending off in a friendly is rare, so it must have been blatant. Usually the manager is 'requested' to make a substitution.

Not sure I explained it very well. It was the Matlock player sent off, and the Stags evened it up by taking their player off. I've seen managers told to sub a player, so as not to have that player sent off in a friendly, but not seen the 'aggrieved' team voluntarily go down to 10 men.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    A sending off in a friendly is rare, so it must have been blatant. Usually the manager is 'requested' to make a substitution.
    Mansfield Twitter has it as a second yellow for pulling someone back!

Some seriously officious reffing there, don’t need to be sending anyone off in a pre-season friendly unless it’s a leg breaking tackle or they’ve punched someone.

Quote Originally Posted by cher1 View Post
    Not sure I explained it very well. It was the Matlock player sent off, and the Stags evened it up by taking their player off.
    That's just how I read it. I was saying that usually the Matlock manager would have been 'advised' by the ref to sub his offending player.

Either very sporting from Mr Clough, or he wants his team to have a good workout!

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    Mansfield Twitter has it as a second yellow for pulling someone back!

Some seriously officious reffing there, don’t need to be sending anyone off in a pre-season friendly unless it’s a leg breaking tackle or they’ve punched someone.
    A pre-season friendly and someone has to foil an attack by a blatant foul risking a second yellow, serves him right. Good for you, Nigel.