+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Pies

Pies

Shoo Chalky.

I’m fed up with being served up with summat that has pastry only on the top described as a pie. It f­ucking isn’t. A pie is fully encased in pastry, short-crust or puff it really doesn’t matter, so a bottomless concoction is just a covered stew. And don’t get me started on stuff covered in mashed spud. A ‘shepherd’s pie’ is just mince and tatties done vertically instead of horizontally. I tell you, chefs need a good talking to.

Anywhere that rolls up its sausage into a circle that it can't even fit in a hot dog cob has no right to complain about pies,in fact I've never even seen a bottomless pie,how do you get it out of the glass heater to the tray in the chippy?

I wish I could say it was a North American thing, but they used to do it in South Yorkshire as well.

Here they call it a "pot pie", ****ing philistines, but at least you have a clue. Sheffield's national dish is meat and potato pie with Henderson's relish soaked into the top - and it's a pie with no sides. It's like trying to be a concert pianist with no hands.

It's basically a stew in a pot with a pasty lid on.

It's cultural genocide, don't deny me my ****ing pastry you *******s.

Quote Originally Posted by cocopops61 View Post
    Anywhere that rolls up its sausage into a circle that it can't even fit in a hot dog cob has no right to complain about pies,in fact I've never even seen a bottomless pie,how do you get it out of the glass heater to the tray in the chippy?
    A true Cumberland sausage isn’t a circle, Chalky, though a lot of our black puddings are. A true Cumberland sausage is as long as its maker wants and without links; I saw one a quarter of a mile long on display in Keswick when I was a callow youth. Imagine the bun you’d need for that.

Our butchers in Cockermouth make really good sausage though the longest I’ve seen was just a few feet.

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    Shoo Chalky.

. A ‘shepherd’s pie’ is just mince and tatties done vertically instead of horizontally. I tell you, chefs need a good talking to.
    Confusing shepherds pie with cottage pie? Scotch pies are good if you don't mind the lamb fat dripping all over.

Black puddings are a marvel and every country has their own version, although I have not seen it in the USA where they don't eat offal. I tried getting a haggis thru customs one time ... I thought I would end up sectioned such was the kerfuffle "Its what!??!".

In Uruguay it is very sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by cayambe View Post
    Confusing shepherds pie with cottage pie? Scotch pies are good if you don't mind the lamb fat dripping all over.
    Most recipes use lamb mince for shepherds pie and beef mince for cottage. Youse can chop up left-overs and use that but it’s still effectively minced meat. I love a good scotch pie, Graham’s in Aspatria used to sell them along with the best brown bread you’ve ever tasted.

Quote Originally Posted by cayambe View Post
    Scotch pies are good if you don't mind the lamb fat dripping all over.
    That is just plain disgusting and made me want to boff

Quote Originally Posted by Piglet_Phoenix View Post
    I wish I could say it was a North American thing, but they used to do it in South Yorkshire as well.

Here they call it a "pot pie", ****ing philistines, but at least you have a clue. Sheffield's national dish is meat and potato pie with Henderson's relish soaked into the top - and it's a pie with no sides. It's like trying to be a concert pianist with no hands.

It's basically a stew in a pot with a pasty lid on.

It's cultural genocide, don't deny me my ****ing pastry you *******s.
    I know someone from West Yorkshire and she bloody loves Henderson's relish

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)